Can I get a little testifying

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I just read Boro Nut's thread about Strikland breaking his cue during the Mosconi Cup and my first thought was "what a jerk". But then I immediately remembered smashing my own $250 Yamaha tennis racquet on the court about ten years ago. Speaking about jerks!

Well, I confessed. And now I'm wondering how many others here have thrown or broken their cues, tennis racquets, thrown their baseball glove into the river, or broke their TV because the reception was bad.

Come on, anyone feel like testifying?

Jim

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmyg said:
I just read Boro Nut's thread about Strikland breaking his cue during the Mosconi Cup and my first thought was "what a jerk". But then I immediately remembered smashing my own $250 Yamaha tennis racquet on the court about ten years ago. Speaking about jerks!

Well, I confessed. And now I'm wondering how many others here have thrown or broken their cues, tennis racquets, thrown their baseball glove into the river, or broke their TV because the reception was bad.

Jim

Last time we had this thread, there were lots of confessions and some holier than thou types condemning the confessors as well. Im not sure they will all come out this time. I know i wont.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Last time we had this thread, there were lots of confessions and some holier than thou types condemning the confessors as well. Im not sure they will all come out this time. I know i wont.

Must have missed that thread. Sure hope you're wrong.

Besides, Az is like a confessional, or speaking to your attorney or doctor, all confidential, privileged information.;)

Don't leave me hanging out there alone.

Jim

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok...I'm in...

back in the day...I broke about 8 sticks playing on my high school hockey team....in one season...all against the goal post:)...I played defense.

I broke the buttcap on my Black Boar after missing a case 9ball in a nothing tourney....uggg...I felt LAME!

last year I couldn't get my weed wacker to feed the line and I freaked out and grabbed it by the string end and whipped it against the drive way repeatedly....actually I felt better after that;)...my neighbor got a laugh out of it too.

thats it for now, I don't wanna seem like a psycho!...

Gerry

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
ok...I'm in...

back in the day...I broke about 8 sticks playing on my high school hockey team....in one season...all against the goal post:)...I played defense.

I broke the buttcap on my Black Boar after missing a case 9ball in a nothing tourney....uggg...I felt LAME!

last year I couldn't get my weed wacker to feed the line and I freaked out and grabbed it by the string end and whipped it against the drive way repeatedly....actually I felt better after that;)...my neighbor got a laugh out of it too.

thats it for now, I don't wanna seem like a psycho!...

Gerry

Psyco? Now who would think that>

Hockey sticks, pool cues, and a weedeater? Seems normal to me.

Sure hope your car starts in the morning.LOL!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I've only broken a house cue, that was one I owned. Was a great hitting stick, but I got pissed and broke it.

Oh and I've broken a golf club, wrapped it around a metal pole after a bad shot (was a 6 iron) damn near killed me when the head went flying past my own head.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jimmyg said:

Jim

Back in the early 70's I lived about 60 miles from Texarkana, Tx.

We got a call and were told that Terry Bell and Larry Hubbart were playing 9-ball that night for pretty big money.

Terrell, {best friend and partner in crime} hauled ass to Texarkana to watch the "Big Match".

After a couple of hours of nobody missing a ball, I got bored and played this Hippy with Hubbart some $20 9-ball. I thought of myself as the best in this part of the country and was anxious to prove it.

We were close for quite a while, but being relatively inexperienced, he began to wear me down and I WENT OFF. I raised the bet to $50 per game and ended up blowing about $600. That was a lot of money in those days and that hurt, but not nearly as much as the education. I was really embarrassed.

Terrell was in for half, but nothing bothered Terrell as he was the most "happy go lucky" fella who ever lived.

Terrell and I had identical cues and cases. They were early four point Joss cues made by Billy Stroud with two shafts. We thought we were mighty fancy.

When I quit the Hippy, I just walked right out the door saying nothing to anyone. We were in Terrell car and when he came out, neither said a word and just headed home. I was DEVASTED!

On the way we came up on the Red River and a pretty long bridge. I demanded Terrell to stop the car right in the middle of that dark bridge and Terrell started begging me not to jump. "Stop the dam car I screamed".

Terrell stopped and I got out and looked down at the old muddy river against the moonlight and then reached in the back seat and fired my cue right into the middle of the river. Terrell just stared at me rather speechless as we got into the car and headed home.

About 15 minutes later Terrell said, "Bud {that's what he always called me} I gotta ask ya a question?"

"Terrell, I don't want to talk about it, I just want to go home" I replied

"Okay Bud, I don't want to upset ya none" Terrell said

We pulled up in front of my house and Terrell rather quietly said, "Now Bud, I know you're upset over that nasty assed Hippy beatin ya, but I just gotta ask you a question"?

Now feeling a little chidish, "what Terrell, what's the question?

Well Bud I know you feel bad, but why in the hell did you throw MY cue in that dam river?"

That is the last time I threw anything.

Well, you guessed it, Terrell ended up with my stick.

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
I used to play (compete) tennis for 9 years... Throwed it a couple times... never to the point of breaking it.

Sometimes, when playing pool, I am just happy my cue is expensive!
Couldn't afford to be a jerk..

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:

We got a call and were told that Terry Bell and Larry Hubbart were playing 9-ball that night for pretty big money.

Terrell, {best friend and partner in crime} hauled ass to Texarkana to watch the "Big Match".

After a couple of hours of nobody missing a ball, I got bored and played this Hippy with Hubbart some $20 9-ball. I thought of myself as the best in this part of the country and was anxious to prove it.

We were close for quite a while, but being relatively inexperienced, he began to wear me down and I WENT OFF. I raised the bet to $50 per game and ended up blowing about $600. That was a lot of money in those days and that hurt, but not nearly as much as the education. I was really embarrassed.

Terrell was in for half, but nothing bothered Terrell as he was the most "happy go lucky" fella who ever lived.

Terrell and I had identical cues and cases. They were early four point Joss cues made by Billy Stroud with two shafts. We thought we were mighty fancy.

When I quit the Hippy, I just walked right out the door saying nothing to anyone. We were in Terrell car and when he came out, neither said a word and just headed home. I was DEVASTED!

On the way we came up on the Red River and a pretty long bridge. I demanded Terrell to stop the car right in the middle of that dark bridge and Terrell started begging me not to jump. "Stop the dam car I screamed".

Terrell stopped and I got out and looked down at the old muddy river against the moonlight and then reached in the back seat and fired my cue right into the middle of the river. Terrell just stared at me rather speechless as we got into the car and headed home.

About 15 minutes later Terrell said, "Bud {that's what he always called me} I gotta ask ya a question?"

We pulled up in front of my house and Terrell rather quietly said, "Now Bud, I know you're upset over that nasty assed Hippy beatin ya, but I just gotta ask you a question"?

Well Bud I know you feel bad, but why in the hell did you throw MY cue in that dam river?"

That is funny!

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:

SSo now you got us all wondering. Who was the hippy. back then was'nt larry hubbart running with mike sigel?????...................mike

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueball1950 said:
SSo now you got us all wondering. Who was the hippy. back then was'nt larry hubbart running with mike sigel?????...................mike

His name was Floyd and this was way back about 72 or 73. I never saw him again, but I sure wanted to. He beat me up pretty good. I was a while getting over it. Terrell was quite a while getting over it too.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Let's hear a Amen!

Sure does feel good to get this stuff off our chest here in private. Doesn't it?

Great story Ironman, your buddy had to be one cool guy to take that in stride like that.

Sensation, that was the first time I ever threw my racquet. I was playing against someone that was a level lower than me, a girl besides, and I just kept overhitting her slower paced ball. Was really pissed. When I smashed the racquet I really wanted to crawl under a rock.

Gerry, sorry, but you can't borrow anything from me.:D

Okay, I'll go all in. When I was about 20 I was trying on a pair of suit pants and the zipper got stuck. After fidgeting with it for about ten minutes, I literally ripped the pants into two.

Okay, Nostroke, it's your turn to give it up. You're in friendly territory.

Cueball 1950, fess up. You must have smashed something by now.

Over five thousand pool players on this forum and that's it. I ain't buying it.

You can even say that your friend did it.;)

Jim

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I have broken a pool cue once. The bad thing about it was that I was up on the guy when I did it. But, after that, it hit me....I dont play good enough to get that mad! So I have never done it again since. :D

Southpaw

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
LOL. I broke a lot of stuff. That about all ill say. But ive always come short of breaking my stick. I wouldnt have anything to play with.

nyjoe14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oooooops

I broke the same sneaky pete twice, the first time during a league and the second when I was gambling. Each time I had BHQ fix it. Hes got a lot of work from my bad temper LOL

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I've never broken anything before, or at least not any equipment.

However I do remember playing a game of 14.1 with a guy who, supposedly, had no chance beating me. Sadly I was no where near on top of my game, I was barely able to get any runs going. Actually I couldn't pot anything. My high run of the match was.......6!

It started out even at 20-20 or so. And then I fell behind 20-34, and then 30-50 and so forth. He wasn't running much himself, so it was not as though I was being completely outplayed. It was mix of me being a head case, and also not getting anything to work with and get some confidence back.

Eventually I was trailing 80-56, which usually isn't that insurmountable, however it is if you can't make more than 3 balls in a row. I took break and went outside to get some. While walking around I got the urge to hit something, so I turned around a punched the brick wall. BAD IDEA! Boy did that hurt.

I lost 150-56.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
funny how we tend to break things when we're really mad at ourselves.
I wonder, is this a "guy thing", or do women do the same?

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Let's see. I threw my snooker cue once or twice, luckily without damage!
Kicked the crap out of a lawnmower one time. My foot hurt like hell & the mower was pretty useless after.
As for punching stuff, walls, doors, filing cabinets, etc. My workmates actually had a tape of the music from Psycho they'd play whenever I went off!

Happily that was all when I was a lot younger, now I just curse. A lot!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Like Cameron, I too have never broken any piece of equipment that I have owned. I have a very relaxed temperment and I am not a very competitive person to begin with. I mean, winning is fun and all, but anything I have ever endeavored to do I go in with the mindset that I'm just gonna have fun with it and meet new faces and make new friends. Also, I'm not great at any one specific thing, but I am pretty good at a lot of things. I have won two fishing tournaments. I have won tournament MVP trophies twice in my softball playing days. I have won the Hi-Power Rifle Shooter of the Year plaque at our local gun club once. I was the recipient of the Physical Education award at my high school awards day in my Senior year. But, I'm not really great at any of these things, I just plug away at them. So, knowing that I'm not very good at something going into it has probably kept me from having to spend beaucoup bucks to replace equipment.

Maniac