AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Gold Crown I - Cover Slate Bolt Holes?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Gold Crown I - Cover Slate Bolt Holes?
Old
  (#1)
mattman
mattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud of

vCash: 425

Gold Crown I - Cover Slate Bolt Holes? - 04-27-2020, 08:09 PM

Hello, I have owned a Gold Crown I for nearly 20 years. In the past, when I covered my own table, I always filled the bolt holes. It has been disassembled for the last 5+ year and I have an outfit finally coming out to cover it this week. Guy says there is no need to cover the bolt holes. I ask what will happen if I slam a ball into the cushion where the bolt hole is located. He said no worries, they set back far enough.

What would you do, put on a couple of rails before they cover the table, and push a ball into the rail to see if it's true or just insists that they cover the holes? The guy might be right, but my gut tells me that every table is different.

(I am sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything)

What do you think?

Home Table: Gold Crown I
Valley Bar Table
Cue: 19oz Predator P2 Oak Stain
Shaft: 314-2 with Moori Medium
OB-1 with Everest Medium
Break Cue: Fury J/B
Recommended Billiards Supplier: www.zebrabilliards.com

Old
  (#2)
fastone371
Certifiable
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-28-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Hello, I have owned a Gold Crown I for nearly 20 years. In the past, when I covered my own table, I always filled the bolt holes. It has been disassembled for the last 5+ year and I have an outfit finally coming out to cover it this week. Guy says there is no need to cover the bolt holes. I ask what will happen if I slam a ball into the cushion where the bolt hole is located. He said no worries, they set back far enough.

What would you do, put on a couple of rails before they cover the table, and push a ball into the rail to see if it's true or just insists that they cover the holes? The guy might be right, but my gut tells me that every table is different.

(I am sure this has been discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything)

What do you think?
I also have a GCI, I did not fill the slate holes under the cushion that run parallel with the rail. Cloth has been on 5 or 6 years so far, in fact its due for new cloth and I have had no problems.

Old
  (#3)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-28-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
I also have a GCI, I did not fill the slate holes under the cushion that run parallel with the rail. Cloth has been on 5 or 6 years so far, in fact its due for new cloth and I have had no problems.
Just had mine setup, the mechanic did not fill them.

Old
  (#4)
PoolTable911
AdvancedBilliardSolutions
PoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300
  Send a message via AIM to PoolTable911  
04-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post

What do you think?
They do not need to be filled.

Patrick O'Donnell
609-709-2842 (Direct)
www.PoolTable911.com

"setnoc, you will be missed my friend"

Old
  (#5)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-28-2020, 01:54 PM

I have never heard of anyone filling those holes. Those holes would never come into play unless a crazy amount of the subrail was cut off by some hack, and maybe the wrong profile cushion installed, and in that case the fix would not be filling those holes, that deficiency would necessitate a subrail overhaul/recalibration. I almost had this exact same scenario on my Anniversary before I had the original rails overhauled by Jack Zimmerman. Somewhere in it's lifespan someone recut the subrail bevel to accommodate the new K-55 rubber, but later on I suppose someone else made the mistake of putting K-66 profile on them, which further reduced the depth of the subrail. Another good reason that simply recutting subrail bevel angles is not a good idea, not to mention what it does to other aspects of the table, like pocket shelves and playfield specs.

Last edited by Lawnboy77; 04-28-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Old
  (#6)
mattman
mattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud ofmattman has much to be proud of

vCash: 425

05-01-2020, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I feel a little at ease now.

Home Table: Gold Crown I
Valley Bar Table
Cue: 19oz Predator P2 Oak Stain
Shaft: 314-2 with Moori Medium
OB-1 with Everest Medium
Break Cue: Fury J/B
Recommended Billiards Supplier: www.zebrabilliards.com

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: