Cues by Castle- Jim Sforza

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have read, Jim Sforza from CA. is a Jeweler who learned cue making from Bert Schrager in the 90s. Jim's cues are inscribed "by Castle". Apparently Jim made some very high end elaborately inlayed cues 20-25 years ago that sold for $thousands.

I recently acquired a NEW "by Castle" cue for $300, looks like Jim is making and selling cues on e bay; and here is my take on it:

Beautiful Wood: Costa Rican Rosewood, from the same wood stock used by the Martin guitar company- some of the nicest wood I have ever seen on a cue.

Five sets of Five silver rings including shaft collar - stunning appearance!

Elephant Ear wrap ! Not done perfectly- I've seen better skin wrap work - but acceptable and ON A $300 cue! - never seen THAT before.

Elforyn joint, butt plate, overlapping shaft collar and ferrule. 3/8 10 pin

Triumph medium tip- I like how it plays and shapes

Very straight shaft- Stiffer taper starting at 13MM- like a Gilbert, or Capone

Overall very, very strong playing cue, hits like my Gilbert with an ivory joint. I replaced the aluminum weigh bolt with SS to get the cue weight up to 18.8 oz.- slight forward balance , even with the extra rear weight since the shaft weighs 4.2 oz.

Overall, I think, a very good new cue buy at $300 - I am still in awe of how well it plays!

Some photos:

Attachments

• IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 242
Last edited: