One of the best pool room scenes ever

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I have the DVD and have watched this film many times over the years. It isn't just a great pool movie, it is a great movie. If West Side Story was not released the same year, The Hustler would have taken best picture.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Classic For Sure...

For whatever reason...I always seem to notice that when Fats hits the break shot the CB looks like it hits the end rail and starts to come back out a bit...Then flash to the next scene and the CB is stuck in the corner pocket.

I don't think you are supposed to notice that though...;)

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Top film

DJKeys said:
I have the DVD and have watched this film many times over the years. It isn't just a great pool movie, it is a great movie. If West Side Story was not released the same year, The Hustler would have taken best picture.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Absolutely! I place The Hustler right with, or perhaps less than a half notch below, some of the top ten -or so- movies of all time. Actually, to me, much better than West Side Story.

Different, but in the same category as Gone With The Wind, Godfather 1 & 2, Apocalypse, Lawrence of Arabia, The English Patient, and a bunch of others. The characters may be even more complex than in the others.

Jim

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of funny how I knew the not only what movie, but what scene, even before clicking the link.

Obviously, I can't agree more. Makes you want to Gamble money on pool games, drink J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass, and play straight pool all day and all night.

Here is another link for some history about the movie, also check out imdb.com for some great tid bits. http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020617.html

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
BRKNRUN said:
Classic For Sure...

For whatever reason...I always seem to notice that when Fats hits the break shot the CB looks like it hits the end rail and starts to come back out a bit...Then flash to the next scene and the CB is stuck in the corner pocket.

I don't think you are supposed to notice that though...;)

Exactly. The first time I noticed it, I thought it was my imagination. But the cue was positively further away from the pocket before the camera angle changes.

Good catch.;)

Jim