Stroke hand shoulder pain

clarkie39

Registered
Ive been having some shoulder pain around my Delt muscle ...I've tried squaring up to the shot and tried a side stance. Doesnt seem to help. Even changed my grip. Any ideas?? Any thoughts would br greatly appreciated.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive been having some shoulder pain around my Delt muscle ...I've tried squaring up to the shot and tried a side stance. Doesnt seem to help. Even changed my grip. Any ideas?? Any thoughts would br greatly appreciated.

Yes. Your back foot may be outside the line of the shot forcing you to lean on your bridge arm so your cue can pass through without hitting your torso. I've seen this before.

If you're right-handed, move to the left. Vice-verse if you're left-handed. You should be feeling a slight lean to your back foot side rather than the other side.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
id go see an orthopedist to find out whats wrong with your shoulder
im not an instructor

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Break?

Do you move your body forward on your break or does it remain still while your arm thrusts forward?

For many years I broke just with arm motion and eventually developed some shoulder pain. When I gradually began to add (and control) stepping into the break, it took some of the pressure and impact off the shoulder and it made a difference. Also, I always warm up my break stroke, much like a baseball pitcher does...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look up rotator cuff injuries. Much info on the net with recommendations for home remedies. Basically rest and Ibuprofen. Heat can ease pain during recovery.

Here is one link that may be useful.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rotator-cuff-injury/DS00192/DSECTION=symptoms

i know you have the best intentions to try and help the op

but an orthopedist can make a proper diagnosis and give propper treatment
and probably recommend a series of rehabilitative exercises and stretching or refer to a physical therapist
having had shoulder issues for the past 20 years if you have insurance you dont want to "do it yourself"
go to a trained professional
jmho

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
High anxiety and/or stress can manifest itself in the neck and shoulder areas, as well....speaking from experience. (Several years with incessant pain. I had previous shoulder and neck injuries, so I thought it was related to them. Turns out once the bulk of the additional stress was removed from my life, the pain dissipated as well.)

I agree with everyone. Turn the mattress, do the egg crate thing, do the exercises AND see a Doctor if able to.

If stress/anxiety are related to the issue, fixing that will help a lot more than your pool game. Good luck!

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor, but I have experience in this from about a month ago. I honestly was not sure if the pain radiating from my shoulder was from the muscle or joint. I do not have medical insurance so I just went with what I thought it was...the joint.

I did 4 things:

1. Stopped playing pool or doing anything else which would put physical stress on my shoulder until there was no pain (I would do this whether it is your muscle or joint which is sore)

2. Took an anti-inflammatory

3. Bought a nice ice-pack

4. Bought some Osteo Bi-Flex (a generic of that, actually)

Two and a half weeks later I had no shoulder pain. I still take Osteo Bi-Flex and will continue to do so, and for a while I will be taking an anti-inflammatory prior to playing pool. My shoulder issues arose from me playing through soreness which developed from playing over the course of many hours. When this happens now, I simply call it a day. Additionally, I try to not put too much weight on my bridge hand when I'm in stance.

But if you have medical insurance and your shoulder is really giving you issues, I would recommend seeing a doctor.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara Stock developed severe shoulder pain in her bridge arm shoulder. It had gotten to the point where playing pool was so painful for her that she was on the brink of quitting.

She came to me hoping that I might spot something. I did, and I helped her correct her issue. She was crowding the shot with her torso and forcing herself to lean on her bridge arm to get out of the way of her cue coming through. This constant pressure was causing inflammation in her shoulder.

The fix was for her to move her feet about 6 inches. That was all she had to do. This put her in balance and immediately took the pressure off of her bridge arm. We also worked on her facing her shots a bit more. She never had shoulder pain again.

I'm not saying that this is definitely this person's problem, because I can't see them in their stance, but it sure sounds like it could be, especially if they haven't had any previous shoulder issues and there wasn't an injury.

By the way, I don't tell on clients, but Barbara had already made this info public in a forum.

Last edited:

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I agree with Fran.

There are a lot of body operation disruptions that can occur from the improper placement of the feet, which forces unnatural alignment of multiple muscle groups out of alignment.

Get a stance fundamentals evaluation from a good instructor. At the least, you can confirm you got it right and can focus on improving other areas of your game.

And follow up with the doctors.

Good luck.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with Fran.

There are a lot of body operation disruptions that can occur from the improper placement of the feet, which forces unnatural alignment of multiple muscle groups out of alignment.

Get a stance fundamentals evaluation from a good instructor. At the least, you can confirm you got it right and can focus on improving other areas of your game.

And follow up with the doctors.

Good luck.

good advice
im not an instructor

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you sleep on your side.........

Don't. if you do get some thick foam rubber to sleep on. You can get some nice thick pads at Walmart for about $70.

If you hurt your shoulder a little when you play it will give your shoulder a chance to heal up a little.

Good luck.........

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't. if you do get some thick foam rubber to sleep on. You can get some nice thick pads at Walmart for about $70.

If you hurt your shoulder a little when you play it will give your shoulder a chance to heal up a little.

Good luck.........

why cant more of you instructors tell the guy to see a doctor:confused::eek:
i dont get it
im not an instructor