Ivory Joint HairLine Crack

Bennett1042

Not sure if I'm in the right forum, I have a older JOSS ivory joint cue, that happen to have developed a few hairline cracks in the ivory joint. Not sure what to do, or how to go about getting the joint repaired. Believe the temperature change got me one day

Thanks

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Not sure if I'm in the right forum, I have a older JOSS ivory joint cue, that happen to have developed a few hairline cracks in the ivory joint. Not sure what to do, or how to go about getting the joint repaired. Believe the temperature change got me one day

Thanks

I would replace it with jumo...it will make the cue less collectible...but it will play better.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it causing a weird sound or playing differently? If it is just aesthetic then I would live with it.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I would replace it with jumo...it will make the cue less collectible...but it will play better.
Sorry, it's Juma not Jumo.
And it sure does not play as good as ivory.

Send that cue to Joss and let them decide.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks

Yep, the wood expansion and contraction is hard on ivory, which is brittle. That's why so many cue makers have special building techniques to avoid this problem, which is very common in older cues with ivory joints and buttcaps.

The joint is glued on. The hairline cracks may not be a structural issue, but if they do open up, a cue maker can epoxy them in. It's also possible to make a strong cosmetic repair nearly invisible. I probably wouldn't do anything unless the joint became structurally unsound.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sorry, it's Juma not Jumo.
And it sure does not play as good as ivory.

Send that cue to Joss and let them decide.

Yeah, I miscued on the spelling of juma.

It’s subjective....I don’t like ivory at all...I’m not an activist, it’s the hit I don’t like.
I owned several high end cues,,,late 70s, early 80s...they all had ivory ferrules...
...I had them all but one cut off...dowel and all.
I had one high priced Joss with an ivory joint....sold it the same week.

Repair guys used to beg me to keep the ivory intact....I’d tell them...
“I’m not going to keep the cue collectible, and lose my bankroll.”

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

I would change the joint. Depending on where you live and the ivory laws of your State, would determine the material used. If all is good with the laws, send it to Joss.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

It happens

If your gonna play with it, get it replaced first.

If your gonna sit on it-collect it. Leave it be.

Sucks either way.

Best of luck
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, the wood expansion and contraction is hard on ivory, which is brittle. That's why so many cue makers have special building techniques to avoid this problem, which is very common in older cues with ivory joints and buttcaps.

The joint is glued on. The hairline cracks may not be a structural issue, but if they do open up, a cue maker can epoxy them in. It's also possible to make a strong cosmetic repair nearly invisible. I probably wouldn't do anything unless the joint became structurally unsound.

This is solid advice too.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
fix it now, if you can.

Thanks

Purely a rhetorical question unless you happen to live in Florida(good news) California(bad news) or other states that have passed state laws but few people are risking shipping ivory across state lines these days, a minor detail of federal law. I would fix it now with replacement ivory if you find somebody in state that can do a decent job and has the ivory.

The price of ivory is crazy, ten times what it was ten years ago from what I see. It is going to get a lot crazier.

Hu

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could a veterinarian dentist put in a filling??:grin-square:
Sorry couldnt help myself
Good advice above

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it causing a weird sound or playing differently? If it is just aesthetic then I would live with it.

That's about what I was thinking. I've known a few folks who had cracked Ivory and it didn't affect the cue to a noticable degree.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I miscued on the spelling of juma.

It’s subjective....I don’t like ivory at all...I’m not an activist, it’s the hit I don’t like.
I owned several high end cues,,,late 70s, early 80s...they all had ivory ferrules...
...I had them all but one cut off...dowel and all.
I had one high priced Joss with an ivory joint....sold it the same week.

Repair guys used to beg me to keep the ivory intact....I’d tell them...
“I’m not going to keep the cue collectible, and lose my bankroll.”
I've also never had an Ivory jointed cue I liked.

Ferrules, yes.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I kind of liked the softer hit of an ivory joint cue, although I've only had a couple of them. But I was more of a "feel" player than a power player. I would never break with those cues though.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here you go again!

I kind of liked the softer hit of an ivory joint cue, although I've only had a couple of them. But I was more of a "feel" player than a power player. I would never break with those cues though.

I like a softer hit too. I used a short hard ferrule which did nothing to soften the hit but then I used a G-10 pin and Ivorine 4 joint collars to soften the hit.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have you showed it to a good cue maker?
he might pour some glue or some such in there and fix it
or repair it
or even put a new ivory joint on

If you have a friend in the cue biusiness with ivory
actually the price is still the same or less when you can find it

tusk seldom sell for $100 pound any more

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
joint collar blank $130

have you showed it to a good cue maker?
he might pour some glue or some such in there and fix it
or repair it
or even put a new ivory joint on

If you have a friend in the cue biusiness with ivory
actually the price is still the same or less when you can find it

tusk seldom sell for $100 pound any more

Note that Joe will not sell ivory outside of Florida, will not do what he suspects is straw sales, toes the mark and walks the line. The feds took a couple hundred pounds of legal ivory from him, about sixty thousand worth of cuban cigars for his personal use. and fined him about a quarter million.

Look at this price for a joint collar blank:
https://www.cuecomponents.com/ivjoco.html

Best I recall these blanks were fifteen dollars each or less ten years ago.

Hu