Why do we have ferrules anyway?

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's the time of night, but it seems to make more sense that a shaft has only a fibre pad and a choice of tip. No more worries about the strength of a tenon, threaded ferrules, or even cutting in to shaft wood. All with a significantly reduced front end mass for lesser deflection....

(Is it purely aesthetics as to why we have ferrules anyway?)

Does anyone have pics of this operation--the 'no' ferrule idea--and can describe the hit of it all?

Thanks guys. Help me get back to sleep.

will8834

Adcock Cues
Silver Member
Maybe it's the time of night, but it seems to make more sense that a shaft has only a fibre pad and a choice of tip. No more worries about the strength of a tenon, threaded ferrules, or even cutting in to shaft wood. All with a significantly reduced front end mass for lesser deflection....

(Is it purely aesthetics as to why we have ferrules anyway?)

Does anyone have pics of this operation--the 'no' ferrule idea--and can describe the hit of it all?

Thanks guys. Help me get back to sleep.

I use a pad and no ferrule on my cue. I have been using the same shaft with this set up for 2 yrs and really like it.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hey Will, long time no see. I'll second that, I have one of Will's laminated shafts, no ferrule, just a fibre pad and tip. Hardly can tell a difference.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Bob Jewett uses no ferrule. I have a shaft on which I have no ferrule but I like my Z2 better.

But you asked why we have ferrules. I believe it is to keep the shaft from spliltting or otherwise being damaged.

Last edited:

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
They also resist the sanding and cutting associated with tip installation better. shaft wood would easily damaged replacing tips.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They also resist the sanding and cutting associated with tip installation better. shaft wood would easily damaged replacing tips.

Along those lines you should add chalking. That is far more likely to damage the shaft than an occasional proper tip replacement. I have seen a groove wore all the way around an OB1 ferrule (made of wood) due to improper chalking. You can see it on many non wooden ferrules also, it just is not as apparent as it would be with bare wood.

Kelly

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Ferrules keep the people that are hard on stuff from ruining their shaft.
The hit is not all that different, the sound can be slightly different though.

I played without a ferrule for about 2 years, broke with it as hard as I could, too. I'd still be using it, but someone bought the thing from me, and I haven't made another one yet.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard of a few Black Boar shafts without ferrules, I havent seen them. They play great I have been told, by a couple people. Perhaps its a idea, I have awalys liked Ivory myeslf.