0 For 37

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my Gold Crown IV recovered in Powder Blue Simonis 860 on Wednesday evening. Looks very nice. I'll either have Apple Green (#1 choice) or Powder Blue on it all the time from now on out.

So today I went down to the table after the Terminix guy left. I broke and broke and broke racks of 9-Ball with no luck, nothing, none at all. I broke 37 times and only made a ball about 6-7 times. And of those 37 times only once - ONLY ONCE - did I make a ball and have a decent shot on the 1B. But I didnt have a chance to run out because of the position of the 2B and the 3B was also tied up with the 7B.

I did make the 9B twice and another time had a tough 1-9 combo. That would make 40 breaks. But the other 37 - nothing. Flat out nothing. I find this almost impossible to believe. I broke hard, soft, from both sides, just off the sides, near where the break box would be, and a couple of cut breaks. Nothing. Flat out nothing.

r/DCP

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your racks weren't tight or you weren't breaking from the side. With a tight rack the wing ball is dead if you shoot from the side.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your racks weren't tight or you weren't breaking from the side. With a tight rack the wing ball is dead if you shoot from the side.

Half the time I was using a racking template. The balls spread out, but no luck.

And no, the wing ball doesnt always go when breaking from the side.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... And no, the wing ball doesnt always go when breaking from the side....
If the balls are tight it's easy to get the percentage up over 90. That's been known for about 20 years. If you are interested in nine ball racking technique, you should work on it some more.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went back down to the table awhile ago and got up to 41 breaks and no luck. Then, finally, a couple of balls down and a shot on the 1B with a decent spread.
Hallelujah! But, of course, I hosed it up.

Then after a couple of more unsuccessful breaks I finally got two balls down, a shot on the 1B again, and a decent spread. I managed to get this rack out.

That new cloth sure does make the table play different. Forces you to play different shots.

r/DCP

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Half the time I was using a racking template. The balls spread out, but no luck.

And no, the wing ball doesnt always go when breaking from the side.

r/DCP

When using a template, like the magic rack, the wing ball is in fact dead almost every time. Not sure what you're doing to make it not go, especially on new cloth, which should make the pockets play a bit more loose.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using a template, like the magic rack, the wing ball is in fact dead almost every time. Not sure what you're doing to make it not go, especially on new cloth, which should make the pockets play a bit more loose.

I just ordered a Magic Rack. Should arrive mid-late next week.

I also have the Accu-Rack. And my regular cherry/wood rack.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the balls are tight it's easy to get the percentage up over 90. That's been known for about 20 years. If you are interested in nine ball racking technique, you should work on it some more.
But don't just take my word for it....
Below is the video. It looks like my recollection of squatting the CB was a bit poor, but I did hit the one fairly full and "minimal CB movement" many racks. Pocketing a ball on every break I did remember correctly. Several made 2 balls. 14 balls pocketed in 9 breaks. One of the racks I also did not edit out the racking process. You really have to make sure they are all frozen, even with a template rack.

Breaks only (full speed, 3 min long): https://youtu.be/03_5dTgucew
Full set (sped up to 6 total min long): https://youtu.be/fQ7bPl2HTXU

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wing ball rarely goes. Once in a great while it might find the corner pocket. On that video the wing ball was like 8 for 8, or something like that.

I break both sides. Just off the sides. In the break box area. Hit them hard. Hit them soft. Hit them medium. Use the cut break.

I am going down to my table now.......

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just broke 14 times. 7 from each side of the table. I used the Accu-Rack template from Outsville. I moved the top of the template from the top of the spot and then perhaps down about 1/4 inch.

Anyway, I made the wing ball 4 times out of 14. Thats all. Sometimes it would hit short and sometimes it would hit long.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really getting frustrating. I just spent another hour at my GCIV with the new Powder Blue Simonis 860. Rarely did a wing ball go down. And not too many times did any ball go down. And after about 30-40 breaks I only had one - ONE - decent chance to run out.

I dont ever get a chance to play on the GCIV with the new cloth because all I do is break and rack, break and rack, break and rack, etc, etc.

Something has to be wrong here........

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It cant be that bad though. Even if I was the worst breaker on the planet I should be able to get balls down more and then end up with a decent spread more than once every 35 breaks.

I am trying to find someone not too far away thats considered a good breaker and have them come to my place.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got back upstairs from the table. Another miserable round of breaking. I must have broke 30 times this time and probably made a ball about 1/3 of the time. Wing ball went in maybe 4-5 times.

Only had a couple decent chances to run out. I got out the first time but the other time - or two - hosed it up.

r/DCP

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
At some point a rational human being who has taken instruction from numerous sources, gotten advice which 75% of the time is bad, tried everything they can purchase to be better, and doesn't get better, says it's ME and not EVERYONE else.

Funny how you discount all but 25% of the advice and literally anyone but you could get on your table and make balls + run out, but YOU can't.

It's YOU, it's YOU.

Stop, listen to advice, do what people tell you, instead of acting like you know better than anyone else. You play horrible, but do so on great equipment.

Just got back upstairs from the table. Another miserable round of breaking. I must have broke 30 times this time and probably made a ball about 1/3 of the time. Wing ball went in maybe 4-5 times.

Only had a couple decent chances to run out. I got out the first time but the other time - or two - hosed it up.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Things seem to be changing for the better. Seem to be getting a ball or two down and a decent chance to run out every now and then. Perhaps the slickness of the cloth isnt quite what it was a few days ago.

But then again, I hosed up 2-3 racks of 9-Ball tonight because of the balls sliding on the new cloth. Oh well......

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Magic Rack arrived today. So far it seems to be working like some on here have indicated it might. The wing ball has found the pocket about 8 of the first 10 breaks. And if it wasnt for my plumbing/PVC stuff I would have ran out the first break using it.

Fingers are crossed. Balls are starting to find the pockets better now too. Assume the slickness of the cloth is starting to wear off. This plus the Magic Rack might put me in a better mood.

r/DCP