another rule question

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Was hoping to get educated here in a recent match between Foron and Blomdahl, around 15:30 the referee checks to see if the players (Foron) cue ball is froze to the rail. The referee called it not froze i think. My question is as follows - had the players cue ball been froze to rail could he still have played into the short rail (ticky style) going short, short, long - or is the first cushion considered a non-live rail? i think the referee rules the ball not frozen- but had it been frozen could Foron still have played the ticky. Maybe Mr. Jewett or another knowledgeable/solid 3 cushion player could help me clear this one up.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Same as the frozen ball, doesnt count if its froze and you shoot into it first
Must make contact

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was hoping to get educated here in a recent match between Foron and Blomdahl, around 15:30 the referee checks to see if the players (Foron) cue ball is froze to the rail. The referee called it not froze i think. My question is as follows - had the players cue ball been froze to rail could he still have played into the short rail (ticky style) going short, short, long - or is the first cushion considered a non-live rail? i think the referee rules the ball not frozen- but had it been frozen could Foron still have played the ticky. Maybe Mr. Jewett or another knowledgeable/solid 3 cushion player could help me clear this one up.
The rule from the official UMB website is below. It turns out that not only does the frozen rail not count as a contact, but you must not play into the cushion. Under the old US rules, you could play into the cushion but it did not count (IIRC).

As soon as the cue-ball comes into contact with a cushion the player does not have the right to play directly this cushion.​

(The UMB rules would enjoy a more accurate translation into English.)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rule from the official UMB website is below. It turns out that not only does the frozen rail not count as a contact, but you must not play into the cushion. Under the old US rules, you could play into the cushion but it did not count as a cushion (IIRC).

As soon as the cue-ball comes into contact with a cushion the player does not have the right to play directly this cushion.​

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
That isn't how the rule on frozen balls works. You can't shoot into a ball or a cushion the cue ball is frozen to.

ya that would be an assured double hit or mis cue most likely

never understood whats the big deal about a double hit

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
roger that Bob

The rule from the official UMB website is below. It turns out that not only does the frozen rail not count as a contact, but you must not play into the cushion. Under the old US rules, you could play into the cushion but it did not count as a cushion (IIRC).

Thank you, I was going to then ask if I could play a masse into the same rail (artistic shot) but now I think I know the rule so that solves that. If you cannot play into that rail then a masse shot that curved back into that same rail and found three cushions (on that same rail) would not count. Thanks again for clearing that one up.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you, I was going to then ask if I could play a masse into the same rail (artistic shot) but now I think I know the rule so that solves that. If you cannot play into that rail then a masse shot that curved back into that same rail and found three cushions (on that same rail) would not count. Thanks again for clearing that one up.
No, I'm pretty sure that the masse shot would be OK as long as the cue ball was shot away from the rail. For example, if you are frozen to a ball, it is OK to masse out a little and back and hit the ball without having hit anything else.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rule from the official UMB website is below. It turns out that not only does the frozen rail not count as a contact, but you must not play into the cushion. Under the old US rules, you could play into the cushion but it did not count (IIRC).

AS USUAL, Bob Jewett got it right......frozen to a rail.......must play away from it first