Danny D commentating US Open finals?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So there's a long thread singing the praises of Jeremy Jones' commentating ability. The semifinal now has Danny DiLiberto in the booth. Will he be doing the finals as well?

Suffice to say there are no threads singing the praises of Danny D's commentating.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Danny is "old school" who has never embraced "new school." I think he is still competent but his best days were with Billy in years gone by. :frown:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely JJ won’t be commentating in the final. He said on his last match, that he was getting on a plane back home Sat morning.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny is past his time. It's a snoozefest with him and Wilson, and he makes the wrong call about half the time. Now he's making fun of Albania...

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
“It doesn’t pass”.... (30 seconds later) “it passed”

“He’s going two rails” .... (30 second later) “he banked it”

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't mind listening to Danny and Mark, even though it is very low key. Mark has a good voice and is an excellent com as long as he doesn't get too long winded or too technical. Danny makes a good foil for him. They are damn sure a lot better than some of the people I hear on some of the streams. You know the ones, who are laughing, giggling and not even paying attention to the match. To busy giving shout outs to their friends online. I mute the volume when I hear that nonsense going on.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind listening to Danny and Mark, even though it is very low key. Mark has a good voice and is an excellent com as long as he doesn't get too long winded or too technical. Danny makes a good foil for him. They are damn sure a lot better than some of the people I hear on some of the streams. You know the ones, who are laughing, giggling and not even paying attention to the match. To busy giving shout outs to their friends online. I mute the volume when I hear that nonsense going on.
Danny is surely not the best but I've heard quite a few a LOT worse. Only a very few make the right call more often than Danny. There's one guy that says "wow" and "actually" so much I won't even watch a muted match if he's there!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well imho there were at least 2 other commentators on regularly lately that were way more annoying than Danny. Danny to me is just neutral background noise. Plus -they have been keeping his mic on low.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What ever happened to Billy I. doing commentary?

I’ve been out of the loop a while, so I apologize if this is common knowledge why he isn’t commentating anymore.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well imho there were at least 2 other commentators on regularly lately that were way more annoying than Danny. Danny to me is just neutral background noise. Plus -they have been keeping his mic on low.

Neutral background noise. That about sums it up,

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Neutral background noise. That about sums it up,

JimGinPhx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny D.

I think Danny is a valuable addition to any broadcast. I respect his experience , his humor and his style.

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny is old school and the pool world is definitely new school. He thinks anyone not from the United States is alien..and doesn't care to learn anything about what they've done or how to correctly pronounce their name.

It's one of the reasons I dont think pool can progress. Professional commenting and knowledge share helps progress the sport. Mosconi btoadcadting is biased but they at least have great commentators.

How can you not know guys who are up and coming players like: kaci klenti, albin ouschan, Joshua filler and the ko brothers?

Accustsats is at least trying.