Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page where to aim to make cb travel/hit as many rails as possible?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-31-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Like this?
Attachment 553978 ...
Yes, that's what I had in mind to hit all six cushion sections. I think it works easier because there is no reverse on the fourth/fifth cushions. Maybe it arrives at the fourth cushion with no side spin.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#17)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I couldn't think of any others without hitting some rails twice.
Thought of one more - but you have to pound it...

pj
chgo

Name:  all 6 rails (3).jpg
Views: 51
Size:  44.6 KB

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:

pj
chgo

Attachment 554054
And this is how you pound the shot on a carom table:

https://youtu.be/HanvUR05r4c?t=485

(Start at 8:00 if the link doesn't take you to the time stamp.)

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

07-31-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
And this is how you pound the shot on a carom table:

https://youtu.be/HanvUR05r4c?t=485

(Start at 8:00 if the link doesn't take you to the time stamp.)

pj
chgo

Old
  (#20)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:

pj
chgo

Attachment 554054
Couldn’t figure out how to load an image from my iPad so will describe a shot starting with check side into the first rail. Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. Hope the description doesn’t suck.

Last edited by Imac007; 08-03-2020 at 03:17 AM.

Old
  (#21)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

08-03-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Couldn’t figure out how to load an image from my iPad so will describe a shot starting with check side into the first rail. Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. Hope the description doesn’t suck.
Good one - or two, depending on how it hits the last two rails...

pj
chgo

Name:  all 6 rails.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  70.3 KB

Old
  (#22)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

08-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
... Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. ...
Like the image below?

This is a shot from the official program of Artistic Billiards (carom) so it is without those pesky bank-interrupters, pockets. Here is a drawing from the book "Artistic Billiards".

Name:  CropperCapture[626].png
Views: 35
Size:  69.8 KB

(The numbers around the rails are part of the position specification system for the competition. You can see little tick marks for the position of the cue ball which correspond to something like A-3.5-12. This allows the placement of the balls with half-ball resolution and an additional mechanism allows placement of the balls near each other with higher resolution. The value of 4 indicates the shot is the easiest level in the competition.)

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 08-03-2020 at 07:31 AM.

Old
  (#23)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 08:15 AM

Starting more mid end rail with check brings the second cushion in play farther from the corner. That flattens the angle from rail 3 to 4. The angle cross table then makes the 5th rail the long rail and the end rail the 6th. I suspect the artistic shot used follow lengthening the angle into the second rail. Thanks for the diagram. It gives a good reference to work from.

Old
  (#24)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2020, 02:44 PM

PJ thanks. The diagrams are appreciated. The first more accurately depicts my vision. The original line from the center diamond to the second diamond is a little longer making the final contact the end rail.

Old
  (#25)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member

08-03-2020, 06:14 PM

Name:  E0612408-8FE2-4EA9-8C88-45C2C649D41E.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  90.9 KB
Finally figured out how to upload from my photo library.

Old
  (#26)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2020, 09:08 PM

This is a little off-topic but while we're on the subject of Mike Massey, does anyone remember a shot where he drew the cue ball 6 rails? The cb and ob were frozen to the bottom rail, about a diamond apart. I'm pretty sure it was 6 rails. I saw him shoot it a few times in exhibitions, so when he came to town, I asked him to shoot the shot for me. He borrowed my cue and hit it so hard the tip flew off of my cue --- and the ball did travel all around the table. Somehow I remember it being 6 rails. I remember thinking that seeing him shoot that was worth the price of a new tip.

Old
  (#27)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

08-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
This is a little off-topic but while we're on the subject of Mike Massey, does anyone remember a shot where he drew the cue ball 6 rails? The cb and ob were frozen to the bottom rail, about a diamond apart. I'm pretty sure it was 6 rails. I saw him shoot it a few times in exhibitions, so when he came to town, I asked him to shoot the shot for me. He borrowed my cue and hit it so hard the tip flew off of my cue --- and the ball did travel all around the table. Somehow I remember it being 6 rails. I remember thinking that seeing him shoot that was worth the price of a new tip.
The shot is six cushions only if you count the end rail the cue ball is frozen to which he shoots into. After the hit on the cue ball, the shot is a standard corner-five pattern shot that might come in short or long to total six cushions. I have never seen him come close spinning out of the corner to hit long rail where he got his fourth cushion.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: