Shiftless CTE for dummies

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shiftless CTE for dummies (like me) - no shift, just pivots.

Aim the “Center” of the cue ball (CB) “to” the “edge” of the object ball (OB) = CTE.

For cut shots from 31 to 90 degree (where aiming is off of the OB) :

Place the butt of the cue against the side of your leg, hip or waist (depending on your height) parallel to the slate.

Get in your stance and down over the shot. This is the starting position for CTE – aim the center of the CB to the outermost edge of the OB that is opposite the pocket to hit the OB to.

This is the accepted position for a 30 degree cut angle.

Your bridge should be ¼ the distance behind the CB to your leg/hip.

85-90 degree cut:
Using your leg/hip as a pivot point, moving your bridge to rotate the tip of your cue until it is aiming at the opposite edge of the OB.

Use the new bridge location as a pivot point & move your stance until the tip of the cue is pointing at the center of the CB.

Shoot – center ball no English.

If you miss the OB to the outside with the CB, move your bridge back a bit and repeat.

45-50 degree cut:
Again, using your leg/hip as a pivot point, moving your bridge to rotate the tip of your cue until it is now aiming at the center of the OB.

Use the new bridge location as a pivot point & move your stance until the tip of the cue is pointing at the center of the CB.

Shoot.

37-42 degree cut:
Again, using your leg/hip as a pivot point, moving your bridge to rotate the tip of your cue until it is now aiming at ¼ inside of the edge of the OB.

Shoot.

57-62 degree cut:
Again, using your leg/hip as a pivot point, moving your bridge to rotate the tip of your cue until it is now aiming at ¼ inside of the opposite edge of the OB.

Shoot.

70-75 degree cut:
Again, using your leg/hip as a pivot point, moving your bridge to rotate the tip of your cue until it is now aiming at 1/8 inside of the opposite edge of the OB.

Shoot.

For other angles from 31-90 degrees adjust accordingly using the OB for reference points.

Discussion:

This assumes that one can approximate the angle to the pocket that the OB must travel from the eye to the CB to the OB.

This is a method similar to "doubling the distance" (from the contact/impact point on the OB to the center of the OB) but in this case, the doubling of the resulting angle to achieve the path to the ghost ball (GB).

Shiftless CTE 1.jpg

Comments, questions or flames.:)

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I am a CTE user as you probably know,I use one method for every shot regardless of angle,I line up the same way and offset and pivot on every single shot,It is not complicated.I dont shoot or line up any different on a 30deg shot or 40,60 or 80 its all the same.One shot
Peteypooldude

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
LAMas, I'm being very serious when I ask this: Are you serious about this?

If you are, I'm going to have to copy it and put it with all the other information I've collected on CTE. So far, I've got a file that's over an inch thick, and when I think I've collected all there is to collect, and when I get the time, I'm going to begin a methodical study of it all. It will take me hours and hours to come to my own conclusion, I know, but at least my own curiosity will finally be satisfied. :thumbup:

Roger

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LAMas, I'm being very serious when I ask this: Are you serious about this?

If you are, I'm going to have to copy it and put it with all the other information I've collected on CTE. So far, I've got a file that's over an inch thick, and when I think I've collected all there is to collect, and when I get the time, I'm going to begin a methodical study of it all. It will take me hours and hours to come to my own conclusion, I know, but at least my own curiosity will finally be satisfied. :thumbup:

Roger

I am serious and have put it through it's paces on the pool table. I also posted Aparallel CTE here as well - they both work.

I am not an instructor and give this freely here on AZ. I am an Engineer and am fascinated by pool and have learned a lot here on AZ. As an engineer, I solve problems methodically and am peer reviewed as I have been here by the few that are interested enough to comment.

This is not a panacea for it like other CTE solutions for aiming are fraught wit incremental steps that invite cumulative error.

A few that have tried my Aparallel CTE method agree, that it, like this pivot method is self compensating for distance between the CB and OB - as the OB appears to be smaller down table - the angle/s become narrower and narrower (as they must) the farther the OB is from the CB.

Thanks for your interest.:)

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The problem LAMas, is while your there trying figure out just what to do, your opponent is methodically cleaning your clock by simply putting it in the hole. :)

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
After all this mumbo jumbo i sure hope you play lights out becuase if you're not smoking the 9ball ghost you are wasting your time.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem LAMas, is while your there trying figure out just what to do, your opponent is methodically cleaning your clock by simply putting it in the hole. :)

Hi,
The problem is that there is a desire to learn and teach CTE to those that have no intuitive concept of the fundamentals required to shoot well.

When I started shooting back in the late 50s, there were no teachers or systems. We shot without knowing what we were doing, relying on memorized images and perhaps some feel.

I observed where to contact the OB with the CB to send it to the pocket and not to aim there. I noticed by practice that if I doubled the distance from that contact point to the center of the OB, that I could pocket the ball if all of the other fundamentals were true.

I don't use CTE but tried to get a cogent senareo that could be derived from the vague explanations offered up here on AZ...or develop one that worked - for me.

This is what I still use:

img087-1.jpg

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Good Lord, I got a headache from just looking at that diagram.
If a player needs, or feels that they need, re-enforcement provided by a method then that's fine with me. What I have railed against though, lo these last many days, is the notion that a system is the be-all, end-all way of learning to make a shot on a pool table.
It isn't. As a matter-of-fact, in my humble opinion, method teaching does more harm than good in the long run. I cite my analogy of arch supports as an example.
Question. What is the one thing that all Pros, shortstops, and very good pool players have in common? The answer, of course, is excellent to exceptional hand-eye-coordination. It is this trait, combined with incredible amounts of practice and play that makes a pool player what he, or she is.
I will, however, admit that someone who is new to pool, and who can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, could benefit from a method, but few others. :)

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a CTE user as you probably know,I use one method for every shot regardless of angle,I line up the same way and offset and pivot on every single shot,It is not complicated.I dont shoot or line up any different on a 30deg shot or 40,60 or 80 its all the same.One shot
Peteypooldude

You are also an instructor.

The 30 degree shot doesn't necessarily require that one use CTE. CTE by definition is a 30 degree shot. What if anything is done to accomplish the 40, 60 or 80 degree cut that changes away from the original 30 degree CTE aim/setup/stance?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After all this mumbo jumbo i sure hope you play lights out becuase if you're not smoking the 9ball ghost you are wasting your time.

We here admire your being able to smoke the pay ball without knowing how?

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Just because someone doesnt get CTE to work by getting bits and pieces does not make them dummies lol,I worked with Mike from Palmetto Cues last night.He had also been trying to work it out on his own.After about 30 minutes he was making almost everything he shot at.When someone that knows the right way and walks you through,its not hard at all.Ask Mike

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
You are also an instructor.

The 30 degree shot doesn't necessarily require that one use CTE. CTE by definition is a 30 degree shot. What if anything is done to accomplish the 40, 60 or 80 degree cut that changes away from the original 30 degree CTE aim/setup/stance?

The answer is nothing,I change nothing at all no matter the angle.ONE shot period makes them all.No adjustments