Paper micarta vs linen micarta

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I don't get this nostalgic ferrule stuff. I owned cues back in the day that had the oh-so-coveted REAL micarta. It was a ferrule for cryin' out loud. Its what came on some cues i had. Never once then or since was i overly impressed with the stuff. I think the new Tomahawk material plays/sounds/feels every bit as good AND it doesn't turn that nasty piss yellow color. Just my $.02 here, nothing more. I do enjoy reading the history stuff here. Always good.

What you post is very true; there are several options available nowadays that produce a very similar "feel". And, they're way less expensive.

I, on the other hand, do get the nostalgic bug. That's why I've collected materials like Micarta, Cortland linen, Marblette bakelite used in Palmer ferrules, and some of the vintage acrylic rings like George used.

That's what I love about custom cues. You do you, I'll do me; and we can both enjoy for sometimes different, and some times the same reasons.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you post is very true; there are several options available nowadays that produce a very similar "feel". And, they're way less expensive.

I, on the other hand, do get the nostalgic bug. That's why I've collected materials like Micarta, Cortland linen, Marblette bakelite used in Palmer ferrules, and some of the vintage acrylic rings like George used.

That's what I love about custom cues. You do you, I'll do me; and we can both enjoy for sometimes different, and some times the same reasons.
Well said, especially that last paragraph.
I hope you don't mind a question I'm having a cue made and was going the Tomahawk route. But I am curious, if you exhausted your supply, what material would be your first choice to match the "feel" you like in the the vintage materials?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Well said, especially that last paragraph.
I hope you don't mind a question I'm having a cue made and was going the Tomahawk route. But I am curious, if you exhausted your supply, what material would be your first choice to match the "feel" you like in the the vintage materials?

So, I'll preface this with I'm not a good person to ask. The reason being, is I haven't exhausted my stock. In fact, I've added more.
In my searching, I've commissioned a few blocks from some of the newer custom micarta guys. I've handed several sticks out to different builders, including, Bill Lister, Todd Carpenter, Dennis Searing, Aaron Astle, and others. Those that have reported back say they cannot tell the difference.

So, to answer your question, if I were out, I'd have some made by Greg Hansen on IG. He goes by g.l._hansenandsons. Aside from that, stick with Tomahawk. I tried some of that a long time ago. It's very nice. My hang up - it's not micarta.

wildbill9ball

Honeywell Machinist
Silver Member
Tad

Was told by tad , when i called and gave number of cue under bumper, points and farrels are micrata.

Attachments

• 20200514_003354.jpg
    20200514_003354.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200514_003400.jpg
    20200514_003400.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200514_003339.jpg
    20200514_003339.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 156

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the bad pic, I’m not near the cue, but what type of micarta is this? I’ve seen this micarta on other Schon shafts in the past, though only on a few cues. I’ve also had “regular” micarta ferrules Schon shafts.

BiV2hoc.jpg

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Sorry for the bad pic, I’m not near the cue, but what type of micarta is this? I’ve seen this micarta on other Schon shafts in the past, though only on a few cues. I’ve also had “regular” micarta ferrules Schon shafts.

They used GE and Westinghouse. The white stuff is GE.