Who wouldn't call a foul on themselves?

Have you ever fouled and not admitted it to your opponent?

• Yes - If they aren't paying attention it's their fault

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • No - I have integrity

Votes: 133 71.1%
  • Maybe - I might've

Votes: 28 15.0%

• Total voters

sammspocket

Samm D. Vidal
Gold Member
Silver Member
This weekend I had an opponent admit the following to me after our match, "You missed a foul that cost you the match." It was as though he was bragging about it.

"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Yeah, I fouled and you didn't even call it,"
he says.

"Obviously I didn't see it and assumed you were honest. And you're proud of this?" I asked.

"I stood up and walked around the table. I gave you a chance to say something," he boasted.

Wow... Seriously? Am I supposed to assume that getting up and walking around the table means that it's ball in hand for me? He was facing me and must've double-hit the cue ball. If it hardly moves, how can I see that?

I can honestly say that I have never knowingly fouled and not called it on myself. My conscience would never let me get away with it.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
This weekend I had an opponent admit the following to me after our match, "You missed a foul that cost you the match." It was as though he was bragging about it.

"Excuse me?" I responded.

"Yeah, I fouled and you didn't even call it,"
he says.

"Obviously I didn't see it and assumed you were honest. And you're proud of this?" I asked.

"I stood up and walked around the table. I gave you a chance to say something," he boasted.

Wow... Seriously? Am I supposed to assume that getting up and walking around the table means that it's ball in hand for me? He was facing me and must've double-hit the cue ball. If it hardly moves, how can I see that?

I can honestly say that I have never knowingly fouled and not called it on myself. My conscience would never let me get away with it.

Agreed....

Some people think cheating is a badge of honor.....I don't get it.....guess I'm just a sucker :p

GoTulane

Shizzle-rific
If I can't beat you by the rules...

Then it isn't worth winning.

I call everything on myself when I play, because that is how I am. No matter what the stakes, or importance of the game, you gotta play with integrity.

Wish more people in the world did this more often in pool, and especially in life.

Michael

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always call my own fouls!
Im scared if i dont the guy will see and just not say anything and put me outside and rape me or something LOL...

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I have called fouls on myself several times. However, if there is a ref present watching the match, I'm not saying anything. That is then his job, not mine. That is exactly why he is there.

I've seen people tell the ref he was wrong about his "good hit" call and tell him it was actually a foul!

Fobstarr

Registered
I personally hand the cue ball over to my opponent if they don't notice my foul. But there are times when I'm not sure if i double hit the cue or not. It might feel like a double hit but it also feels like a miscue (for shots where the object ball is fairly close to the cue ball.) In those situations, what do you do?

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally hand the cue ball over to my opponent if they don't notice my foul. But there are times when I'm not sure if i double hit the cue or not. It might feel like a double hit but it also feels like a miscue (for shots where the object ball is fairly close to the cue ball.) In those situations, what do you do?

If its like SUPER SUPER unsure id ask my opponent if he thought it was good.
Otherwise if i was a little onesided i would just wait for him to call it himself

Exsanguinating

The Bloodletter
Silver Member
First of all, what an A$$ and I'm sorry that happened to such a good person <3

I will always call a foul on myself... and I expect my opponents to do the same, although, I am not naive and I know this doesn't always happen. I want to win because I worked hard for it, put in the effort and left my heart on the table... not because my opponent *didn't see a foul that I made*. That to me is tacky and shows me a lack of their own self respect and self confidence that they couldn't have beaten me fair and square.

ex: During a tourney... there was a discrepancy that one of my team mates didn't call a foul, that her opponent was SURE she made. Everyone watching the match saw no foul made. So the opponent was now bitter. When it came time for me to play that opponent, with everyone watching, she "blatantly" fouled... and didn't call it. What the Cuss??!!?!
Knowing the ref wouldn't do anything, cause he wasn't there, she refused to even talk to him stating in a *know it all tone*, "Oh, I know what happens." Referring to the fact that I was going to have to suck it up and shoot anyway. As furious as I was, I just sarcastically commented (loud enough for everyone to hear) "If that's how you got to play to win, then that's how you gotta play to win!" and continued the match... I ended up losing... Later we had to play that team again. She broke and made nothing... I proceeded to run out to the eight ball, which she then got up and scooped the eight ball out of line with her cue and offered her hand for a handshake...
(Guilty conscious gets the best of the cheaters too...)

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I call fouls on myself and my opponents when they commit an infraction of the rules.

I think it is great that players call fouls on themselves. Super.. great amount of sportsmanship and a true indication of a great competitor.

If you really want to learn the rules, take a Referee class with qualified teachers and get qualified to make the correct calls.

Just because you read or briefly skimmed over a league handout or remembered what someone said the rules were 10-15 years ago, doesn't mean you are making the correct call.

You kinda lose your integrity if you make a bonehead call against yourself and you were WRONG.

afss

Registered
Wow.. I am suprised myself. Pool to me is as much a personal win as it is a victory over my opponent. If i knowingly screwed up i can't and wouldn't continue to play that turn.

The guys i play with, we don't even call shots anymore, we all know what each other is going to try and if we don't make it the way we intended we default that turn. Continueing to playing after a foul is no diferent than lying or not sticking to your word. To me there is no higher value than the value of my word. Everyone has to be able to live with their personal code.

If your code includes cheating to win and or you need to cheat to win........ why bother playing????

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'd rather lose than be caught doing that. That stays with you for life when people see that you cheat. Have I ever fouled and not said something? Sure--- but I didn't know I fouled. I've honestly never fouled (and known it) without giving up the table.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I don't know which is worse, the situation described in the first post, or when you see your opponent make an obvious bad hit, and when you ask them about it, they look you straight in the eye and claim it was a good hit. We both know they are lying.

I see absolutely no satisfaction in winning, if you had to cheat to do it!

Steve

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
I ALWAYS call my fouls, whether my opponent is watching or not is irrelevant.

I don't need the karma that goes with cheating!

-von

Android

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always

I always call fouls on myself.
1st - Because it is the right thing to do, period.
2nd - If you let your opponent call your fouls and they make a mistake how can you argue?? You conceded that right by having them call your fouls.

Just my 2 cents.

Andy

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Determining who calls the fouls is something I do before the match. Some like to play call you own and others like to have the opponent call the foul.

In the case of playing One Pocket, I want to call the fouls on my opponent and I don't want him to call them on himself. It can be a game winning advantage for him to call then on himself.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen people tell the ref he was wrong about his "good hit" call and tell him it was actually a foul!

Not too long I called the ref over to look at a hit that my opponent was shooting. It was a kick and I knew he was going to kick soft as to not to disturb the balls. It was one of those shots where the object ball is very close to the rail and the hit could be rail first or ball first.

The ref came over and called a bad hit but I knew he called it wrong with no doubt in my mind. When the ref left I told my opponent that I was not going to take ball in hand (which would have won the game for me). I waited for the ref to leave because I didn't want to embarrass him for missing that call. I believe he actually thought that he did see a foul but I knew it wasn't a foul. Karma is what it's all about.