Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 100 ball run in Straight Pool on a Bar Table
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-12-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by wrldpro View Post
No doubt a 7ft table would be the hardest size to run balls on for sure. ...

Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I just saw this thread. I cannot believe this is a real debate. Bar table is WAY easier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Opinions vary. I'd just note that one's mostly a rotation player and the other is a very experienced 14.1 player.

As a side note, because I know xraderx is a huge JS fan, John's opinion is that 8' is easiest.

Old
  (#32)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

09-12-2020, 02:44 PM

I said this many times before, but I'd empty out that any level of player would run more balls on a 7' than a 9', assuming both are set up the same. We have that now with Diamond brand.

Get a C, B, A, Open, or Pro to play 100 innings on a 7', and 100 innings on a 9'. Whether you measure by total balls run in all 100 innings, or top 5 highest runs, or highest single run, or whatever metric you come up with, it won't be close.

I'll bet high on this one.

Old
  (#33)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Opinions vary. I'd just note that one's mostly a rotation player and the other is a very experienced 14.1 player.

As a side note, because I know xraderx is a huge JS fan, John's opinion is that 8' is easiest.[/QUOTE]

As a side note. Sorry for your delayed response.
I was beginning to consider that some cat had gotten, not only your tongue, but your keyboard, as well. You still make erratic decisions regarding others and their intent.
You may accuse me of being a fan of 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous.
There is not now a game called 14.1 hi-run.
There has never been a game called 14.1 hi-run.
It's a gimmick, same as js626.
There are no rules, regulations or stipulations for that statistic.
Same as arguing about table size complications.
No Mystery, just no viable answer.
Put two players on any table, rack'em up and start a real game.
Then come back and relate the complications.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-12-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Old
  (#34)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
As a side note. Sorry for your delayed response.
I was beginning to consider that some cat had gotten, not only your tongue, but your keyboard, as well. You still make erratic decisions regarding others and their intent.
You may accuse me of being a fan of 14.1 Straight Pool Continuous.
There is not now a game called 14.1 hi-run.
There has never been a game called 14.1 hi-run.
It's a gimmick, same as js626.
There are no rules, regulations or stipulations for that statistic.
Same as arguing about table size complications.
No Mystery, just no viable answer.
Put two players on any table, rack'em up and start a real game.
Then come back and relate the complications.
Delayed response to what? I was going to respond to post #29 but you edited out the majority of what you originally posted.
Why? Did you maybe realize that you'd contradicted yourself.
Right or wrong, like it or not; nobody asks someone who they've beat playing 14.1
as a way to determine their proficiency at the game.
They ask what their hi run is. It's that way now and it was that way 50 yrs, ago.
I don't know as people are "arguing" about table sizes here, they're giving their "opinions". If that doesn't have any value or interest you then why are you on this thread, other than as another opportunity to bash JS.
As a matter of fact (just guessing here) probably 95% + of your posts are devoted (directly or indirectly) to bashing John.
What's up with that? Do you even know the man? Did he kick your cat? Is Harriman your best friend or something?
Again, whether you like it or not, JS is the most proficient ball runner of this era.
Is he the best match player? Not in my opinion, but there's only a small handful of players equal or better.

Last edited by sparkle84; 09-12-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Old
  (#35)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2020, 06:36 PM

As a side note, because I know xraderx is a huge JS fan.

Sorry sparky, but youíve let your cat out of the bag. It would appear that YOU, in fact may be Schmidtís most huge fan. Keep throwing accolades and misguided credits his way. He really needs them since he doesnít care to represent himself. He and hairy man seem to be from the same narcissistic mold.

Old
  (#36)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

09-12-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post

Delayed response to what? I was going to respond to post #29 but you edited out the majority of what you originally posted.
Why? Did you maybe realize that you'd contradicted yourself.
Right or wrong, like it or not; nobody asks someone who they've beat playing 14.1
as a way to determine their proficiency at the game.
They ask what their hi run is. It's that way now and it was that way 50 yrs, ago.
I don't know as people are "arguing" about table sizes here, they're giving their "opinions". If that doesn't have any value or interest you then why are you on this thread, other than as another opportunity to bash JS.
As a matter of fact (just guessing here) probably 95% + of your posts are devoted (directly or indirectly) to bashing John.
What's up with that? Do you even know the man? Did he kick your cat? Is Harriman your best friend or something?
Again, whether you like it or not, JS is the most proficient ball runner of this era.
Is he the best match player? Not in my opinion, but there's only a small handful of players equal or better.
Best post of the year candidate!

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM

Old
  (#37)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-12-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
.Right or wrong, like it or not; nobody asks someone who they've beat playing 14.1 as a way to determine their proficiency at the game. They ask what their hi run is. It's that way now and it was that way 50 yrs, ago.
This is not accurate. I was around the game 50 years ago and have attended over a dozen world 14.1 championships. I always bought the program, and the player blurbs nearly never mentioned high runs, but instead the players credentials in competition, correctly reflecting that attendees rarely ared what a player's high run was in practice.

Fifty years ago, and this was during the straight pool era, players high runs were barely known, except for Mosconi, Cranfield, Crane and Eufemia. It's also a myth that many of the top players fifty years ago placed much emphasis on producing a high run in practice, though they did care about the high run prize in competition. Agreed, however, that it's that way today for countless people, but it's to the game's detriment that straight pool is no longer about winning in the eyes of so many.

Straight pool is dying, and may die completely unless the emphasis returns to winning titles.

Old
  (#38)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
Best post of the year candidate!
Well thanks my man. I didn't think the post was anything special. Just rather tired of this guy denigrating John over and over again. You don't believe the 626 is legit, fine, voice your opinion and move on.
Just for the record, I've played John in tournaments. Consider him more an acquaintance than a friend. Have seen and heard his interactions with both fans and other pro players numerous times and they've always been cordial.
He has history with Harriman so the animosity there is somewhat understandable but this Radar guy popped up out of nowhere and started beating him like a drum.
I haven't read every post on all these threads so maybe he stated a reason at some point but I don't know, seems like overkill to me.

Old
  (#39)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
This is not accurate. I was around the game 50 years ago and have attended over a dozen world 14.1 championships. I always bought the program, and the player blurbs nearly never mentioned high runs, but instead the players credentials in competition, correctly reflecting that attendees rarely ared what a player's high run was in practice.

Fifty years ago, and this was during the straight pool era, players high runs were barely known, except for Mosconi, Cranfield, Crane and Eufemia. It's also a myth that many of the top players fifty years ago placed much emphasis on producing a high run in practice, though they did care about the high run prize in competition. Agreed, however, that it's that way today for countless people, but it's to the game's detriment that straight pool is no longer about winning in the eyes of so many.

Straight pool is dying, and may die completely unless the emphasis returns to winning titles.
You may be correct that back then the emphasis was more on winning but in the poolrooms I frequented the best players hi run was known, talked about, and primarily used to determine giving or getting weight when gambling.
If there was someone you didn't know looking for action it was common practice to ask around to try and find out how many balls the guy could run.
**Fargo didn't exist. Even the A,B,C,D method for gauging players strength didn't exist yet. Nor the internet.
So other than watching someone the only way to get a (somewhat) accurate idea of their skill was by hi run.
I'd also note that one of the main attractions and topics of conversation when attending many Mosconi exhibitions
was the opportunity to see a 100+ ball run.
Granted, it was nothing special to Willie but to the average player it was noteworthy and something to aspire to.

**Regarding Fargorate, while straight pool results is not one of its parameters it is a fairly accurate method for determining speed. As such, it could be used for matching up providing both players 14.1 experience (or inexperience)
was similar. However, a very experienced 14.1 guy could easily play and beat someone 100 pts. higher if they'd never played the game.
The saying "You don't know what you don't know" is much more applicable to 14.1 than rotation games.

I think I'm safe when saying that you Stu, like I, lament the decline of the game we grew up with.
Though I've thought a lot about it, possible ways of reversing the trend escape me.

Sparky, come back, Sparky, come bac...
Old
  (#40)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member

Sparky, come back, Sparky, come bac... - 09-13-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Well thanks my man. I didn't think the post was anything special. Just rather tired of this guy denigrating John over and over again. You don't believe the 626 is legit, fine, voice your opinion and move on.
Just for the record, I've played John in tournaments. Consider him more an acquaintance than a friend. Have seen and heard his interactions with both fans and other pro players numerous times and they've always been cordial.
He has history with Harriman so the animosity there is somewhat understandable but this Radar guy popped up out of nowhere and started beating him like a drum.
I haven't read every post on all these threads so maybe he stated a reason at some point but I don't know, seems like overkill to me.
Just for the record, hah! not in this lifetime.
Schmidt/Harriman, not an iota of a difference. They deserve each other.

I didn't care for another knocker of the game either. You're still confused about the issue without all of the details. I, along with many others, have not denigrated John Schmidt, only the js626 and how it came into existence.

I have notified others that Radar is someone else's log-in on Azb, which has nothing to do with my Azb log-in.

I have an Azb log-in. Address me as xradarx, or leave me out of your texts and we will have no reason for contact from me.

I never popped up out of nowhere.
I have never beat John Schmidt's drum.
I didn't even know he had a drum.
Go read the rest of the story if you want to know more detail.
I don't care to continue repeating myself to a bunch of old wannabe straight pool, pool players.

BUT, I have sent many of you roadies home with broken cues and lighter wallets.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-13-2020 at 03:28 PM.

Old
  (#41)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

09-13-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
Thorsten the hitman

100 ball run in Straight Pool on a Bar Table! Took me two solid days to get this done. Do you think it’s easier or harder to run balls on a bar box compared to a 9 footer?

https://www.facebook.com/hitmanhohma...95484918565765
Much easier on a seven footer than a nine footer. Last night, for the heck of it instead of practicing on a 9 or 10 footer as I often do, I chose to give a try on our diamond bar box. I racked them up with an ideal break shot and had a run of 45 in my first inning. I haven’t run 45 on our tight pocket bigger tables in a number of years despite hundreds of sessions, so the answer to this question is a no brainer for me.

I have no desire to accomplish it on a 7 footer, as a 100 ball run on a seven footer would mean little to me, as a player who has had a lifetime goal of running 100 on a big table, although it’s looking like that will never happen.

Old
  (#42)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member

09-13-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
Just for the record, hah! not in this lifetime.
Schmidt/Harriman, not an iota of a difference. They deserve each other.

I have an Azb log-in. Address me as xradarx, or leave me out of your texts and we will have no reason for contact from me.

Go read the rest of the story if you want to know more detail.
You want to call me Sparky but have a problem if I call you radar?
DH is the only other person to call me Sparky on here. You sure he's
not your next door neighbor?

I'd love to read the rest of the story but nothing came up when I searched
xradarx/rest of story.

Sorry if I misinterpret things but you make it difficult with all the additions
and subtractions on your posts, speaking in riddles, etc. Suspiciously
like Harriman, dare I say. Although I have to admit your spelling and
grammar is a bit better.

Well, nice talking to you Radar

Too late, sparky! Iíve already been incensed!
Old
  (#43)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member

Too late, sparky! Iíve already been incensed! - 09-13-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
You want to call me Sparky but have a problem if I call you radar? Already have called u sparky
DH is the only other person to call me Sparky on here. You sure he's
not your next door neighbor? Nope, but he might be ur’s. You know birds of a feather.

I'd love to read the rest of the story but nothing came up when I searched
xradarx/rest of story. Not worth the time. You and the other js626 promoters have nothing but hearsay to bet.

Sorry if I misinterpret things but you make it difficult with all the additions
and subtractions on your posts, speaking in riddles, etc. Suspiciously
like Harriman, dare I say. Although I have to admit your spelling and
grammar is a bit better.

Well, nice talking to you Radar
Sorry for y’all’s Talking to yourself’s, shortcomings, but had we met met earlier, y’all would have undoubtedly had to have found a new hobby to try to scrounge out a living instead of 14.1 straight pool continuous. Piece on y’all radar

Last edited by xradarx; 09-13-2020 at 07:07 PM.

By the way sparky
Old
  (#44)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member

By the way sparky - 09-13-2020, 07:27 PM

R u sure that u and Biden arenít from the same area of VT? Nice keyboarding wit ya, radar

Old
  (#45)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-13-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You may be correct that back then the emphasis was more on winning but in the poolrooms I frequented the best players hi run was known, talked about, and primarily used to determine giving or getting weight when gambling.... I think I'm safe when saying that you Stu, like I, lament the decline of the game we grew up with. Though I've thought a lot about it, possible ways of reversing the trend escape me.
Yup, looks like we're on the same page after all, and you're right that with almost no data available back in the day to size up players within a single poolroom scene, high run was often of great interest as a possible parameter to measure playing speed.

For the pros who competed at the top level, though, competitive record mattered far more. Mike Zuglan, surely one of the five best straight poolers of the 1990s, never ran 200, but everyone knew it was simply because high runs meant nothing to him. Everyone knew he was a stone cold killer in competition.

Like you, I don't see a clear path to reversing the trend, but in Europe, where there is a formal European Straight Pool Championship with a large field as part of the European Pool Championships, they've got the right idea. I also like what Peter Burrows is gradually building at the American 14.1 Event. We could do with a few more events like these.

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: