Top 10 cue makers in 2020

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking for some of the current cue makers still taking orders today. I have a Chad Carter on order for July and would like to hear of some of the other affordable builders in the game today. Please post your lists and links would be helpful. I also own a 1996 Jim Buss that i use daily.

Kelly Peterson of MVPcues, is really doing fantastic work, and he is a damn fine human being as well. I would NOT hesitate to trust him with a cue project. Bob Dzuricky is still alive and kicking as well, so I will throw DZ in there, because I believe he is one of the top 10 Cue-makers of all time. I also like what I see from Astle, Vigus, Shelby Williams, Treadway, and Blackcreek. There are quite a few up and comers. So if I missed you, you have my apologies. :)

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
$2500 can get you a basic 4 pointer from the Tascarella shop, at least as of 3 years ago. No promises on current rates.

The Tascarellas also are great businessmen, your money is safe with them. They respond to inquires and they deliver within their quoted timeframe. They delivered my cue early, in fact, and I really didn't wait too long for it.

Just know what you want ahead of time if you want to place an order, is my advice.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
EDC (Jules Patterson)

How strong of a builder is he you ask - he works out of Randy Mobleys shop, and Showman and Searing are part of that Florida Family also. 3 of the top 5 builders in the world are in his circle.

I quit playing with a cue I've been using for ~15 years and switched to a EDC/RM collaboration cue.

If you're in my area of NY(I'm north of Syracuse) you can hit with mine(have 2 now and 2 more showing up soon) anytime. I'll have 4 different style shafts to try(half ivory ferrule, full ivory ferrule, brown Westinghouse micarta, and ferrule less)

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory Barnhart is my choice. Fair prices and quick turnaround time. You should go to the Super Billiards Expo. You’ll get to meet a few cuemakers and even get to hit with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
EDC (Jules Patterson)

How strong of a builder is he you ask - he works out of Randy Mobleys shop, and Showman and Searing are part of that Florida Family also. 3 of the top 5 builders in the world are in his circle.

I quit playing with a cue I've been using for ~15 years and switched to a EDC/RM collaboration cue.

If you're in my area of NY(I'm north of Syracuse) you can hit with mine(have 2 now and 2 more showing up soon) anytime. I'll have 4 different style shafts to try(half ivory ferrule, full ivory ferrule, brown Westinghouse micarta, and ferrule less)

Although Randy rents his shop to Jules the cues coming out of there are NOT collaboration cues nor is Randy providing materials or oversight on the cues. Having said that Jules does make a good cue and they play well.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Although Randy rents his shop to Jules the cues coming out of there are NOT collaboration cues nor is Randy providing materials or oversight on the cues. Having said that Jules does make a good cue and they play well.

Then why did I buy a cue in Dec at the shop with Jules and Randy both there and with both their logos on it?

You dont know what you dont know.

Also, my cue and another is posted in the gallery, I believe Rodney Morris plays with one also. All of those cues have both logos on them.

All the cues that only have EDC on them are Jules by himself.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=442329

Here is another

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=501974

Here is mine

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6544400

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$2500 can get you a basic 4 pointer from the Tascarella shop, at least as of 3 years ago. No promises on current rates.

The Tascarellas also are great businessmen, your money is safe with them. They respond to inquires and they deliver within their quoted timeframe. They delivered my cue early, in fact, and I really didn't wait too long for it.

Just know what you want ahead of time if you want to place an order, is my advice.

This would be my recommendation as well. By ANY measure Pete Tascarella is a Top 5 cuemaker in the world and maybe the only one that would fit your budget and also not take a decade.

They can do a killer 3/8x10 pin cue as well if you do not like SS joints. The workmanship and taper will still be the same. And last year when I ordered mine the basic cue was around $2600 I believe. If you are OK with a merry widow he will build one for slightly less than a four pointer. If you start adding inlays and fancy rings things can get pricey pretty quickly. If you prefer leather he is the best at leather wraps in the world.

JMiller1975

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people have already mention Bob Dzuricky of DZ Cues, for good reason. Excellent cue maker with amazing attention to detail. And his prices are very reasonable.

If you want a good player at a good price, and without a multi-year wait, check out Omen Cues by Pete Ohman out of Florida.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Then why did I buy a cue in Dec at the shop with Jules and Randy both there and with both their logos on it?

You dont know what you dont know.

Also, my cue and another is posted in the gallery, I believe Rodney Morris plays with one also. All of those cues have both logos on them.

All the cues that only have EDC on them are Jules by himself.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=442329

Here is another

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=501974

Here is mine

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6544400

I know what I know from the lips of Randy...believe what you want. My post was not meant to disparage anyone. Again, Jules makes a great cue.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I know what I know from the lips of Randy...believe what you want. My post was not meant to disparage anyone. Again, Jules makes a great cue.

So you're saying those 3 cues I linked with both logo's are not collaboration cues?

By the way, I was in the shop with Randy and Jules when I purchased the cue.

Nowhere did I say all EDC cues were collab cues with Randy.

Can you not see the links to the cues??? Hard to argue with actual physical evidence, but you go on and keep trying.

You do realize other people can see the posts of the cues dont you?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
1. Mezz
2. Mezz
3. Mezz
4. Mezz
5. Mezz
6. Mezz
7. Mezz
8. Mezz
9. Predator
10. Exceed

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
So you're saying those 3 cues I linked with both logo's are not collaboration cues?

Can you not see the links to the cues??? Hard to argue with actual physical evidence, but you go on and keep trying.

I had an EDC. Awesome cue. The collaboration cues have both logos inlaid into them. There will be the EDC logo as well as an “RM” logo. They’re usually between the points.

tobermory2

Registered
Mike Johnson in Baton Rouge is still making his Jensen cues, some of the best hitting cues you'll ever find. Beautifully crafted and solid.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I had an EDC. Awesome cue. The collaboration cues have both logos inlaid into them. There will be the EDC logo as well as an “RM” logo. They’re usually between the points.

I know, I own one.

The other guy is saying they dont exist.

I linked mine and 2 others in my previous post, Rodney Morris has one also.

The logo is actually RMc on these cues along with the EDC logo

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member

I meant to say that Randy is no longer collaborating with Jules and hasn't for awhile. He rents his shop to him whenever Jules needs it but Jules provides all his own materials. Yes, I can certainly see that the cues in the photos are collaboration cues and I also know that they had a bunch of them to sell...I saw them with my own eyes. The cue you bought was not recently made.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I meant to say that Randy is no longer collaborating with Jules and hasn't for awhile. He rents his shop to him whenever Jules needs it but Jules provides all his own materials. Yes, I can certainly see that the cues in the photos are collaboration cues and I also know that they had a bunch of them to sell...I saw them with my own eyes. The cue you bought was not recently made.

Yes, it was made years ago:thumbup: