Old style Muecci ferrule material

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Have a customer that has an old Muecci with the 1-1/4" long ferrule, and the ferrule has 2 small cracks. Customer is Looking to replace with exact if possible. Anyone have some and willing to part with it? Or know where to find the original material that they used?
Thanks,
Dave

20180913_163719.jpg

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
If that ferrule has ivory looking grain,I don't think the exact material is available anywhere other than people with a NOS stash.

What I do is explain to the customer that the material is unavailable,but it will work out better if I change it to something else because newer materials are simply tougher.

I've done over 100 replacements on old Meucci shafts where that material cracked from breaking,it was a ABS type plastic but especially brittle when combined with the full 3/8 tenon,they were still coming out at 13.25mm stock back then.

The creamy ABS Atlas sells is close. Juma,the ivory grained Elforyn,and Tomahawk are all better materials,but still liable to crack with 1/16 sidewalls. Tommy D.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Have a customer that has an old Muecci with the 1-1/4" long ferrule, and the ferrule has 2 small cracks. Customer is Looking to replace with exact if possible. Anyone have some and willing to part with it? Or know where to find the original material that they used?
Thanks,
Dave

View attachment 500424

Best shaft and ferrule ever!
Jason

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when just about all the top players were using Meucci's it wasn't uncommon to see a player with one butt and a wad of shafts just for this reason. Yeah they played good but those ferrules split like this all the time. If you broke with them their lifespan could be measured in hours or days. Bob still offers the old-school shafts but i have no clue what he's using for ferrules on them.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have just a little bit of the original Meucci material with the 1/4" hole.
Ferrules are $20 each and supply is very limited.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The original material came with a 1/4 inch hole. Earlier on I would drill the hole to 5/16 and cut the tenon down to make it a little stronger. Later I started tapping the 1/4 inch hole to 5/16-18 about 3/4 way through and thread them on. I would leave the front of the ferrule 1/4 inch for extra strength and to give a nice looking round face, unlike what you get if tapped all the way through.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The original material came with a 1/4 inch hole. Earlier on I would drill the hole to 5/16 and cut the tenon down to make it a little stronger. Later I started tapping the 1/4 inch hole to 5/16-18 about 3/4 way through and thread them on. I would leave the front of the ferrule 1/4 inch for extra strength and to give a nice looking round face, unlike what you get if tapped all the way through.

Thanks for the advice Chris, I just received a couple from someone here, and the customer just dropped it off last night, so this advice is well timed.
Dave