What do you look at when getting into your stance.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
ok guys critique away to help me ..ie good and bad way i do it
i get behind the shot line
more or less from my vision center ie around the middle of my body
i hold the cue straight up and look thru the 2 cues i see in the middle of the shot line
i move my right foot behind the shot line
move my left foot to the left where my stance feel comfortabble
and try to go straight down to the table
all the while i am doing this i am fixated on my contact point on the object ball
once down
i see if the cue tip is where i want it and if the line up still looks right
thats how i do it...:smile:

To me, it sounds like you're doing this. If you aren't you'd be pretty good at it. :D:rotflmao1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIo1CrcNEg0

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
try this test
you may need to move your finger closer to your face than the computer screen
https://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth-perception/test.html
here is a thread i started on it a few years ago
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=427338
sorry for the mini hijack BeiberLvr
back to the thread guys

I passed. Stereo/binocular vision intact.

An example of using this is with CTE. We can stand behind the CB, not focusing directly on any individual line between the CB and the OB, yet find a visual perspective/location where we are able to visualize a CTE and an ETA line at the same time without focusing or standing directly behind each line. Then, from that visual location, just like with this green dot finger test you referenced, we focus directly on center CB, and then those two lines that got us positioned into this specific location are no longer used. We are now focusing on a "fixed" CB. This is the 15° perception in CTE. From here you sweep or pivot into the aim line, which is not the line from our fixed CCB to the OB, but a line slightly offset to this perception based on the direction of your sweep/pivot.

I think it's a pretty cool method of getting your body in position for the shot. I know what you're describing with seeing two cues isn't CTE, but the visual concept of looking into the distance and being able to pick up two images (sort of peripherally) is the same. So your post actually pertains to the op's question of What do you look at when getting into your stance?

Last edited:

CaptainPots

Registered
We've had discussions on what you look at before the final stroke, but I don't think I've seen anyone talk about what to look at when getting down on the shot.

I think the general consensus is to flick the eyes back and forth between object ball and cue ball.

But have you ever tried just looking at the cue ball? Like, stand behind the shot as you normally would, then focus your eyes on where you want to hit the cue ball. Then keep your eyes on that point as you get into your stance.

From my personal experience, my stance feels more solid, and I feel much more aligned when I get down on the shot in this manner. Perhaps one of the overlooked benefits of CTE as users are focused on CCB once they've established their visuals.

Except (leaving CTE aside for now), you don't need visuals to make this work. You can just use ghostball or whatever, focus on the cue ball, and get down. I assume experience and your subconscious can take you to the right spot.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Hi

I’ve tried:
1. Focusing only on cue ball
2. Flicking back and forth between cue and object balls
3. Focusing only on object ball

I find myself most consistent with Method 3.

When lowering myself into my stance I stare at the object ball, using it as a visual indicator if I’m making any side to side alignment error. If I do move my head to the left or right when lowering into my stance, the object ball would seem to “move” sideways as well. If I lower my head correctly straight down, the object ball would seem perfectly static.

The same goes for Method 1 but I find it more intuitive and effective with Method 3 on the object ball.

Method 2 is tiring for my eyes flicking back and forth.

Method 3 has helped me with misalignment issues. Taking a long time to discover I am cross eye dominant and that my vision centre is almost directly under my left eye (right handed), I struggled with stance and alignment experimentation for years. But ever since employing Method 3, I can simply get down into my stance and my cue would automatically be aligned to my vision centre close to my left eye. I do this for every shot.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've had discussions on what you look at before the final stroke, but I don't think I've seen anyone talk about what to look at when getting down on the shot.

I think the general consensus is to flick the eyes back and forth between object ball and cue ball.

But have you ever tried just looking at the cue ball? Like, stand behind the shot as you normally would, then focus your eyes on where you want to hit the cue ball. Then keep your eyes on that point as you get into your stance.

From my personal experience, my stance feels more solid, and I feel much more aligned when I get down on the shot in this manner. Perhaps one of the overlooked benefits of CTE as users are focused on CCB once they've established their visuals.

Except (leaving CTE aside for now), you don't need visuals to make this work. You can just use ghostball or whatever, focus on the cue ball, and get down. I assume experience and your subconscious can take you to the right spot.

I play players that are from Europe, Japan, Philippines, Korea as well as a few other places.

Most of them are not true pro quality but they are for sure what most call a very, very strong shortstop speed.

However, there are a couple of them, both happen to be philipinos, that are IMO, and most others that know them right up there with lower tier pros.

I said all that to say this:

Some of the very strong shortstops get down on CB "CLOSE" to the video that gregcantrell linked us to.........

But, the two philipinos that are every bit as good as lower tier pro, well, they don't get on cb..... close to that, they do it EXACTLY as it was done in Greg's link.

I keep trying to bend over CB in that manner and do pretty good job for a hack most of the time.

What I feel is equally important is how they find and walk into the shot line before starting to drop down.

When I watch my ghost matches that I do badly, I have noticed a pattern. That pattern is EXACTLY what your post is about. Dropping down in correct position. In the matches that I've lost, I believe most of my mistakes was due to dropping down in wrong position.

On the flip side, in the ghost races that I did a lot better, well, I also noticed a pattern. The dropping on CB was same but part of pattern that was different was how I lined up and walked into shot line before dropping down on cb.

The subject of your post is a very, very important part of what it takes to be consistent.

If you watch them approaching the table there is a repeatable pattern there as well.

IMO, both of those patterns have to be consistent for the outcome to be the same.

And you are correct, hardly anyone starts posts about such matters. Threads like this one should be stickied.

Great thread/post,

Rake

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
ok guys critique away to help me ..ie good and bad way i do it
i get behind the shot line
more or less from my vision center ie around the middle of my body
i hold the cue straight up and look thru the 2 cues i see in the middle of the shot line
i move my right foot behind the shot line
move my left foot to the left where my stance feel comfortabble
and try to go straight down to the table
all the while i am doing this i am fixated on my contact point on the object ball
once down
i see if the cue tip is where i want it and if the line up still looks right
thats how i do it...:smile:

A suggestion? Change "all the while i am doing this i am fixated on my contact point on the object ball once down" to "while assuming the stance, if I focus on anything it's the tip to cue ball" then "once down, I first check on the cue's relationship to the cue ball/aim on the cue ball, then I find the object ball cp again".

Try it and report back!

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A suggestion? Change "all the while i am doing this i am fixated on my contact point on the object ball once down" to "while assuming the stance, if I focus on anything it's the tip to cue ball" then "once down, I first check on the cue's relationship to the cue ball/aim on the cue ball, then I find the object ball cp again".

Try it and report back!

How about the contact point on the cue ball or the obverse point?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
How about the contact point on the cue ball or the obverse point?

Could be good as well. I'm suggesting focus on relationship to cue ball first, then expand vision out to cut angle. Works very well for most players. VERY well.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Just saw this thread but I was changing to your cb way about the time this thread started....and I like it so far. In fact, I love it. It's easier.

Reducing unnecessary eye movement was my reason for experimenting with looking at the cb when moving down on the shot.

I first move down to a semi-stance, then to my final stance, and with each move I'm now looking at the cb instead of the ob.

It works for me.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Let me add another reason for looking at the cueball when moving my body down into the stance(s)...

I want to do all my aiming while standing, so I do my best to achieve that. When I bend over for the first time, I've already established my line of aim, the plane in which my various body parts will be in for a successful shot. I know this before I bend.

So, when I bend over to establish my bridge position, I am looking at the cueball not the object ball when bending because I already have the line/plane established so my intent at this time is to simply be sure that my grip, cue tip and my cue stick, et al, STAY in that plane as I bend over. Looking at the cueball and its relationship to the tip and cue is the best way for me to keep in plane.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Let me add another reason for looking at the cueball when moving my body down into the stance(s)...

I want to do all my aiming while standing, so I do my best to achieve that. When I bend over for the first time, I've already established my line of aim, the plane in which my various body parts will be in for a successful shot. I know this before I bend.

So, when I bend over to establish my bridge position, I am looking at the cueball not the object ball when bending because I already have the line/plane established so my intent at this time is to simply be sure that my grip, cue tip and my cue stick, et al, STAY in that plane as I bend over. Looking at the cueball and its relationship to the tip and cue is the best way for me to keep in plane.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

And by looking at the cue ball, and then your bridge from fingers to aim spot on the cb, you are establishing alignment and stance (to a great extent) before worrying about the ob.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
And by looking at the cue ball, and then your bridge from fingers to aim spot on the cb, you are establishing alignment and stance (to a great extent) before worrying about the ob.

Exactly. When I first go down on the shot, I am first making sure my bridge is in the exact spot it must be, in the plane and all that. Before, I had a tendency to move my bridge too far to the left and this, of course, screwed up my shots.

I've already got my line and aim figured out...that part's done while I'm standing....I've then got to get/keep the bridge in the plane and the tip exactly on its cueball spot while keeping the shaft in the plane as I go down. That's why I look at the cb when going down...to ensure all that. THEN I can look up again to confirm I've kept the aim during the setup, which usually I do now after so many times doing it. If not, I tweak it but just a bit...if too far off, I stand up and try again.

I made this change of looking at the cb when moving down, just a few months ago an it upped my potting by quite a bit, I'd say.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston