OB shaft review -issues

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past almost 2 years I have bought a total of 3 XL Classic plus shafts and 3 OB Classic plus shaft. Full price. That's almost $2000 of my Canadian dollars.

Here are the issues with these shafts.

1. Not 1 of them is straight anymore, period.

2. For a shaft in the low defection market and pricing there's an awful lot of sugar marks in the shafts. I don't play predator but you don't see that from them. A sugar mark on a Jacoby Hybrid is a factory second. To me that's unacceptable. No way OB should let a shaft with sugar marks in the stroking area out of the shop.

3.The melamine ferrule OB uses is a chalk magnet. Most chalk will penetrate the sealed ferrule very quick even if you chalk proper. Black specs, just a matter of time. Its so bad I want to change the ferrules to something else.

Bottom line.. I expect better for a $220 shaft and feel I have waisted my money. Really is too bad as I love the playability but these issues are making me search and recommend something else.

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the past almost 2 years I have bought a total of 3 XL Classic plus shafts and 3 OB Classic plus shaft. Full price. That's almost $2000 of my Canadian dollars.

1. Not 1 of them is straight anymore, period. Buy a Revo stays straight forever

2. For a shaft in the low defection market and pricing there's an awful lot of sugar marks in the shafts. I don't play predator but you don't see that from them. A sugar mark on a Jacoby Hybrid is a factory second. To me that's unacceptable. No way OB should let a shaft with sugar marks in the stroking area out of the shop. Buy a Revo No sugar

3.The melamine ferrule OB uses is a chalk magnet. Most chalk will penetrate the sealed ferrule very quick even if you chalk proper. Black specs, just a matter of time. Its so bad I want to change the ferrules to something else. Buy a Revo no ferrule to get dirty

Bottom line.. I expect better for a $220 shaft and feel I have waisted my money. Really is too bad as I love the playability but these issues are making me search and recommend something else.
Buy 1 Revo not three OB's for less money

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy 1 Revo not three OB's for less money
The one i had(sold the cue) was sugar-free but you're right about the ferrule. Its got like a slight grid pattern texture that just grabs(and holds) chalk. MagicEraser does a great job of removing it but its back 20 shots after you clean it. They need to switch to Tomahawk ferrules. Super light and easy to keep clean.

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have this problem with my OB ferruel. Ill have to try the magic eraser because nothing else works.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Not 1 of them is straight anymore, period.OB warranty covers warping on "plus" shafts.

2. For a shaft in the low defection market and pricing there's an awful lot of sugar marks in the shafts. I don't play predator but you don't see that from them. A sugar mark on a Jacoby Hybrid is a factory second. To me that's unacceptable. No way OB should let a shaft with sugar marks in the stroking area out of the shop. Mine is pretty clean of sugar marks

3.The melamine ferrule OB uses is a chalk magnet. Most chalk will penetrate the sealed ferrule very quick even if you chalk proper. Black specs, just a matter of time. Its so bad I want to change the ferrules to something else.agree!

I would call OB and send the warped shafts back and express your others concerns to them. I'm sure they would want your feedback.

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB's Quality Control and all around business practices (To be nice) arent worth spit! Of the many products I have come across, most have come apart, made wrong or made with such little quality that the people receiving them are astonished by what they have been sent. I cant believe they are still making it from one day to the next. I wont even begin to talk about the business side of things, I dont like bashing companies or people on the internet, but I would stay clear of this company until things have been addressed. My 2 cents. G

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB's Quality Control and all around business practices (To be nice) arent worth spit! Of the many products I have come across, most have come apart, made wrong or made with such little quality that the people receiving them are astonished by what they have been sent. I cant believe they are still making it from one day to the next. I wont even begin to talk about the business side of things, I dont like bashing companies or people on the internet, but I would stay clear of this company until things have been addressed. My 2 cents. G
Things have changed since Royce passed. You know Don Owen is here on AZB. Anyone with issues might want to contact him directly for more info/help. The OB stuff i've had(1cue and 3 shafts) were all well made and played fine. They hooked-up with Dale Perry to streamline production and i have no idea how that's working out.

Last edited:

diazr3

Registered
I have received 6 shafts from OB. Not one of them was straight. They were all an OB Classic + that I always needed to be replaced for warping. Granted, they were a little warped when I got them but it wasn't enough to bother me until it got worse.

Just my experience.