Slate and Other Materials

bobu5678

Registered
I saw from another post, that stated some pool table manufactures are using materials other than slate for the bed. I've seen tables that use composite MDF type materials for home use, and they generally don't last too long. But the post stated that they were using artificial slate, (he refer to it as "Franken Slate".

I've never heard of or seen artificial slate. Is it real, and is it any good ?

Thanks, Bobu5678

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I saw from another post, that stated some pool table manufactures are using materials other than slate for the bed. I've seen tables that use composite MDF type materials for home use, and they generally don't last too long. But the post stated that they were using artificial slate, (he refer to it as "Franken Slate".

I've never heard of or seen artificial slate. Is it real, and is it any good ?

Thanks, Bobu5678

Trust me, if there was anything as good as or better than using slate, it would have been mainstream in pool tables by now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about that fake slate Brunswick used in the early Gold Crowns? Brunstone? I've heard its great until you have to move it then it breaks/chips. Why'd they ever use this stuff? Had to be cheaper i'm guessing.

bobu5678

Registered
Concrete ???

I was thinking that concrete may work. Slate was being used on pool tables before concrete was common. The early concrete I don't think would work.

In the 1980's they came up with additives to change concrete's characteristics. (plasticizers). Now kitchen counter-tops are being made of concrete, I've seen pictures of tabletops, and chairs. If you can make a tabletop, you could probably make a slate substitute. In addition to new concrete mixes, frequently there is metal re-enforcing.

The big questions would be how do the costs work ?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was thinking that concrete may work. Slate was being used on pool tables before concrete was common. The early concrete I don't think would work.

In the 1980's they came up with additives to change concrete's characteristics. (plasticizers). Now kitchen counter-tops are being made of concrete, I've seen pictures of tabletops, and chairs. If you can make a tabletop, you could probably make a slate substitute. In addition to new concrete mixes, frequently there is metal re-enforcing.

The big questions would be how do the costs work ?

I'm sure some kind of .manufactured playing surface could be made to replace slate, but Brazilian 9ft slate runs about $200 FOB, no man made material is ever going to be priced that low, and especially if American made! Think about this, there is still the old Brunswick slate quarries in Vermont, untouched since WWll, because the cost of mining with American labor is cost prohibitive when it can be bought from Brazil for at least 200% less in cost!!

bobu5678

Registered
Slate

If the price of Slate wholesale for a 9 ft table is $200, then you're right. The last time I checked, if you bought slate, for 1 9ft. table at retail, it could run $1000.

Last edited: