SVB aiming vid..................

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is being made much harder than it is.

For every successful alignment (ie lined up correctly to pocket the ball), the tip of the cue is pointed at something. One of the five alignment options will line up with either the center of the object ball, or the edge of the object ball for most shots.

For shots that do not lie within that range, you have to learn how to be precise with a visual estimation off the edge of the ob.

It is really not difficult, its not magic. You still have to accurately align your stroke to the line, and stroke straight on the line.

Its just a visual trick to align to the shot. Nothing more, nothing less.

He is just pointing to the shaft in that video, but he is not aiming or saying he is aiming, with the meat of the shaft near the joint collar.

Are you really thinking thats what he was talking about? Cause thats kind of funny if your constant reply of "thats bullshit" is based on your complete misunderstanding of what he is talking about :thumbup:.

I'm not sure who is making it much harder than it is. But you accused JoeyinCali of completely misunderstanding what Shane was talking about. Yet Joey knew Shane was pointing to a specific spot on the shaft to aim from.

There's more to it than you understand. Shane is explaining how to aim the shots that can't be aimed using the ferrule. If you understood what he was saying, you wouldn't be telling us "For shots that do not lie within that range, you have to learn how to be precise with a visual estimation off the edge of the ob." Why didn't Shane say that? Because he's exchanging "visual estimation" for exact aim points. Watch the video again.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure who is making it much harder than it is. But you accused JoeyinCali of completely misunderstanding what Shane was talking about. Yet Joey knew Shane was pointing to a specific spot on the shaft to aim from.

There's more to it than you understand. Shane is explaining how to aim the shots that can't be aimed using the ferrule. If you understood what he was saying, you wouldn't be telling us "For shots that do not lie within that range, you have to learn how to be precise with a visual estimation off the edge of the ob." Why didn't Shane say that? Because he's exchanging "visual estimation" for exact aim points. Watch the video again.

Ive talked to Shane in person at length about it.

He doesnt use the sides of the shaft near joint to aim with.

There is most definitely a point where the tip is past the ball, and to cut it thin enough, nothing about your tip will be aligned with the ob. Does not come up often unless you enjoy shooting almost 90 deg cuts.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a misconception. With the side of the ferrule aimed at the OB’s edge, the center of the ferrule is aimed 1/2 ferrule off the OB’s edge, the same at any distance.

Imagine a train on a straight stretch of track. It’s left side is aligned straight along the left rail and it’s right side is aligned straight along the right rail no matter how near or far you look - even though the rails in the distance look closer together.

pj
chgo

It's simply an approximation technique that works well for some people. Go try it a few dozen times and report back. If you keep hitting too thick, try looking down the edge of the shaft instead of the center of the shaft.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video and heard and saw demonstrated thin cuts being made to the left using the left edge of ferrule, It was inferred that similar thin cuts to the right would be using the right edge of the ferrule, There were three other lines of the ferrule inside the edges that would be used to make other shots besides the thin cuts shown. The shots these other lines made were never shown--except for one shot using the center of the ferrule. Hence, we have two edges and A-B-C. All of this is very similar to Hall Houle's breakdown of an object ball with two edges and A-B-C except using the ferrule system you are breaking down in the same manner Hal Breaks down the OB.

We are left to find out what the balls and shots the three lines Shane uses on his ferrule make. We know the edges make thin cuts and the center straight and very shallow cuts so it is up to us to determine through trial and error what lines A-B-C make.

Biggest thing will be finding out those balls and shots and once you do is it easier for you to see ferrule lines or is it easier for you to aiming points easier seeing overlapping CB & OB's or fractionals? Freddy The Beard and I both thought that the more banking systems you knew the better off you were as one confirms your supposition and each other one reinforced your dedication to your decision and your shot. Rotational the same if you use 5 systems that lead you to the same conclusion pull the damn trigger, Don't deny until you have tried.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched the video and heard and saw demonstrated thin cuts being made to the left using the left edge of ferrule, It was inferred that similar thin cuts to the right would be using the right edge of the ferrule, There were three other lines of the ferrule inside the edges that would be used to make other shots besides the thin cuts shown. The shots these other lines made were never shown--except for one shot using the center of the ferrule. Hence, we have two edges and A-B-C. All of this is very similar to Hall Houle's breakdown of an object ball with two edges and A-B-C except using the ferrule system you are breaking down in the same manner Hal Breaks down the OB.

We are left to find out what the balls and shots the three lines Shane uses on his ferrule make. We know the edges make thin cuts and the center straight and very shallow cuts so it is up to us to determine through trial and error what lines A-B-C make.

Biggest thing will be finding out those balls and shots and once you do is it easier for you to see ferrule lines or is it easier for you to aiming points easier seeing overlapping CB & OB's or fractionals? Freddy The Beard and I both thought that the more banking systems you knew the better off you were as one confirms your supposition and each other one reinforced your dedication to your decision and your shot. Rotational the same if you use 5 systems that lead you to the same conclusion pull the damn trigger, Don't deny until you have tried.

bruce lee is said to have said
i do not fear the man who knows 1000 kicks
i fear the man who has practiced one kick 1000 times.....:thumbup:
just sayin

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
bruce lee is said to have said
i do not fear the man who knows 1000 kicks
i fear the man who has practiced one kick 1000 times.....:thumbup:
just sayin

Bruce Lee is Bruce Lee. If you or I had EITHER of those two men in front of us, we not only would fear, but would both get our ASS KICKED!
just sayin'

juggernaut0629

Registered
You are actually describing exactly what I do. And Im sure Shane has figured it out too.

The tip alignment on the OB is done while standing. You are picturing it, and feeling yourself slide into the shot. You make a double check to make sure you did your alignment correctly.

Then it is about focusing on the target on the CB, and feeling what the stroke needs to feel like speed wise. And I do this in 2-3 practice strokes.

You allowed for part A, overlooked the possibility that he was also doing part B. And since you overlooked it, you assumed he could not arrive at point C.

I also aim like this. But I don't commit to only 1 aiming method for every shot. I find certain shots where ghost ball is easier for me vs CTE and vice versa. I also use it for CTE as a double check & ghost ball method. On a second note, while I'm not entirely sure, didn't Cuetec add the ferrule to their carbon fiber shafts for this aiming reason?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the tip aimed center CB or is it inside? Wouldn’t tip diameter come into play with this or am I over thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paolo2144

Registered
I came across the video describing SVB's aiming method last month, so thought i would play around with it and see if there was anything to it or not.

What i did find was that on severe to very severe cut shots, that by using the ferrule as a kind of point of aiming, it helped improve my accuracy quite a bit.

However i agree that it is a matter of trial and error like any aiming system. Also i agree that for some super fine cut shots say to left hand side, it will not work if you aim left edge of ferrule to outside edge of object ball, that would still cut certain shots too thick.

I play on a 7ft UK table which has the super tight pockets so accuracy is at a premium for certain shots. I found that on the really extreme cut shots i had to aim the edge of ferrule to actually miss object ball all together. It was tricky at first but once i practiced for a while i got the feel of exactly where i should be aiming to make the pot.

I wouldn't dismiss this method, but probably would be of most benefit to a player who struggles when attempting moderate to extreme cut shots.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Is the tip aimed center CB or is it inside? Wouldn’t tip diameter come into play with this or am I over thinking?
With the tip aimed through center CB its edge only aligns accurately with the OB contact point that's 1/2 tip width on the other side of center (the exact spot depends on tip width). Aligning it with other OB contact points will always be too fat or thin (a little or a lot) - it's really a single reference cut angle like one of the fractional alignments (close to 3/4 ball).

pj
chgo

Last edited: