Length of cues

John oleson

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Men's height has obviously changed over the years. If you are 6' tall, does the seemingly standard 58" still make sense?

Am thinking about lightening the weight on the Predators to accommodate the full time use of the 3" extension.

Thanks ... john_oleson@comcast.net

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Men's height has obviously changed over the years. If you are 6' tall, does the seemingly standard 58" still make sense?

Am thinking about lightening the weight on the Predators to accommodate the full time use of the 3" extension.

What i've done on my Mezz. Took out the bolt, added a cf 3" ext and it weighs 20oz. I'm good with that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told that your cue tip should touch your bottom lip with the butt of the cue sitting on the floor.

For me, that is 58".

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same here. I'm 6'-2" tall and have a wing span of 6'-2" which resulted in my having to hold the cue almost on the butt cap.

What I did was remove the factory weight bolt and add my home made 7" extension that weighs 6.7 oz. The trick was to get the weight as far away from my grip hand as I could. So I added a 3" - 3 oz weight to the very end of the extension. The extension without the weight weighs a little over 3 oz and is made with a very light material. It's a slip on extension so that it can be removed easily on jacked up shots.

Now the weight is behind my grip hand and not in my grip hand.

Taking this whole distribution of cue weight a little further I also added a Balance Rite mid cue extension. 3.75" long and weighs 2 oz.

The cue weighs 24 oz and is 70" long. The balance point of the cue is at 23" as measured from the end of the extension.

It takes a while to get use to pulling the cue (weight behind the grip hand) forward.

What got me started on this whole idea was watching small sized pro players on YouTube and where they were gripping the cue, most grip the cue on the center of the cue. Which to me suggested that all they do is keep add different size weight bolts or whatever in the butt of the cue until they like the feel of the stroke.

Been using the cue for over a year and can't even imagine ever playing without the extensions.

You may want to experiment with different size extensions. Rather than getting a 3" extension you may want to try a 6" extension.

Once you get use to the cue I think you will really like it.

Have a good day :)

John

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told that your cue tip should touch your bottom lip with the butt of the cue sitting on the floor.

For me, that is 58".
Who thought that up? What is the rationale? What does the distance from bottom lip to floor have to do with anything? Is that some kind of "golden ratio"? Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who thought that up? What is the rationale? What does the distance from bottom lip to floor have to do with anything? Is that some kind of "golden ratio"? Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

I've heard "to the chin" but maybe there is a different tribe of old wives in my area.

I think the length should go up with the player's size. The opposite of this that I've seen applied is when an APA 3 who is 5'1" gets fitted out with a 62-inch cue so they can reach more shots. In the meantime, they have to get a stepladder to chalk.:eek:

I think there's no point in having more length than you usually use. If 99% of your bridge lengths allow you to hold the stick in the orthodox perpendicular-at-impact position, that's long enough. Get out your quick-connect extension once every ten racks for the other 1% of shots. It helps if you are willing to use the bridge more, which is what short players ought to be doing.

And this means if you like 6-inch bridges, a shorter cue will be fine for you compared to someone your height who likes to get a foot and a half of wood out there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just a way of saying taller people need longer cues (because of their wider wingspans).

58" is about chin/lip height for an average male (5' 6").

pj
chgo
5'6" average?? Where? Munchkin land? Seems kinda short to me. I thought it was 5-9/5-10.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
5'6" average?? Where? Munchkin land? Seems kinda short to me. I thought it was 5-9/5-10.
height.JPG

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's the world average. The average American man is more like 5' 9" I think - but they're not the only pool players.

pj
chgo

tru

FWIW, a 58" cue just reaches the chin of a 5' 7" person (with typical body proportions).

pj
chgo

or 5'6..

sean (has been described as "atypical" before ^_^)

ps this all reminds me of what I heard coming up about tennis rackets
that one should fit well in between one's armpit and the grip of one's palm, arm fully extended
of course tennis rackets aren't as practically customizable as pool cues (good for us)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little confused here. You guys keep talking about wing span. Isn't that the length between your hands when your arms are stretched out like the wings of a bird? How is that related to when a player is down in position to shoot?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm a little confused here. You guys keep talking about wing span. Isn't that the length between your hands when your arms are stretched out like the wings of a bird? How is that related to when a player is down in position to shoot?
If your wing span is larger your bridge and grip hands are typically farther apart.

pj
chg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your wing span is larger your bridge and grip hands are typically farther apart.

pj
chg

That's an arbitrary way of measuring someone's span in their stance. We should be focusing on finding a way to measure someone's stance span and then we can discuss cue length relative to that.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think the length should go up with the player's size. The opposite of this that I've seen applied is when an APA 3 who is 5'1" gets fitted out with a 62-inch cue so they can reach more shots. In the meantime, they have to get a stepladder to chalk.:eek:

This is seriously one of the funniest things I've read in a while! :lol:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
That's an arbitrary way of measuring someone's span in their stance.
It's not a way of measuring someone's span in their stance; it's just a way of saying that it's related to height.

I suppose we could estimate spans from pics of players in their stance by estimating their bridge length and the length of butt behind their grip (if we know the length of their cue).

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not a way of measuring someone's span in their stance; it's just a way of saying that it's related to height.

I suppose we could estimate spans from pics of players in their stance by estimating their bridge length and the length of butt behind their grip (if we know the length of their cue).

pj
chgo

Watch Tyler Styer....on his back stroke he has the longest extended stroke arm I've ever seen. I guess he has long arms, large wing span. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that he plays with an extended cue. Maybe not, but that back stroke is way back behind him, so far that it's amazing the tip doesn't slip out of his bridge hand.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

But if you're going to talk about what the best cue length for a player should be, then you should find a way to measure them in their stance. Torso length could be a factor too. You guys claim to be scientific yet you succumb to such an arbitrary way of measuring players. You're creative. Come up with something. Figure it out. Challenge yourself.