Gluing down bed cloth.

Cueball13

Registered
Can anyone give me tips or point me towards good instructions on how to glue down a bed cloth? There is no wood to nail it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Kind of weird that the video shows a different installation method vs the staple method.

Also, it shows spray glue being used and then on their site it says this:

"Note for Glue-Down Installations

Simonis cloth can be glued, but only with certain adhesives. Most spray adhesives, WILL NOT hold the cloth in a edge-glue application.

We recommend 3M Fast-Bond10™ for edge-glue glue-down installations. Currently, we are not aware of any other adhesives that will give proper adhesion for a straight edge-glue install."

The OP never mentioned what type of cloth he was planning to use?

TFT

P.S.might as well get BOTH dvds, https://www.seyberts.com/pool-table...nis-rail-bed-cloth-installation-training-dvd/

Last edited:

Ramsey

was disappointed that I bought the video and then they used the spray glue in it, and why did simonis let them do that in the video when there was proper glue out there.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
was disappointed that I bought the video and then they used the spray glue in it, and why did simonis let them do that in the video when there was proper glue out there.

I hear that!! Not to mention they show a completely different install pattern as well. I use the same indexing/ stretching method they use for the staple version. Everyone has their own lil twists on it, as do I. I came up with my own way of laying it out and gluing it though. I use RKC250 adhesive. I have also used Parabond m250 and Fastbond 10, they all vary in price , but, all work well.
They should revisit the glue down method that is for sure.

TFT

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Keep in mind, the Simonis installation video shows installation on a bar table. This is NOT considered an "edge-glue" installation, as cloth is folded underneath, and glued on the bottom side of the slate. In this case, you have a slight bit of glue on the top side of the slate, glue on the edge, and glue on the bottom. Along with that, when the slate is placed in the cabinet, the slate rests on the cloth that is glued to the bottom of the slate.

3M-77 is not ideal for edge-glued applications. However, 3M-90 works quite well.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
1-3/8" is a pretty light stretch? It sure made closing the pockets easy though!

Yes, I think it is as well. Like I said, everyone has their own twist on how they do it. I think the methodology is solid and it is the best video out on how to do it. My method is very similar.

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
May I ask what the difference is in this appliction between the 3m10 and the 3m fastbond10?

They are the same. Fastbond is quite a bit more money. Around $100 a gallon, RKC about $70 and I think parabond m-250 is the most affordable at like $150 for 5 gallons.

TFT

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sent you a PM with a couple video links

Do you mind sharing the information with me as well? I was in Illinois when Glen was teaching everybody how to use the gluing method but I don't remember any of that for that was a very long time ago.

Thank you.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are the same. Fastbond is quite a bit more money. Around $100 a gallon, RKC about $70 and I think parabond m-250 is the most affordable at like $150 for 5 gallons.

TFT

I am looking to order some glue, possibly today for a table project and I may need more for when I buy a table for myself. How much would you recommend for 2 tables? This includes gluing new rubber to the rails.

Also, I want to save a little money so not being a pro and this being my own and a friends table, do you feel Parabond m-250 is sufficient?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I am looking to order some glue, possibly today for a table project and I may need more for when I buy a table for myself. How much would you recommend for 2 tables? This includes gluing new rubber to the rails.

Also, I want to save a little money so not being a pro and this being my own and a friends table, do you feel Parabond m-250 is sufficient?

A quart should be enough, I am not sure if they sell parabond in small amounts like that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RKC250-Bil...462696?hash=item23c1834be8:g:jR8AAOSwKgZdL63I

TFT

p.s. buy one quart and see how far it goes on the first table.
p.s.s. I would buy the Simonis install dvds and I would stick to staples for the bedcloth if the table has wood slatebackers....

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I know both methods. I use staples when there are wood slatebackers and the gluedown mainly on Diamonds/ Valleys that do not have the backers. I see no quantifiable reason to use one over the other: my outcome is the same with either. Actually the glue down methods is far harder and if you are not familiar, why try such an advanced method if there is no reason to? So the short answer is : staples are far easier for someone who is not experienced with the adhesive method. Just my $0.02 :)

TFT

Thanks for the link.

Why stick to staples?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk