Deuel "Excited" About IBSF World Snooker Experience

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooker Island Forum
http://www.snookerisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=275&t=4960

One UK woman not playing because of the financial demands of international competition.

Which leads to a question asked over in the Snooker section:
What happens if Deuel wins?

Going on the pro circuit is expensive.
Check out the the tournament calendar and locations.
http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Tournaments/FullCalendar
Plus you need a home base to practice, and probably a management company to handle all the details.

Does Corey have an angel?
He does have sponsors and hopefully they would have some interest in doing snooker. It would be wonderfully amazing if he did win, but I suspect that the combined number of centuries made by the other entrants is several orders of magnitude larger than Corey's. But that was true at the Nationals also.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Um, you do realise this is...well, I don't know what this is - presumably an amateur event? Not that he'll win anyway but the bigger boys are playing proper, grown-up snooker for men and that at the same time in England, the spiritual home of cue sports. The UK Championships are a slightly bigger draw, with £700k prize money at stake, and £150k ($240k) to the winner.

Incidentally, the 128 open draw format introduced by Hearn this year sees World number two Mark Selby drawn against a 15 year old boy. Were that 15 year old drawn against CD, I have no doubt who would win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/25057223

Nothing better than a good pounding to increase ones awareness and focus and learning curve, especially a seasoned pro. Ya gotta start somewhere. I remember in college when I was at the top tier of 14.1 players in the US, then went to a bar table/BigBall Heavy, I couldn't beat anyone at first. I hope he places one out of the money, that's a driver.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Is there any particular reason this was scheduled at the same time as the UK Championships?

The IBSF World Snooker Championships aren't a professional World Snooker Tour event, so it's of no consequence to be scheduled at the same time as the UK Championship.

Best wishes.

Alan.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
There's a nice mixture of age and skill levels in this tournament. Michael Judge is one to watch for sure. Good luck to Corey, I hope he does well.

So I was wrong in assuming that you had an explanation why world-class snooker players playing in pro-level pool events have not only not outclassed pro-level pool players but have not even won.

The explanation is simple; snooker players view pool as a game for girls - a bit of fun.

But that STILL bears no relation to what I said.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Americans Arrive In Latvia For IBSF World Snooker Opening

I for one applauded Corey's decision to broaden his billiard playing horizons and compete in the United States National Snooker Championship as it was great for snooker in the United States.

He deserves a lot of praise for also taking the decision to play in the IBSF World Snooker Championships whatever his achievement in the event is.

The match schedule has been released and I believe has been very kind to Corey:

http://www.snookerusa.com/news/201311270813-americans-arrive-in-latvia-for-ibsf-world-snooker-opening

He will play who would be considered the weakest two players in his group for his first two matches, and if you judge his performance by what he did in the National Championship, this will help him grow into his game.

The player from Israel maybe of a similar standard to Corey, but he will probably struggle against Welshman Lee Walker and China's Zhao Xintong, but as four qualify from the group I expect Corey to go through - any wins he may have from then on in the knockout stage will be a bonus.

Ahmed Aly has a tough opening group match as he is playing the defending champion from Pakistan, Muhammad Asif, but he too certainly has a good opportunity to advance out of the group.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
No offence to Corey (I hope he does well :)) but I think he is gonna get smoked. Snooker demands potting skills with a strong command of whitey. I saw he on the live stream and his play seemed very tight wired and not loose. Like I said... im pulling for corey but he's got a really strong field to battle.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
That depends on how many players from the group advance. He just might make it out of there if they're allowing top 3. Not likely he'll get by the guy's from China or Wales, but there's a Mongolian, Ukrainian, and some other guy in the mix.

Apparently 4 of the 6 advance. I was thinking that only 2 of the 6 advance when I wrote he would not make it through :eek: ... with 4 of 6 going through I will change my mind.

I now predict that he will lose either his first or second elimimination match.

I do agree that his participation in your US national championship and now this event can only be good for the game in the USA and shows me that CD is very open minded and loves a challenge ... well played sir !

Dave

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No offence to Corey (I hope he does well :)) but I think he is gonna get smoked. Snooker demands potting skills with a strong command of whitey. I saw he on the live stream and his play seemed very tight wired and not loose. Like I said... im pulling for corey but he's got a really strong field to battle.

Its no different than myself playing in Johnson City during my college years....you learn allot.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Most of the snooker players have bad breaks. Also they lack the specialized pool knowledge. The rails in pool and snooker act differently and certain shots do not come up or are impossible on a snooker table. Spin transfer banks for instance. Many of the snooker players have brilliant cue actions and would for sure do well if they put effort into it ...

We are fortunate to play both games around here (although I am not a snooker player). It seems to me that most of our best pool players were/are our best snooker players.

As you say, they have good cueing, but there are big differences in the equipment. A good friend and excellent snooker and pool player told me that he will play both pool (8 ball in this case) and snooker at our national championship only if snooker is first. He says that if he plays pool first his cueing goes downhill and he has more trouble playing snooker. He would be first-and-foremost a snooker player. Just one mans opinion but it seems to be pretty solid.

Dave

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Apparently 4 of the 6 advance. I was thinking that only 2 of the 6 advance when I wrote he would not make it through :eek: ... with 4 of 6 going through I will change my mind.

I now predict that he will lose either his first or second elimimination match.

I do agree that his participation in your US national championship and now this event can only be good for the game in the USA and shows me that CD is very open minded and loves a challenge ... well played sir !

Dave

If 4 of 6 advanced I would be surprised if he doesn't make it through. He may even have a chance against the Chinese lad. The main criticism I've heard about the Chinese players is that they are too aggressive and lack finesse and proper safety game. That was Dominic Dale's assessment. So Corey can use that to his advantage and perhaps apply his one pocket knowledge as best he can to slow down the game.

From a Canadian standpoint, Jason Williams looks to have a good draw too.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
Here's to corey doing well! I don't think the break building will be a problem, he's already got mad skills in straight pool. Its the long game that will make the difference. If he gets a touch for the long safety, I think he'll fair quite well.

Thefonz <== hopes snooker comes back so he can quit buying pool cues.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far so bad

Looks like Corey was torched by Baldandorj. Baldandorj is ranked as the 17th best player in Mongolia, having won the Mongolian POTBLACK snooker championship 2003-04.

Next up for Corey, Iulian Boiko (age 8) from the Ukraine, tomorrow 11/30 probably about 9 am Eastern Time.

Last edited:
They spend a large amount of money and time on airfare, hotel rooms, etc., to just have a fun 3 - 5 days minimum and aren't really trying to win? That's your explanation for why they don't mop up the floor with pool players who you say have a lower skill level in a game that you say is easier than snooker? They must enjoy losing a lot.

Christ, you deduct a lot based on my statement that every cueist would be playing snooker if they were good enough.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey

Well I really am just glad for Corey, that he gets this experience and has this fun. I guarantee you he is having a great time, enjoying the novelty of it, the challenge, the ambiance, and getting to meet and play against such an international field.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I really am just glad for Corey, that he gets this experience and has this fun. I guarantee you he is having a great time, enjoying the novelty of it, the challenge, the ambiance, and getting to meet and play against such an international field.

It's one of my favorite character traits of Corey. He's never been a follower; he's a leader. He's never afraid to trying something new, and when he puts his mind to it, he conquers all. I have no dobut that Corey will succeed in snooker, and if he does, nothing would make me happier than to see him score a big one. He certainly has a better chance of making a good score in snooker than playing 9-ball on the American tournament trail.