Deuel "Excited" About IBSF World Snooker Experience

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Looks like Corey was torched by Baldandorj. Baldandorj is ranked as the 17th best player in Mongolia, having won the Mongolian POTBLACK snooker championship 2003-04.

Next up for Corey, Iulian Boiko (age 8) from the Ukraine, tomorrow 11/30 probably about 9 am Eastern Time.

Score?????????????????

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The live scoring is very impressive. Here is a link to a summary of all tables:
http://www.esnooker.pl/live/en/tsnew.php -- you can see which table has a large break in progress.

If you click to see a particular table, it will show you which balls have been pocketed in the current break and how many points remain on the table. Amazing.

You even get to see a picture of the referee.

The live scoring is very impressive. Here is a link to a summary of all tables:
http://www.esnooker.pl/live/en/tsnew.php -- you can see which table has a large break in progress.

If you click to see a particular table, it will show you which balls have been pocketed in the current break and how many points remain on the table. Amazing.

You even get to see a picture of the referee.

For an amateur event, that's fantastic. Are you involved in this Bob?

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey deserves all compliments even if he loses every single match in his group (which he won't). It isn't easy putting your reputation on line like that. I know many people won't be impressed with that, but I am.
It is a tough field, even if the championships are labeled as 'amateur'. If you followed snooker more closely for some years, you'd find some pretty strong players, former pro's, top level juniors...etc...quite a few of them. Corey is a champion level pool player, but it is very unfair and totally unrealistic to expect that anyone who does not have a super super strong snooker background to just go there and make an impact.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Corey deserves all compliments even if he loses every single match in his group (which he won't). It isn't easy putting your reputation on line like that. I know many people won't be impressed with that, but I am.
It is a tough field, even if the championships are labeled as 'amateur'. If you followed snooker more closely for some years, you'd find some pretty strong players, former pro's, top level juniors...etc...quite a few of them. Corey is a champion level pool player, but it is very unfair and totally unrealistic to expect that anyone who does not have a super super strong snooker background to just go there and make an impact.

To be fair I don't believe Corey's reputation is on the line in competing in these Championships as he's not a snooker player, but he should be congratulated and applauded for what he is doing and hopefully it will inspire him to want to play more snooker and improve his game.

I hope he is feeling a "buzz" from this kind of snooker experience, and he will want a lot more of this in the future and it wills him to do better next time.

He's done a lot to bring more attention onto snooker in the United States, and it would be great if many more of his fellow pool pros would try their hand at competing in the game - I know there are at least one or two other pool players that may consider entering the United States National Snooker Championship next year, so it's "good on" Corey for inspiring this.

I am still very hopeful that he can qualify out of his group, but we will have to wait and see. He has nothing to prove and hopefully doesn't feel any pressure because of his pool reputation.

Best wishes.

Alan.

SilentLurker

Registered
Fair play to Corey (big respect from me), if he came last I don't think it would harm his reputation, it might even enhance it.

IMHO he doesn't stand a chance of winning (secretly he might know that), but at least he's having a go, which is far more than most have ever done. Every snooker comp he enters he gets him more experience. More and more and who knows he might make the quarters or even the semi's (in a non pro tourney) one day.

I know this sounds harsh, but before everyone jumps on the "why can't a pool player win at snooker? - bandwagon", be realistic look at the list of highest breaks of the other players in the tournament. Both in matchplay and practice, there are quite a few professional players who have never managed to get a maximum. Never mind the ones "not good enough to become pro". Even some ex world champs have never had one!

If the USA wants a real snooker champ, they need to get them to England or China while they are young (aged around 6-8), and get them coached. If they have the dedication they have time on their side at that age to stand a chance to compete....

Starting in your teens or later, forget it... Doesn't matter how much skill you have in other cue sports (unless maybe English billiards which is on the same table with a slightly different height), to a top snooker pro, you've already lost...

It's a bitter pill to swallow but unfortunately true.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
To be fair I don't believe Corey's reputation is on the line in competing in these Championships as he's not a snooker player, but he should be congratulated and applauded for what he is doing and hopefully it will inspire him to want to play more snooker and improve his game.

I hope he is feeling a "buzz" from this kind of snooker experience, and he will want a lot more of this in the future and it wills him to do better next time.

He's done a lot to bring more attention onto snooker in the United States, and it would be great if many more of his fellow pool pros would try their hand at competing in the game - I know there are at least one or two other pool players that may consider entering the United States National Snooker Championship next year, so it's "good on" Corey for inspiring this.

I am still very hopeful that he can qualify out of his group, but we will have to wait and see. He has nothing to prove and hopefully doesn't feel any pressure because of his pool reputation.

Best wishes.

Alan.

At the level of play he's reached before, and what it takes to get to the top, I'd say has allot more in the tank than ninety percent of his peers at this amateur or semi amateur event. That alone is special....many in this discipline have never achieved this mental level of play, and the ability to dig in, as Bill Murray said in the movie/caddy shack....''I got that going for me''. :thumbup:

There are TWO sides to great players, the physical skill and the mental skill. I'd prefer the latter learning a new discipline, he already has THAT.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If the USA wants a real snooker champ, they need to get them to England or China while they are young (aged around 6-8), and get them coached. If they have the dedication they have time on their side at that age to stand a chance to compete....

Starting in your teens or later, forget it... Doesn't matter how much skill you have in other cue sports (unless maybe English billiards which is on the same table with a slightly different height), to a top snooker pro, you've already lost...

It's a bitter pill to swallow but unfortunately true.

I remember reading a book, can't remember the name, where Steve Davis said of the Chinese players back in the 80's that they were barely of a 30 break standard. Now, there are tons of great players in China. As more people started playing snooker the standard rose to the point it is at today in China and now Ding is tipped to be a future World Champ.

I think for the US it would be an organic process. If more people take up snooker seriously, the competition will improve. It's really tough to develop a world class player without anyone at or near that level around them. But now is as good an opportunity for players than ever, since they can pop over for a few weeks and give Q school a try. Back when you had to qualify through the Pontins Tour or any other tour based in the UK, it was not reasonable for most to bother, regardless of skill.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corey and snooker

I like Corey. He has more imagination than most others- sometimes too much!

That being said- I applaud his presence in the snooker arena.

He has a champions heart- but he is a long way from winning any substantial snooker titles.

But I like bus sense if of ad entire.
Go Corey!!!

Mark Gfiffin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember reading a book, can't remember the name, where Steve Davis said of the Chinese players back in the 80's that they were barely of a 30 break standard. Now, there are tons of great players in China. ...
And I remember the 1975 US Open (straight pool) in which the sole non-US entry was a German who was about the APA-5 level. They play better there too now.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Guys, Corey has NO CHANCE to win this. Don't even waste time dreaming about it. But he will have fun and he will learn what happens when incredible discipline meets the game of snooker by virtue of the display of skill he will face. I have no doubt that Corey may face young players who will thrash him. Corey himself was running around America thrashing adults long before he was old enough to drink in the game he chose to learn and master, pool.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I remember the 1975 US Open (straight pool) in which the sole non-US entry was a German who was about the APA-5 level. They play better there too now.

Not to get too off topic...

I'm currently watching an old 14.1 match between Sigel and Varner at the 2001 US Open, and Incardona talks about how a relatively unknown John Schmidt beat Sigel the day before.

I remember reading a book, can't remember the name, where Steve Davis said of the Chinese players back in the 80's that they were barely of a 30 break standard. Now, there are tons of great players in China. As more people started playing snooker the standard rose to the point it is at today in China and now Ding is tipped to be a future World Champ.

I think for the US it would be an organic process. If more people take up snooker seriously, the competition will improve. It's really tough to develop a world class player without anyone at or near that level around them. But now is as good an opportunity for players than ever, since they can pop over for a few weeks and give Q school a try. Back when you had to qualify through the Pontins Tour or any other tour based in the UK, it was not reasonable for most to bother, regardless of skill.

Snooker holds a mirror up to cue sports in America. It is patently obvious they do not like what they see.

Never going to happen.

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey down!

Corey is down 22-5 in the first frame! He is being manhandled by Iulian!

Corey comes back to win the first frame 60-something to 39.

Iulian despite his age took 1 frame (out of 5) from Lee Walker yesterday, and Lee Walker from Wales appears to be a fine player with a competition break of 143.

Meanwhile Corey leads the second frame 81 to 8. Corey seems to be getting the hang of it, probably improving his safety play.
Corey has now won the 2nd frame.

It appears that in order to advance, the number of match wins is the main number, but then it goes to frames won versus frames lost. So Corey really needs to not lose a frame if he can. 4 out of the 6 players in the group advance, Iulian is not advancing, so Corey will need to surge ahead of either Vaitzman or Baldandorj in his "P" group.

Last edited:

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vaitzman

Lee Walker leads Vaitzman of Israel 2 frames to none. Vaitzman is probably the man Corey has to beat to advance. Corey leads Iulian comfortably in the 3rd frame 52 to 22.

Corey wins the 3rd frame.

Corey leads the 4th frame 33 to 1. Probably he has learned how to leave Iulian safe.

Corey and Vaitzman don't play until Monday, 2 pm Eastern Time. So the drama may last a while.

Last edited:

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vaitzman (continued)

Vaitzman won the 3rd frame versus Walker, now trails 2 frames to 1. Vaitzman can play. His and Corey's match Monday may be epic!

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Iulian

Looks like a safety battle in the 4th frame, but Corey breaks out and wins the 4th frame. So Corey did not lose a frame.

Last edited: