Deuel "Excited" About IBSF World Snooker Experience

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
In the 80s, at a BCA trade show, Tony Knowles made a disparaging remark about 9-ball.
...he was fourth in the world snooker rankings at the time.
Sigel and Rempe took him to a pool table and charged him $7,000,,,,,Knowles never
asked for a rematch.

A snooker champion is not a pool champion....or a carom champion.

Good comments, accurate and insightful (or in someone`s case here, inciteful). ;)

Will Prout

30REBORNFAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 80s, at a BCA trade show, Tony Knowles made a disparaging remark about 9-ball.
...he was fourth in the world snooker rankings at the time.
Sigel and Rempe took him to a pool table and charged him $7,000,,,,,Knowles never
asked for a rematch.

A snooker champion is not a pool champion....or a carom champion.

This story lightened up my morning and will no doubt be rolled out again when fighting the good fight against the Snooker Snobs.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey Deuel conquers every pocket billiard game he puts his mind to. He's that talented. I'm not sure why people on this thread want to critique his intentions on playing snooker. Personally, I think it's pretty cool. :cool:

As Corey ages, maybe he should think about the game that most veterans, if not all, end up playing, and that's One Pocket.

I am reminded of a quote from another forum: "One Pocket is the only game that you can miss and still win." :wink:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It would be nice if someone with deep pockets would sponsor two or three pro-level pool players in a career switch. Put them on salary with a room that had three snooker tables and bring coaches in from time to time. Train for several years and then split the winnings. I don't have the slightest doubt that this could be successful. I could not be convinced that the right top-level pool pros could not become top-level snooker players in three years if they completely stopped playing pool.

But would American pool fans cry foul if some of their best players switched? I think a lot would.

I have stated several times that if I were insanely rich then I would do exactly this as a social experiment.

I would take a player and essentially lock him in a training room with a top coach for a year and then see what he could do.

As an investment I don't think it's a good idea. The reason being that mid-level snooker players don't really do that great. I mean not bad but not really enough to split with a backer in my opinion. Although some probably do already. And the way I see it is that a pool pro who trained super hard would still have to face a field of players as good or better. They would have to really have something extra to be top ten.

Steve Davis was VERY CLEAR that he respected pool players and felt that if any top pool player had grown up playing snooker that they would have become a top snooker player and vice versa. He said this unequivocably in an interview.

Tim, pathetic shark's, speaking for all snooker players is just wrong. Lower level snooker players can of course have success at pool but they do not dominate against the very best pool players. Pool is an easier game but that doesn't mean snooker players are automatically better at pool. It means that they have the skill set to play the game. As do high level pool players.

Last edited:
It would be nice if someone with deep pockets would sponsor two or three pro-level pool players in a career switch. Put them on salary with a room that had three snooker tables and bring coaches in from time to time. Train for several years and then split the winnings. I don't have the slightest doubt that this could be successful. I could not be convinced that the right top-level pool pros could not become top-level snooker players in three years if they completely stopped playing pool.

But would American pool fans cry foul if some of their best players switched? I think a lot would.

You STILL don't get this. It's sweet in a way. Charming. I'm beginning to think the penny will never drop for you people. Billiards just ain't in your DNA.

Listen very carefully, I shall say 'zis only once. Anyone who is not a regular century maker by the time they are about 12 has absolutely no chance of ever making it as a pro snooker player. Anyone who can make a century by the time they are about 20 can make it as a pro pool player.

I have stated several times that if I were insanely rich then I would do exactly this as a social experiment.

Then you'd be insanely broke.

Answer me this - why has nobody from the poverty-stricken world of pool attempted this? Last week's prize was $160,000. This week's prize is closer to $250,000. It's decent dough.

Yet...nobody. And let's not forget, plenty of chinese lads have relocated to the UK in recent years to dedicate themselves to the game, top class coaching and all. None of these have really made the breakthrough yet.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Answer me this - why has nobody from the poverty-stricken world of pool attempted this? Last week's prize was $160,000. This week's prize is closer to $250,000. It's decent dough.

Yet...nobody. And let's not forget, plenty of chinese lads have relocated to the UK in recent years to dedicate themselves to the game, top class coaching and all. None of these have really made the breakthrough yet.

What part of social experiment did you not understand? If I were that wealthy or would be a drop in the bucket project.

What chinese lads? What are their names? Were any of them top professional pool players before starting their snooker journey?

Last edited:

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And let's not forget, plenty of chinese lads have relocated to the UK in recent years to dedicate themselves to the game, top class coaching and all. None of these have really made the breakthrough yet.

Obviously, you haven't been paying attention.
Ding Junhui won three consecutive ranking tournaments this year.
Last time that triple was accomplished was in 1993, by Stephen Hendry.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Obviously, you haven't been paying attention.
Ding Junhui won three consecutive ranking tournaments this year.
Last time that triple was accomplished was in 1990, by Stephen Hendry.

And I hadn't heard that Ding was training in England.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
In the 80's Knowles was more concerned with bedding a bevvy of buxom beauties than playing snooker or pool. I read it in the News of the World, so it must be true.

Seriously, though, I just don't get this. Anyone taking pride in pool players beating a snooker player in a casual game of pool needs to have a word with themselves. Corey Deuell losing at snooker to a Mongolian yak milker is a different matter entirely, and very telling.

wow, not just a Troll, a racist as well. You are really living up to your username.

Last edited:

MapleMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Svb makes a living off of pool. Why would he blow a good living to take up a game that you cannot master after your a teenager. You give pool players all kinds of shit for not playing snooker. Them they do and it's the end of the world for u. I don't root against euros and Asians winning American pool games. They add a new dimension. Baseball was America's past time; however the addition of Japanese and Hispanics has added to the game