Another Anniversary Rebuild

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jchown,
I called Mike at Charter Industries and ordered the same veneer as the guy did in the post you referenced. Because of the size of the pedestals, if I were to do it again, I would get some help. But all in all, it was straight forward. Steve

jchown

Registered
Well there it is. Finally done. Took a little longer than I thought it would but im extremely happy with how it turned out!
5wklz.jpg

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jchown,
Looks fantastic, congratulations on finishing it up. Now it's time to play and enjoy it. I finished mine up a few months back and absolutely love it. Great job, Steve

jchown

Registered
Jchown,
Looks fantastic, congratulations on finishing it up. Now it's time to play and enjoy it. I finished mine up a few months back and absolutely love it. Great job, Steve
Thanks! I need to touch up the white lines a bit still and do a last polish on the corners. Veneer on the legs turned out beautiful and i got the rails to match the aprons so im pretty happy with it. Been playing non stop!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
jchown,
I called Mike at Charter Industries and ordered the same veneer as the guy did in the post you referenced. Because of the size of the pedestals, if I were to do it again, I would get some help. But all in all, it was straight forward. Steve

It's clear you put some effort into the table, but was kind of wondering why you stopped short with repairing the sub rails before installing new cushions....that's kind of like buying new tires for your car, but had them mounted to the bent, rusty old wheels.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beautiful table, still one of the best ever made, rusty wheels and all! :thumbup:

jchown

Registered
It's clear you put some effort into the table, but was kind of wondering why you stopped short with repairing the sub rails before installing new cushions....that's kind of like buying new tires for your car, but had them mounted to the bent, rusty old wheels.
Whats the problem with the sub rails?

Outhole

Registered
Looks great jchown! Those are great tables! I finished mine about 2 months ago. I had Mark Gregory do the sub rails and Superspeeds, it plays lights out. Enjoy your table!

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
jchown - nice job on the table. Congrats, it looks great. I'm sure you'll have many hours of enjoyment playing on it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Whats the problem with the sub rails?

The ends of the sub rails are missing wood and shatter split and the cushions are dry rotted, and the pocket facings are in need of being replaced, but everyone just pays attention to the look of the table and not how it actually plays when they refinish one.

jchown

Registered
The ends of the sub rails are missing wood and shatter split and the cushions are dry rotted, and the pocket facings are in need of being replaced, but everyone just pays attention to the look of the table and not how it actually plays when they refinish one.

My bad, I should have put some more detail in my post. I had a local buy rebuild the rails and install new superspeed cushions. They play amazing.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My bad, I should have put some more detail in my post. I had a local buy rebuild the rails and install new superspeed cushions. They play amazing.

Ahhh, OK, didn't see that in the pictures. I always replace the fig 8 nut plates on the bottoms of the rails as well when I rebuild them as well, I'm sure your guy did that as well as cutting off the sub rails to replace the stapled out wood and fractured ends of the rails. Is Burlington located in WA. ?

jchown

Registered
Ahhh, OK, didn't see that in the pictures. I always replace the fig 8 nut plates on the bottoms of the rails as well when I rebuild them as well, I'm sure your guy did that as well as cutting off the sub rails to replace the stapled out wood and fractured ends of the rails. Is Burlington located in WA. ?
I didn't post any of the photos when i got them back. They are still the original nut plates- why would they need replacing, do they get stripped or something? Burlington is just outside of Toronto.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I didn't post any of the photos when i got them back. They are still the original nut plates- why would they need replacing, do they get stripped or something? Burlington is just outside of Toronto.

The fig 8 nut plates are a flaw in their design, that's why Brunswick got away from using them, all they are is a big washer held in place with wood screws that strip out all the time. No matter how tight you tighten the rail bolts, all you're doing is tightening down the nut plate, not the rails.most mechanic fix the stripped out screws but putting tooth picks in the screw holes, then reinstalling the wood screws. When you take the rails off the next time to change the cloth, look and see if you have any imprint of the figure 8 nut plates in the bed cloth under the rails, those are made because the fig 8 nut plate is pulled down the the cloth, otherwise it's recessed slightly into the bottom of the rails so as to not interfere with the rails sitting flat on the slate when mounted.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

I seen the thread titled " another anniversary rebuild " I'd think you named it like that because you had seen and read the other anniversary threads where the tables have been rebuilt.
In every thread RKC or someone writes about having the rails rebuilt by a professional and why the hardware and wood is replaced.

If you would of did your homework you would of realized that there is no straight across the table replacement cushions for the anniversary tables. The monarch profile is no longer in production so you would have to find a time-machine to get the proper replacement cushions for your table and do whoever installed the cushions for you realize they installed the wrong size cushion on the wrong rails....?

All - for the most part - pool tables play great when the cloth is fresh... All slide and no grip because friction is not taking place as much as broken-in cloth does so your claim of the table plays perfect is out the window because NO table with fresh cloth plays perfect so that tells me you don't know how the table should play in the first place with the proper cushions and hardware installed.

Not to sound like a dick but I'm writing the truth, but what you did is painted a turd.

Rob.M

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I seen the thread titled " another anniversary rebuild " I'd think you named it like that because you had seen and read the other anniversary threads where the tables have been rebuilt.
In every thread RKC or someone writes about having the rails rebuilt by a professional and why the hardware and wood is replaced.

If you would of did your homework you would of realized that there is no straight across the table replacement cushions for the anniversary tables. The monarch profile is no longer in production so you would have to find a time-machine to get the proper replacement cushions for your table and do whoever installed the cushions for you realize they installed the wrong size cushion on the wrong rails....?

All - for the most part - pool tables play great when the cloth is fresh... All slide and no grip because friction is not taking place as much as broken-in cloth does so your claim of the table plays perfect is out the window because NO table with fresh cloth plays perfect so that tells me you don't know how the table should play in the first place with the proper cushions and hardware installed.

Not to sound like a dick but I'm writing the truth, but what you did is painted a turd.

Rob.M
He said it plays amazing now.
It should bank long when the cloth is new and balls clean .
The true test, as you alluded to, is when the cloth wears out.
I've had my tGC2 re-subrailed twice. It plays ok now but does bank short.
I'm not too sure if I had the Monarch cushions replaced with Superspeed without rail modifications ( except extend the sub-rails to tighten the pockets ) would have been worse than it is now . Sure, I'd lose some playing surface but I'm not sure it would bank worse.

jchown

Registered
The fig 8 nut plates are a flaw in their design, that's why Brunswick got away from using them, all they are is a big washer held in place with wood screws that strip out all the time. No matter how tight you tighten the rail bolts, all you're doing is tightening down the nut plate, not the rails.most mechanic fix the stripped out screws but putting tooth picks in the screw holes, then reinstalling the wood screws. When you take the rails off the next time to change the cloth, look and see if you have any imprint of the figure 8 nut plates in the bed cloth under the rails, those are made because the fig 8 nut plate is pulled down the the cloth, otherwise it's recessed slightly into the bottom of the rails so as to not interfere with the rails sitting flat on the slate when mounted.
Thanks for the tip, i will do that.

jchown

Registered

Rob.M
I don't know what to tell you bud. I sent the rails out and had them rebuilt and cushions installed. The mechanic then came to my house and set the table up and installed new cloth. I don't know if i mentioned this but this isn't my life's work or anything. I just really like the looks of the table. And for a turd I think it plays really well. That may change down the road, and if it does ill pay someone else to make it play better. I just painted the turd.