Video walk through of installing Simonis on a 7' Diamond

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Hello there,
I have been working on tables for quite a while now, and am proud to show this off. I know this is not the way everyone does it, and may not be the "right" way for you, but maybe it can help some people out or at least entertain you for a few minutes.

Rail Cloth Install

Bed Cloth Install

I have not been on AZ in quite a while and figured some of you might get some helpful tips from these videos, anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing! I watched both videos and it was fun to watch. I especially liked the way you edited it, showing full speed the first and/or second time of a repetitive task, and then fast forwarding the rest of the repetitions.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that, I'll probably watch it a few more times as I'm gonna try and recloth my table myself.

What's your opinion of RKC's glue? Is it significantly better than other stuff on the market?

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Thanks for posting that, I'll probably watch it a few more times as I'm gonna try and recloth my table myself.

What's your opinion of RKC's glue? Is it significantly better than other stuff on the market?

I like the new glue a lot. It seems to go farther than the 3M I have been using. That really wont matter to most people, but when you do many tables a year, getting a few extra per gallon adds up.
I was able to to get 18 - 9' tables and 4 - 7' tables out of a gallon and could have probably gotten 2 more 7' done.
The glue is a bit thinner so you have to be careful rolling it out not to get any soak through, but with the blue color it helps hide little accidents.
The smell is noticeably less offensive than the 3M and Parabond.

What I really like about the glue is that someone in our industry is making money off the glue instead of a huge company like 3M.

If you have any questions about the videos or when you are getting your table done feel free to ask away.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice vidieos!! What were the blocks/shims for you placed under the rails after you flipped them over to work on the underside?

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Nice vidieos!! What were the blocks/shims for you placed under the rails after you flipped them over to work on the underside?

The little blocks are just spacers to keep the rail cloth up off the 4x6 blocks so the cloth doesn't get pinched in there when stretching the rail cloth and stapling it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello there,
I have been working on tables for quite a while now, and am proud to show this off. I know this is not the way everyone does it, and may not be the "right" way for you, but maybe it can help some people out or at least entertain you for a few minutes.

Rail Cloth Install

Bed Cloth Install

I have not been on AZ in quite a while and figured some of you might get some helpful tips from these videos, anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask away.
Ernesto Dominguez does it virtually the same way - keeping the rail system together and flipping it over to finish installing the rail cloths on the underside, which clearly saves a lot of time as opposed to taking the entire rail system apart. Some installers who post on here do not recommend doing that, and I'd like to know the reasons why, if they happen to read this post - thanks.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
hello there,
i have been working on tables for quite a while now, and am proud to show this off. I know this is not the way everyone does it, and may not be the "right" way for you, but maybe it can help some people out or at least entertain you for a few minutes.

rail cloth install

bed cloth install

i have not been on az in quite a while and figured some of you might get some helpful tips from these videos, anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask away.

great job zach!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ernesto Dominguez does it virtually the same way - keeping the rail system together and flipping it over to finish installing the rail cloths on the underside, which clearly saves a lot of time as opposed to taking the entire rail system apart. Some installers who post on here do not recommend doing that, and I'd like to know the reasons why, if they happen to read this post - thanks.

I don't know who takes apart the Diamond rails to recloth them, but I do disassemble GC rails before I recover them, how else are you going to fix the casting mounts, as most installers skip that process, including Ernesto.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who takes apart the Diamond rails to recloth them, but I do disassemble GC rails before I recover them, how else are you going to fix the casting mounts, as most installers skip that process, including Ernesto.
So fixing the casting mounts is what you can't do when you don't disassemble the rails to recover them. Can you explain to us who are not installers exactly what that means and how that affects how the table is set up and plays? Thanks

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh yeah! nicely done, great stuff,
just as interesting was the video itself, overlaying the text, information very helpful

we're those go-pro's? ...one camera looked like that ZoomQn2.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So fixing the casting mounts is what you can't do when you don't disassemble the rails to recover them. Can you explain to us who are not installers exactly what that means and how that affects how the table is set up and plays? Thanks

Are you kidding me? How many times have you seen GC castings sticking up at least a 1/4" above the rails, and have big gaps between the castings and the ends of the rails? Or better yet, how about the castings that you can just rattle up and down because the mounting brackets are pulled out, or the ears on the casting have been broken off? How about the repair of the broken off rail bolts, like fixing them, instead of drilling a hole through the slate so you can mount the rail with leg bolts screwed right into the wood of the rail to bolt it down. You seriously mistake the speed of recovering GC's as quality work, if they're NOT taken apart, NOTHING gets fixed! The difference is a mechanic fixes everything that can be fixed, an installer is more worried about getting the job done and getting paid so they can leave!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

How many GC pockets do you have nailed in vs screwed in to mount them? There's the difference between an installer vs a mechanic!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Do the pocket castings on your GC's look like the ones here on this GC1, or are they sticking up above the rails in every pocket? Post a picture of yours.

Attachments

• received_1229320730456583_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320730456583_1024x1024.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 570
  • received_1229320780456578_1024x1024.jpeg
    received_1229320780456578_1024x1024.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 560

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's an example of an installers work that don't believe in taking the rails apart either.

Attachments

• 20170705_083932_1024x1024.jpg
    20170705_083932_1024x1024.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 20170705_083917_1024x1024.jpg
    20170705_083917_1024x1024.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 565
  • 20170705_083907_1024x1024.jpg
    20170705_083907_1024x1024.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 545