Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, because the cueball would be really jumping up due to a miscue. It was just in interesting shot and I posted it mainly because I always though you did need to strike the cueball above the equator in a jump. After reading the rules again, none of them say that, but you wold need to hit the ball with a downward motion of the cue or you can't drive it into the slate for a legal jump. There is confusion about striking the ball into the slate and "must be hit from above", those are not the same thing.

ok. sometimes i jump over the corner of a ball that way with full length cue. quite common

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched this vid from 1988 that someone posted with Rempe & LJJ...here is the section about jumping the ball and where contact has to be made for a legal shot. Maybe it was just an older rule/viewpoint from jumping back in those days?

https://youtu.be/4kpLvCVPLhU?t=2245

That did not look at all like scooping. For a scoop shot the tip has to raise the cueball up off the slate directly, at least in every logical view of the shot I can think of. In that shot example that is not what happened. Also I find that some of those instructional videos get the rules wrong, or rules were changed since it came out. From all the wording in the rules, as long as the shot drives the cueball down into the slate, then it jumps, it's a legal jump shot barring any double-hits. I guess if you hit it really low on the ball, like a tip from the bottom, you would hit the slate with the tip and then push the cueball up from bottom to the air.

It would make things a lot easier if they worded the rule either as "must hit above the equator" or "the cueball cannot be raised from bellow it up into the air, it has to be stuck downward into the slate to jump."

At best if you shoot a shot like that it may be a double hit contact with the ferrule or shaft not an illegal jump.

Even now really the only issue is people being stubbornly dense and not reading what the rule meant to explain.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TTruth be told. No

You can not hit the bottom of an arch with a downward strike. Physically imposable with one hit. Limits approaches nothing like that,what dat is? You can only hit down on the top half of the rock. Ever. When the tip hits the lower halve of the cue the strike can only contact at best level. Unless you bend your shaft to get a grip for super duper draw of course! His contact not stroke causes lift. It is a pinch. The cue rides up his tip before going forewarnd. It would have to. And that is why physics and pool do not mix. No matter how many times I explain it much like atomic weight is either a known understood fact or it is babble. This applies to the jump shot. Not shots in normal play that are not jump shots of course.
Nick :)

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
You can not hit the bottom of an arch with a downward strike. Physically imposable with one hit. Limits approaches nothing like that,what dat is? You can only hit down on the top half of the rock. Ever. When the tip hits the lower halve of the cue the strike can only contact at best level. Unless you bend your shaft to get a grip for super duper draw of course! His contact not stroke causes lift. It is a pinch. The cue rides up his tip before going forewarnd. It would have to. And that is why physics and pool do not mix. No matter how many times I explain it much like atomic weight is either a known understood fact or it is babble. This applies to the jump shot. Not shots in normal play that are not jump shots of course.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say here. If you’re saying that Alex the lion made a nice shallow jump with draw in a legal manner then I heap praise on you, give you greens, an honorary membership into the 800+ Fargo club and wish you happy holidays and merry Christmas.

If you’re saying it was a bad shot and that you can’t hit downward below the equator then I must question your sanity, pool skill, gumption, lineage, manhood, IQ, street smarts, physical appearance, gender identity, and skill upon the juggling field.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta wonder about him sometimes, eh?

So wrong, but so full of conviction. Strange combo.

I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say here. If you’re saying that Alex the lion made a nice shallow jump with draw in a legal manner then I heap praise on you, give you greens, an honorary membership into the 800+ Fargo club and wish you happy holidays and merry Christmas.

If you’re saying it was a bad shot and that you can’t hit downward below the equator then I must question your sanity, pool skill, gumption, lineage, manhood, IQ, street smarts, physical appearance, gender identity, and skill upon the juggling field.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hold up, you’re taking my type of attitude towards physics. But you do not understand a thing you wrote. First off, a cue ball is considered a curve. A complete curve, meaning circle. Not arch. An arch can have many different radius’s during its span. An arch never connects back to its starting position, a curve will. Plus an arch is typicically an inside description, and we hit the outside of a cue ball. Outside, where a curve is.

A jumping/rebounding action occurs when there’s about a 15* angle into the cue or object balls. Or to visually think about it, look at the overlap in angle reflection of the cue and the cue ball. The more they overlap, the higher the cue ball jumps. Wish I could draw this but I can’t. Anyone able to for me?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I’m sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball... ...thicker cloth.
Dennis Taylor likes to jump a ball out of a triangle in exhibitions.

Here’s Dennis...you’ll notice at 14.00 how easily he jumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

Listen to the whole show...Dennis is a talented showman...he’s funny

Thanks for the link, Dennis is a great entertainer. I do miss living there, but not the prices. Normally I find trick shots too full of props to be entertaining but he did well with just the triangle.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Thanks for the link, Dennis is a great entertainer. I do miss living there, but not the prices. Normally I find trick shots too full of props to be entertaining but he did well with just the triangle.

Early 80s, Alex Higgins was at his height of popularity....he was late for his match..
...crowd was getting restless....Dennis grabbed the mic off the MC....
...he apologized for Alex being late....he said that Alex had to do a boat launching that
morning....but they were having trouble getting him to let go of the bottle....

The crowd was still laughing as Alex showed up

Dennis could’ve made it in the entertainment field....but he had a stroke...........
...the kind that pots balls

MalibuMike

Banned
No wonder Alex P uses a Bulletproof Break/Jump Tip!

These things are insane!!!!!!!!!!
Alex will be playing Sky Woodward using a Bulletproof Break Tip and my money was on Alex, but now Sky is using Bullet Proof Break Tips too!
Better than Toam, Icebreaker, or any of these Phenolic Tips and more control than a hard leather Samsara!
Bulletproofbreaktips.com

https://youtu.be/9ymPT7K8efU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264428053281

Attachments

• bbpp.jpg
    bbpp.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 84

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early 80s, Alex Higgins was at his height of popularity....he was late for his match..
...crowd was getting restless....Dennis grabbed the mic off the MC....
...he apologized for Alex being late....he said that Alex had to do a boat launching that
morning....but they were having trouble getting him to let go of the bottle....

The crowd was still laughing as Alex showed up

Dennis could’ve made it in the entertainment field....but he had a stroke...........
...the kind that pots balls

those two didn't always get along and alex once threatened him with loyalist violence (dennis is catholic). alex was banned for that iirc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
those two didn't always get along and alex once threatened him with loyalist violence (dennis is catholic). alex was banned for that iirc

Alex also had eyes for Dennis’ sister growing up....both from Belfast area.
...so I doubt Alex threatened any fiercer than Dennis already...
...Dennis spoke about it once over a drink...only time I seen him look like a warrior.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was my understanding as well. I've also seen Efren make that shot in LA in the early 2000s during a quick exhibition.

Speaking of Efren I watched an accustats video of Efren playing Archer in the 2010 fatboy 10 ball challenge. Efren had a shot on the 1 ball in the side after the break. 4 ball was next to the 1 ball blocking the path to the 2. Efren shot the 1 in the side and jumped the cue ball over the 4 to get shape on the 2.

Takes a creative mind like Efren to see that shot.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Definitely not a new shot. Keith McCready had this shot in his arsenal in the 70’s and 80’s. I seen him use it with the big cueball many times.