Silver Member
Here is the way i found to shoot my best,

often my mind strays,or gets clouded with doubt or fear of missing

Don't run !this has no pop pstchology positive talk nonsense

Here is what I find really helps me

1 I get a good look at where the object ball must go to get in the holefrom
a few seteps back

2 I make up my mind exactly where I want the cue ball to hit the object ball

3 I approach the shot with all of that decided, before i bend over bend over to shoot

4 here is the thing that I find really helps,i imagine that the object ball only needs to get started
in the right direction,so I watch the shot to see if I missed it or got it started right,I try to see the
very start of the object ball going right. I am happy to make 3 inch shots even if they must roll
another 6feet to the pocket. in my mind I am happy and have the confidence of shooting 3 inch shots

So in my mind each shot is good if I do the one thing

If I feel funny over the ball,I get up and back off and start over. For big money I get up,but for fun I get sloppy.

Never try to twist your body to get in line,it seldom works for me

One thing becomes automatic,I stay down stroking with confidence because all of this is easy, and I stay down
all the way through because I am not through shooting till I see the object ball rolling

I do not cloud my mind with instructions like stay down,don't jump up, follow through or anything else.
I see the shot,approach,bend over,hit the shot right away and make sure to see the cue ball hit the object ball

all quicker than it took to read what i just said

to me this is all I do when the pressure is on, these basics are easy and I don't cloud my mind with too many thoughtd

People tell me that I seem to shoot better for more money

To tell the truth betting high and playing in front of the croud scares me,so i reduce the game to these basics
See the shot,bend over with the aiming done,hit the ball and see the object ball move the first few inches

Before long there is nothing to worry about,my main enemy becomes carelessness

Now I am not claiming to shoot good or have any natural ability,but these basics help me shoot my best,which is often better than I thought it was

If this helps you shoot better and win money,please send me part of the profits.if you lose forget my advice

Dean

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time is all i have

I spend too much time at home,you are right
the forum is kinda dull so I thought I would have some fun

you guys think these tips are silly,say so

i don't know much about the game so
don't expect any more

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...Too bad it's mostly BS information on the "instruction" part...especially the "bend over and shoot" part. :eek:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Collector, dealer and now sage instructor. Just where do you find the time?? ;)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of wisdom in this advice- keep it ALL very simple- SIMPLE starts with, as Dean says, "sight" every shot while standing, get the line of the shot and decide, ( also decide on the stroke you will use and the speed of that stroke you desire for this shot) then just get down, a warm up stroke or two, and pull the trigger while COMPLETELY focused on that OB spot- then just repeat this process over and over again.

I play my very best with the approach as well. it is my best method to stay in that ZONE! You don't think about making or missing this shot, the last shot, the next shot, or the match, the money, the tournament, the crowd, or anything else - just moving the object ball as planned while you were standing- THAT's IT! I think most of the very best in all sports approach their execution this way, many of them don't know how to verbalize what they do; a lot of people who are lesson givers and not champions like to make this all much more complicated to fill their wallets.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a lot of wisdom in this advice- keep it ALL very simple- SIMPLE starts with, as Dean says, "sight" every shot while standing, get the line of the shot and decide, ( also decide on the stroke you will use and the speed of that stroke you desire for this shot) then just get down, a warm up stroke or two, and pull the trigger while COMPLETELY focused on that OB spot- then just repeat this process over and over again.

I play my very best with the approach as well. it is my best method to stay in that ZONE! You don't think about making or missing this shot, the last shot, the next shot, or the match, the money, the tournament, the crowd, or anything else - just moving the object ball as planned while you were standing- THAT's IT! I think most of the very best in all sports approach their execution this way, many of them don't know how to verbalize what they do; a lot of people who are lesson givers and not champions like to make this all much more complicated to fill their wallets.
Kinda agree but of course all the Joe Instructors will chime in and pick it apart. I think everyone on here knows where deano's coming from. Maybe not.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Some good stuff but there is a very important gem in there. Don’t twist yourself into line once your down on the shot. Even if it’s just a small amount and even if you’re playing a tomato can.

Even if you consciously tell yourself it’s not good to do, if you do it and are successful in making your shot, that is being stored in your back brain as something that works.

I’ve been fighting this for a while now. I will get down and be just slightly off and I’ll find myself leaning and twisting to get in position and if I’m playing someone I don’t wanna come off as indecisive so I’ll tell myself “I’ve got this” but by then it’s too late. Or I’ll be lazy and just adjust for being out of line by throwing some English on the ball to make up for it. A bad habit to get into

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Time is all i have

I spend too much time at home,you are right
the forum is kinda dull so I thought I would have some fun

you guys think these tips are silly,say so

i don't know much about the game so
don't expect any more

Not silly at all. I read it as an expansion/explanation of "stay down, don't jump up."

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not silly at all. I read it as an expansion/explanation of "stay down, don't jump up."

Yep- this is the best way to "stay down and don't jump up". There is NOTHING you can TELL yourself to stay down in pool or golf - you have to have a METHOD of shot approach that KEEPS you down because that's the only thing that really works consistently.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep It Simple without Stupid-ity. Anything that you add to the required shot function is only adding the possibility of error to the shot functions. You can observe the shot from any elevation, but the shot must be visually attained and finalized at the actual shot height from which you intend to complete the shot.

Yep- final object ball contact point is found and locked in while down - the last adjustment to what you saw when standing.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott ,I hear rgood things about how you help people
i know i don't really know anything technical

i am just mentioning the things that i do that
i thought might be helpful

without formal instruction,i may not be using the proper terminology with bend over,

I don't know how to describe the move i make once my feet or settled and i am standing up seeing the shot to when i get into the stroking posituion,that is what i call bending over

don't be upset with me.you will probably get a lot of business when people realize how little guys like us know

my big problems come from not following my own proceedures,shooting when i am not locked in or indecisive

of course this may explain why i don't play so good

if you guys really want to get good ,Randy aand Scott might be helpful

i never had formal instruction,i just figured this out and it worked for me
as far as it went

best wishes fellas
i did not mean to step into another man's business

dean

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here is the way i found to shoot my best,

often my mind strays,or gets clouded with doubt or fear of missing

Don't run !this has no pop pstchology positive talk nonsense

Here is what I find really helps me

1 I get a good look at where the object ball must go to get in the holefrom
a few seteps back

2 I make up my mind exactly where I want the cue ball to hit the object ball

3 I approach the shot with all of that decided, before i bend over bend over to shoot

4 here is the thing that I find really helps,i imagine that the object ball only needs to get started
in the right direction,so I watch the shot to see if I missed it or got it started right,I try to see the
very start of the object ball going right. I am happy to make 3 inch shots even if they must roll
another 6feet to the pocket. in my mind I am happy and have the confidence of shooting 3 inch shots

So in my mind each shot is good if I do the one thing

If I feel funny over the ball,I get up and back off and start over. For big money I get up,but for fun I get sloppy.

Never try to twist your body to get in line,it seldom works for me

One thing becomes automatic,I stay down stroking with confidence because all of this is easy, and I stay down
all the way through because I am not through shooting till I see the object ball rolling

I do not cloud my mind with instructions like stay down,don't jump up, follow through or anything else.
I see the shot,approach,bend over,hit the shot right away and make sure to see the cue ball hit the object ball

all quicker than it took to read what i just said

to me this is all I do when the pressure is on, these basics are easy and I don't cloud my mind with too many thoughtd

People tell me that I seem to shoot better for more money

To tell the truth betting high and playing in front of the croud scares me,so i reduce the game to these basics
See the shot,bend over with the aiming done,hit the ball and see the object ball move the first few inches

Before long there is nothing to worry about,my main enemy becomes carelessness

Now I am not claiming to shoot good or have any natural ability,but these basics help me shoot my best,which is often better than I thought it was

If this helps you shoot better and win money,please send me part of the profits.if you lose forget my advice

Dean

I’ve heard APA 5s give excellent advice to APA 2s...nothing wrong with talking about the
game....I had an exboxer that I gave 75 points to at snooker make me a better rest player.

Knowledge is like gold...it’s where you find it.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was 32 before I picked up a pool cue to shoot with any purpose. I was in the military at the time and my house mate was the Billiards Air Force Champion at the time. He said that if I wanted to hang out with him I would have to learn how to shoot pool. After forking over many dollar bills and beers I learned enough to hold my own in most bars or pool halls.

He left me with this advice when I started out..."Shoot easy, good things always happen when you shoot easy" and "It's Ok to miss" (meaning missing on purpose on a shoot instead of trying to run a difficult rack so that you may have another opportunity to get back on the table).

I still follow this advice to this day and it has always served me well.

Later on I learned the value of staying down on each shot even after I execute it

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Match Big Match

This could be bigger than Lou and John. It might even inspire me to write another
song.
jack

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i didn't realize Scott ut his credential etc in my thread
it has come to my attention he was being critical instead of friendly

if i had known that I would have agreed to play a $1000 set of pool
just to make sure that he really knew what hewas talking acout being the instructor of the year

I guess i owe it to him to let him display his superior technique

in a gentlemans game with Marquis de Queensbury ettiquitte etc

It won't be like gambling since i have an offer from a stakehorse

we could video the game for all to enjoy

"Old 76 rteiree vs pool instructor of the year"

sounds like fun,we can play on my table with 5 inch pockets

Oh yes,if I beat the instructor of the year will this allow me to give another tip or two
without fear of reprisals?

OMY.

I'm down for watching this.

Scotty, Scotty, come out, come out, wherever you are.

Dean wants to play.