The pool world lost a player - I lost a friend.

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear AZB Family,

On January 12, 2020 - my friend and fellow pool player David Martinez passed away.

He wasn't a pro player or a road player - he was a family man, a retired Houston Police Officer (32 years of service) and a man who simply loved to play the game - tournaments, league or just playing to play. More than that - he was a good man, a man of integrity and principle who's word was his bond and always had a kind word and smile on his face for everyone.

The reason that I'm writing this is that yesterday I had the privilege of attending his memorial service and while it was a truly sad day for his family and all who knew him, there were some things said about the way that he lived his life that struck a chord with me.

I wanted to a share a few of them with you, the AZ Billiards community as I felt that they were important and meaningful on a lot of levels:

- Say what you mean - especially to your loved ones and don't miss an opportunity to tell them that you love them and what they mean to you.

- Be kind and do the right things even when no one is watching.

- Honor your word - do what you say you're going to do and be a man that others can count on.

- Smile and be positive. Ask about others even when you yourself are hurting.

David wasn't perfect, but after learning more about him, I realize he was a better man than me. I hope to learn from the lessons he left behind and honor my friend's memory by doing so. Perhaps we all can try to do the same.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear AZB Family,

On January 12, 2020 - my friend and fellow pool player David Martinez passed away.

He wasn't a pro player or a road player - he was a family man, a retired Houston Police Officer (32 years of service) and a man who simply loved to play the game - tournaments, league or just playing to play. More than that - he was a good man, a man of integrity and principle who's word was his bond and always had a kind word and smile on his face for everyone.

The reason that I'm writing this is that yesterday I had the privilege of attending his memorial service and while it was a truly sad day for his family and all who knew him, there were some things said about the way that he lived his life that struck a chord with me.

I wanted to a share a few of them with you, the AZ Billiards community as I felt that they were important and meaningful on a lot of levels:

- Say what you mean - especially to your loved ones and don't miss an opportunity to tell them that you love them and what they mean to you.

- Honor your word - do what you say you're going to do and be a man that others can count on.

David wasn't perfect, but after learning more about him, I realize he was a better man than me. I hope to learn from the lessons he left behind and honor my friend's memory by doing so. Perhaps we all can try to do the same.

My prayers go out to you and Mr. Martinez's family.

God speed Mr. Martinez and may all of your loved ones find the peace that you would have them to know sir.

Jeff

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I hope it wasnt the david who was a retired policeman i knew
I played opposite league and tournaments with him throughout last yr

Dammnit i asked walter and he said it was the same david

A GREAT person to know
Rip brother

Last edited:

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it wasnt the david who was a retired policeman i knew
I played opposite league and tournaments with him throughout last yr

Dammnit i asked walter and he said it was the same david

A GREAT person to know
Rip brother

It was unfortunately. We're going to host a benefit tournament at Big Tyme for his family in the next few weeks - I'll make sure that I send you the details on it directly.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry to hear. Condolences to you and his family.

The world is always diminished by the loss of even a single decent and honorable person, but their influence invariably outlives them.

Thanks for sharing with us the high standards of a man whose value system is one to which we can all aspire.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dear AZB Family,

My condolences on the loss of your friend.
j2

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing a friend, family member or anyone you truly love is really mournful.
Even losing a pet can seemingly become devastatingly hard to deal with.
But true friends......those are hard to acquire in life so the loss leaves a hole.
I hope that folks that knew David Martinez will focus on celebrating his life.
The loss is personal to those individuals & so I hope their grief diminishes soon.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is great to hear positives related to pool when the sport has had so many negatives. When life and pool merge in the right directions, it helps all of us appreciate more those who have added in positive manner to this great game and to life itself. Sorry for your loss.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The benefit for david Martinez

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-28-19-12-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-28-19-12-02.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 454

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You do not post often, David, so it is sad to hear of your friend's passing.

Just as you will cherish memories of your liesure time together, many will never forget the lifetime of service, dedication and bravery he provided.

My condolences, brother.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dear AZB Family,

Sounds like he left his mark, in a good way. Men like David are the true hero's in life. Thanks for telling us about him and sharing positive thoughts.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Dear AZB Family,

a very nice tribute , Sir.

Thank you for sharing this and sorry for the loss of your good friend.

RIP David Martinez.

best,
brian kc