Jackpot Cues

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is a very valid point, imo. The manner in which Dean sells is inconsiderate to all azb members and especially to those members who also sell here and who follow the rules.

As I stated earlier, the outlandish claims of women fainting, other player's jealousy, rattlesnakes jumping out of your path, etc, etc, etc, are his shtick, just like posting no pictures. While I'm not a fan of those selling methods, it's certainly his right and he seems to have made it work for him so no harm, no foul here.

But, the outright deception over who made the Jackpot cues and the incessant spamming and rule breaking on volume of posts and which forums they were posted in is not okay, not even a little bit. Anyone who takes the position that if you don't like it, just move on, isn't taking into account that not only is it so pervasive that it is difficult to avoid but beyond that, if you happen to be selling yourself, your items are being pushed down the page by the volume of all his posts.

Frankly, I'm shaking my head over there being so many of you who are cool with this behavior. Do you really like being lied to and spammed? :confused: :rolleyes:

Arguments like 'everybody knows doing business with Dean is a gamble' and 'why so much drama, it's only $500' leave me dumbfounded. To those I say:

Mystery Cue: Is a gamble, everyone know it going in

Cue Described as Being Made By A Specific Maker: Should not be a gamble

If $500 is no big deal; can I hold 5 hundos? :grin:
And I again don’t understand your points. It’s not like Dean is an an unknown. Everyone knows who he is! I’ve never heard one person on here get screwed over. His posts are humorous. Women fall at my feet because of my cue? People can’t seriously point to that as one of the reasons they feel scammed? And are Jack Potter cues desirable to everyone complaining? I had never thought for one second his name was commanding anything. I don't think one buyer had Jack as a must-have.

I’ll just agree to not understand the anger. Not one point has made any sense to me.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
And I again don’t understand your points. It’s not like Dean is an an unknown. Everyone knows who he is! I’ve never heard one person on here get screwed over. His posts are humorous. Women fall at my feet because of my cue? People can’t seriously point to that as one of the reasons they feel scammed? And are Jack Potter cues desirable to everyone complaining? I had never thought for one second his name was commanding anything. I don't think one buyer had Jack as a must-have.

I’ll just agree to not understand the anger. Not one point has made any sense to me.

Fred;

*Everyone* does not know Dean, many do.

For the 3rd time, the "women will faint" marketing while not my cup of tea, is perfectly fine with me. Real simple, if we don't like them don't read them. No need to keep pointing to those ads because they aren't the topic of this thread.

Whether or not Jack Potter represents a desirable cue brand or not also isn't the point. What is the main point and is quite simple if you'll open your mind up to it is that unequivocally Dean stated in a number of threads that "Jack is making" the batches of Jackpot cues. If you do a simple search of "Jackpot" you will see examples of it.

If you're okay with this then all I can say is we are wired differently.

And the incessant spamming & rule breaking, were you good with that, too?

best,
brian kc

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Jack at Brian's is playing strong.

Attachments

• 20200126_072859.jpg
    20200126_072859.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 264

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the incessant spamming & rule breaking, were you good with that, too?

Odd how the folks defending Dean just glaze over that part or won't respond, I mentioned it three times, not a peep, seen others mention it too, silence.

But if someone doesn't care if they were told X made the cue when Y made the cue, of course they aren't going to mind seeing dozens of threads created for the same item spammed across the forum, on top of spamming random threads.

Going to take note of those not bothered by any of this, and I'll be back with a limited edition run of Schmelke logoless draw cues, I'm going to call them crackpots...

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Tommy was real happy with his Sly, until Ideologist posted screenshots from Sly showing Harris had in fact built his cue. Don't think he is trying to be big brother, just likes exposing bullshit.

Ideologist. The guy who sold me shaft wood he didn't possess. Said he couldn't figure out how to ship it and is now an expert on shipping cue lathes. Returned the money a month or so later when he found out he couldn't actually get the wood he sold me.

Yup, just can't wait for more of his flaky self righteous bullshit.

Sorry Dean I know I promised but I can't take any more of this.

Let it go already you bunch of vultures.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ideologist. The guy who sold me shaft wood he didn't possess. Said he couldn't figure out how to ship it and is now an expert on shipping cue lathes. Returned the money a month or so later when he found out he couldn't actually get the wood he sold me.

Yup, just can't wait for more of his flaky self righteous bullshit.

Sorry Dean I know I promised but I can't take any more of this.

Let it go already you bunch of vultures.

So you fault Ideologist for representing himself as having something he didn't have, but are not bothered by Dean representing a cue is made by X, when Y made it, sounds legit

So just curious, when you post up pics of cues you have made, why don't you make dozens of threads and spread them all across the boards?

Reactions: JC

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Twenty four pages of this Jackpot B/S with no answer. On top of this missing Tasc story. Am I to believe this is not a continuation of a sympathy sales scam? No I don't know Dean. But this is not a good way to learn.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Just looked at the last 5 posts

Don’t you guys realize the country is divided over guns, abortion and penny loafers all the while an impeachment trial is taking place in the Senate.

If Jack Potter designed the cues and spec’d them out then to me it is legit as calling it a Jack Potter cue, more so if he ever once built a cue like these.

But I guess I will stay out of it since it appears the country is now divided over a salesman offering a product that has value. Still waiting for Dean’s $500 Gina’s.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have a dog in this fight one way or the other. First let me say that when I read the sale ads I to was under the impression that Jack was making the cues. If I had bought one and found out that he wasn’t the one who made them I would probably feel I was deceived. Also Dean might have gone a little overboard with the threads advertising the cues.

On the other hand Dean said he has talked to each buyer and gave them the option to get a full refund if they didn’t like their cue. So if the buyer felt deceived and didn’t want the cue for that reason they could simply return it and get their money back.

When someone makes a mistake (Dean in this case) all you can do is ask them to make it right. Dean did that with the money back option. Also making multiple threads about the cues might be excessive but it any worse than the people that post smart ass remarks when someone asks a simple question in a thread I think some of this shouldn’t be permitted either but that’s just my opinion .

Bottom line we are all human and have different ideas and opinions. All of us make mistakes and all we can do is apologize, learn from it and move on.

I don’t buy cues because I have playing cue that I’m happy with and won’t ever part with. I do however love to look at them in the for sale section and the cue and case gallery. Maybe I should be barred from the for sale section since I never buy anything.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have a dog in this fight one way or the other. First let me say that when I read the sale ads I to was under the impression that Jack was making the cues. If I had bought one and found out that he wasn’t the one who made them I would probably feel I was deceived. Also Dean might have gone a little overboard with the threads advertising the cues.

On the other hand Dean said he has talked to each buyer and gave them the option to get a full refund if they didn’t like their cue. So if the buyer felt deceived and didn’t want the cue for that reason they could simply return it and get their money back.

When someone makes a mistake (Dean in this case) all you can do is ask them to make it right. Dean did that with the money back option. Also making multiple threads about the cues might be excessive but it any worse than the people that post smart ass remarks when someone asks a simple question in a thread I think some of this shouldn’t be permitted either but that’s just my opinion .

Bottom line we are all human and have different ideas and opinions. All of us make mistakes and all we can do is apologize, learn from it and move on.

I don’t buy cues because I have playing cue that I’m happy with and won’t ever part with. I do however love to look at them in the for sale section and the cue and case gallery. Maybe I should be barred from the for sale section since I never buy anything.

This is a reasonable view, but needs completion.

First, yes, if you make a mistake (and I’m willing to consider this a mistake rather than something worse, despite Dean’s attacking his critics), all you can do is make it right. But here, making it right should include his apologizing to not only those who purchased the cues, but also to those whom he solicited - the members of this forum, who make up a community. Along with that apology he should tell us who made the cues; or, if he promised the maker that he would keep the maker’s name secret (again, a very, very odd thing), he should explain why.

Second, this thread has become about more than just Dean and the Jackpot cues. It has become a thread about what constitutes fairness in marketing. A lot of the posts, rightly, have been critical of those who have said, in as many words, that there’s nothing wrong with misleading marketing as long as no one gets hurt. Honestly, that is more disturbing to me than the behavior of one individual (Dean).

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Don’t you guys realize the country is divided over guns, abortion and penny loafers all the while an impeachment trial is taking place in the Senate.

If Jack Potter designed the cues and spec’d them out then to me it is legit as calling it a Jack Potter cue, more so if he ever once built a cue like these.

But I guess I will stay out of it since it appears the country is now divided over a salesman offering a product that has value. Still waiting for Dean’s $500 Gina’s.

If Barry Szamboti gave the specs to leon sly and he built the cues would they be considered Szamboti's?

There is nothing "legit" about any of this, and absolutely no way to justify it. It wouldn't matter if Barry had made 100 cues like the "spec'd" ones, it is 100% FRAUD.

Btw, I like 99% of Dean's posts, does he break the rules? Sure, but without Dean posting there's not much going on.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a reasonable view, but needs completion.

First, yes, if you make a mistake (and I’m willing to consider this a mistake rather than something worse, despite Dean’s attacks of his critics), yes, all you can do is make it right. But here, making it right should include his telling not only those who purchased the cues, but also those whom he solicited - the members of this forum, who make up a community - that he apologizes to them. Along with that apology he should tell us who made the cues; or, if he promised the maker that he would keep the maker’s name secret (again, a very, very odd thing), he should explain why.

Second, this thread has become about more than just Dean and the Jackpot cues. It has become a thread about what constitutes fairness in marketing. A lot of the posts, rightly, have been critical of those who have said, in as many words, that there’s nothing wrong with misleading marketing as long as no one gets hurt. Honestly, that is more disturbing to me than the behavior of one individual (Dean).

I agree I think that was the mistake Dean made was that the for sale threads were misleading. If done intentionally it is not ok no matter who you are. IMO I don’t think Dean did that intentionally but that’s just me. It’s entirely different matter when someone does it to sell an item or just plain rip someone off.

As far as the cuemaker who made them if they want to remain unknown I can respect that. Evidently the customers are happy with who actually did make them or they would ask for the refund.

You made some very good points.