Another Anniversary Rebuild

jchown

Registered
Hello all
I found this forum when researching the Brunswick Anniversary tables, consistently whenever Google returned any information about the topic it was a post here that was linked, so I wanted to join and be a part of it. I found my Anniversary (when looking for a Gold Crown for my basement) on Kijiji. It was a former commercial table at a pool hall in Toronto, and had been brought home by the owner to play on. Evidently he moved and no longer had room for the table, so he sold it on Kijiji. It was advertised as refinished, but it was quickly evident to me that in order to be happy with it for years to come then I would have to put a lot of work in it myself.

The table itself is a 4.5 by 9 foot later model table, has the figure 8 nut places and the formica rails, a ball return system and no counters on the rails. From what I can tell I would guess that the table is from the 60's. The slate is in almost perfect condition, with no noticeable defects (but damn is it heavy!!).

I thought id share what I was doing, and use this thread as a worklog to keep track of what I was up to.

I started off by polishing one of the corners. They are fairly dull and scratched up, and so I decided to start with some 400 grit wetsand paper and gradually increased grits until I was at 2000. I then buffed for a couple of minutes using a compound and was met with quite a nice result, after about 2 hours of total polishing- I figure it needs another half hour to be mirror like but I was pleased with the results

0DBA7Sm.jpg

Gx4wlck.jpg

Last edited:

jchown

Registered
I then turned my attention to the formica rails. They were in rough shape in places, with some indents that had cracked the formica, and in some places the brown had rubbed right off leaving a lighter colour brown. I attempted to chip it off using a chisel and a clothes iron, but after 4 cuts to my fingers and some very slow progress I changed up the approach. I switched to a belt sander and 50 grit sand paper, which works beautifully. In less than two hours with a belt sander, a palm sander and a lot of hand sanding I had the rails back to wood in no time.
sorry its upside down

aaGMuaz.jpg

jchown

Registered
Yesterday I tackled the aprons. I used a furniture stripper and removed the "refinishing" that the previous owner had done. He had painted the lines black, I plan on going back to white. I managed to do everything but the stretcher and one leg in a day. I am still trying to decide what colour looks best on these tables (opinions welcomed!!!)
x0ISIqT.jpg

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only wish your picture were LARGER. Just ribbing you man, looks nice.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jchown,
Congratulations on your purchase. I picked up a Anniversary about 9 months ago and am going through the same process albeit at a MUCH slower rate than you. I think I'll still be messing with it in another 9 months. Anyway I look forward to your progress and wanted to know how are you going to finish the rails after sanding off the veneer? Re-veneer back over the top?

Steve

jchown

Registered
jchown,
Congratulations on your purchase. I picked up a Anniversary about 9 months ago and am going through the same process albeit at a MUCH slower rate than you. I think I'll still be messing with it in another 9 months. Anyway I look forward to your progress and wanted to know how are you going to finish the rails after sanding off the veneer? Re-veneer back over the top?

Steve
Hi Steve- yes good question. I am taking the rails to a local Antique furniture guy to get them veneered- I think Walnut is a good choice but wanted to ask around if anyone else has been through the process.
Im a spaz- once I get into a project I cant let it go unfinished or it drives me nuts mentally- I spent 3 hours tonight polishing aluminum...

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Polishing aluminum, that was a dirty job. I was blowing black snot out of my nose for a week and somehow managed to remove a fair amount of skin from my fingers. I would sure like to see how the rails turn out as mine are formica as well. They are in pretty good shape but matching the rest of the wood parts to them ( stain wise ) is a bit tough. I have entertained the thought of placing walnut veneer over them so I would have more latitude in stain choices and everything would match. Did you measure the location of the sights so you could get them back in the correct locations?
Steve

jchown

Registered
Hey Steve

I don't know about veneering right on top of formica, I would think that it would raise the profile of the rail which may be noticeable- I think you will find that sanding it off is a fairly easy job and gives you a virgin surface to work with. I will definitely post updates, I haven't sent them in yet for veneering.
As far as the sights, I plan on drilling a small hole with a drill press using the indent from the original sights (there is still a visible indent at the center of the hole). Then once they come back veneered I can simply run the same bit through from the bottom of the rail and it should show dead center of where the sights need to be.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a photo? Id love to see it.

At some point in it's life someone tried to lift or move the table without taking it apart.
They ruined the skirts. My only option was to replace them with some very nice 5/8" solid maple boards. while they do look great they are not the art-deco design of the original.
There have been some great photos of Anniversary's posted here in the past, just wish mine was all original too, obviously the skirts don't effect the playing.

I might suggest you do a search on "anniversary" and see what you get.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Good luck with your project. It will be worth it when you're done.

Personally, I took the easy route, and had my refurbished Anniversary finished and delivered by Billiard Restoration Service in Clay Center, KS. Top notch work.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anniversary Restoring Rails

Hi,

Great table, you won't be disappointed with the end results...

I purchased my 1953 Anniversary 4 1/2 x 9 Model DC "Gully" Table in 1991 from a one owner private home table, it was pristine for its age, the only major thing I did was remove the heavy spray lacquer finish from the Rosewood rails.

The rails are Rosewood like the Centennial, the table had to be custom ordered, my original 1953 service manual references only Walnut rails as an option.

I was told by an expert in Anniversary restoration's the best finish is Danish Oil and Waxed Rails.

Here's what he told me, start by hand sanding the rails in one direction with the grain starting with 320 grit paper then 400, 600 and finally 1200 grit, the sand paper brand was a Norton Wet & Dry Silicon Carbide Waterproof Paper.

During the entire sanding process you need to vacuum the dust away and wipe clean with mineral spirits, try to use a new rag between wiping's to avoid the sand paper clogging.

Final steps:
1.) Apply Watco Natural Danish Oil Finish, follow the instructions and hand buff with a 1/4" Felt Polishing pad.

2.) Apply Watco Natural Satin Finishing Wax, follow instructions and hand buff with a new 1/4" Felt Polishing pad.

The result is amazing, deep shine look, easily maintained, still looks awesome after 23 years!

Send me a PM with your e mail and I will send more info.

Regards,

Joe

jchown

Registered
Great advice, I sent you a PM would like to know more. Would also like to see the rosewood rails- maybe ill change my mind about the walnut?

jchown

Registered
So I ran into a bit of a snag with this table. I took the rails to be veneered by a local antique repair shop, and they are telling me that each rail (six of them in all) will run me $300 so 1800 in veneer. Sounded a bit steep so I declined- but it raised a good question- how much should I pay to have the rails veneered? THey are stripped down to the poplar- so I would think most of the prep work is done. Are they hard to do yourself? I don't have a vacuum press but if its $1800 to pay someone else I think I can afford to buy one!

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jchown
Since I last posted I have done some veneering on the pedestals, stringer and skirts. This was my first attempt at veneering, so I am not an expert by any means. I think veneering the surfaces I did you can get away with less than a perfect bond and generally it is not a difficult process. Given the rails are under heavy use, I think they need to be bonded very well. I'm not sure using only a scraper is going to do the trick. Dragging your hand back over the edge (near the felt) if not adequately bonded may result in some lifting. Vacuum bagging would pretty much guarantee you get a good durable bond. Possibly someone out there has done it without vacuum bagging and can comment on how well it holds up.
Good Luck, Steve

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As luck would have it, a friend just gave me a subscription to "Wood" magazine and I got it today. There is an article on veneering I think you will find useful as well as some prices on vacuum systems. You might want to look into it. STeve

jchown

Registered
kZRPYA4.jpg

I took a flyer and bought a 4x8 sheet of Walnut paper backed veneer. I didn't find it too hard to apply. I used contact cement on both the rail and the veneer, waited for it to get tacky (bout 4 minutes) and then applied it. At the recommendation of the guy at the lumber yard, I utilized masking tape to apply pressure on the curved surface to keep the veneer tight to the rail. Seems to have worked very well. I am still holding off on doing the legs, I am not sure whether I need someone to repair the damage to the veneer or to have them completely recovered. Is it better to keep the legs with the original veneer (with the original stamps) or make them look new. I don't really plan on ever selling the table anyways...