Who has the most fundamentally sound stroke?

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I know this has been a topic before but its usually, "Who has the best stroke?" which is

very subjective. Disclaimer: SVB is a hell of a player but no, his stroke is not what you would call fundamentally sound, it just looks cool. Shane's elbow goes from angled towards his body to straight up and down his wrist makes a similar motion. Despite being one of the best players in the world his stroke isn't something a coach would teach. Tor Lowry and Mark Wilson have excellent definitions on a orthodox stroke.

ALSO this isn't about "Whatever works" or "Well ____ pro does this" Cue action and body mechanics are two different things.

My choice would be Charlie Bryant. If you have ever seen him play in person or watching shoot stroke shots, you know what I'm talking about.

Please only pick one player.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Carlo Biado reminds me of a machine. But I would rather have a vintage in their prime Earl or Efren stroke and to heck with mechanics!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been a topic before but its usually, "Who has the best stroke?" which is

very subjective. Disclaimer: SVB is a hell of a player but no, his stroke is not what you would call fundamentally sound, it just looks cool. Shane's elbow goes from angled towards his body to straight up and down his wrist makes a similar motion. Despite being one of the best players in the world his stroke isn't something a coach would teach. Tor Lowry and Mark Wilson have excellent definitions on a orthodox stroke.

ALSO this isn't about "Whatever works" or "Well ____ pro does this" Cue action and body mechanics are two different things.

My choice would be Charlie Bryant. If you have ever seen him play in person or watching shoot stroke shots, you know what I'm talking about.

Please only pick one player.

I don't think people on here understood the question.

If you all did, one of your picks would have been Buddy Hall.

Looks at his stroke: level, straight, follows through with a very fluid motion.

Remember, this isn't about setup (although Buddy's setup is pretty damn good), that is another element of the shot.
The OP is talking about the stroke itself.

Earl's had a pretty damn good stroke in his day, but Buddy had him beat.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
I don't think people on here understood the question.

If you all did, one of your picks would have been Buddy Hall.

Looks at his stroke: level, straight, follows through with a very fluid motion.

Remember, this isn't about setup (although Buddy's setup is pretty damn good), that is another element of the shot.
The OP is talking about the stroke itself.

Earl's had a pretty damn good stroke in his day, but Buddy had him beat.

Ding ding! Buddy Hall looks like he is conducting and orchestra.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In terms of perfect mechanics. Earl Strickland has many of the qualities to look for, so does Mika Immonen and Thorsten Hohmann.
How Bustamante comes up in a thread about perfect fundamentals, I have NO idea...

And BTW. Watching newer videos of SVB, has has tweaked his stroke, he now has a longer backswing pause and his break mechanics is simply amazing!

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
before scrolling down my thought was john morra and buddy hall.

it's amazing how many guys with what would be considered 'unsound' strokes have had big success. Hopkins, Busty, Keith and Morro to name just a few.

but sound stroke awards def go to Misters B Hall and J Morra. imo

best,
brian kc

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
stroke

When is comes to stance and the fundamentals of it;
IMO; Buddy, Kim D., Earl and Max E.

But, when it comes to a sound stroke and solid follow through and understanding the aftermath of contact point with the CB and what happens in the next 4-8 inches thereafter; IMO; Efren, Busti, Earl (again) and Carlo are on that list.

I understood the questions as "mechanics" so.... that is why I responded that way!
Chew away as you wish, I am not on here often enough to see the posts! lol :grin:

Have a nice day everyone! :p