Jump shot shenanigans with Alex P

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch this, then go to the last comment thread where there are a few opinions if the shot Alex shot was a legal jump or not. Don't know if any of you guys also posted there but I did. And it actually changed my mind about this rule of jumping. For pretty much ever, I though the jump shot rule is that you had to strike the ball above center. After this video and the comments and reading the rules, the rules don't say that at all. They just say you can't hit low on the ball to scoop it or dig under it, not that you can't hit low on it at all. From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.

There is a guy on there that keeps insisting that the rules state you have to hit from above on a jump shot, but the rules don't say that anywhere even though that would make it much clearer if they did if that was the intent of the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZG55Ugzm7g

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.

This was my understanding as well. I've also seen Efren make that shot in LA in the early 2000s during a quick exhibition.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Jump is a shot where the ball rebounds off the slate. Alex’s shot is 100% legal. Guy commenting otherwise is a nit. [[[edit: also, they are referencing the old BCA rules, not the current CSI BCAPL rules. Any rebounding shot is legal. No reference to contact location.]

CC846A58-6C7A-4D65-A3E6-694DFE9AD040.jpeg

-td

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been shooting that as necessary since before the dead sea was sick. Success rate: I now know there are many easier ways to sell out.:embarrassed2:;):grin-square:.

He is shooting down on the CB and as all likely know, the less elevation of the cue, the less lift on the CB after impact. As one doesn't want to go over the first OB with the CB, less lift is appropriate.

Not sure how that would be a foul, if hard breaking from the rail isn't. That CB action is a similar amount of lift.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Watch this, then go to the last comment thread where there are a few opinions if the shot Alex shot was a legal jump or not. Don't know if any of you guys also posted there but I did. And it actually changed my mind about this rule of jumping. For pretty much ever, I though the jump shot rule is that you had to strike the ball above center. After this video and the comments and reading the rules, the rules don't say that at all. They just say you can't hit low on the ball to scoop it or dig under it, not that you can't hit low on it at all. From what I see in the rule, as long as you drive the cueball into the slate with a downward stoke and the jump action is caused by it rebounding off the slate, you can hit anywhere on the ball you want.

There is a guy on there that keeps insisting that the rules state you have to hit from above on a jump shot, but the rules don't say that anywhere even though that would make it much clearer if they did if that was the intent of the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZG55Ugzm7g

I try not to let internet comments get to me but Jesus lol. That guy was just being dense

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I slowed down the video on my phone. It looks good based on what I’m looking for and I could be wrong. With a proper jump shot, the upward trajectory of the cueball is very similar to the downward angle of the stroke. A proper jump can be shallow. In my experience, a scoop shot has a disproportionate upward trajectory. I don’t think there’s such thing as a shallow (illegal) scoop. At least without some amount of obvious miscue. And Alex’s shot had a solid sound to the hit and not the tink of a miscue.

https://youtu.be/5cKruHYHqng

Otherwise I don’t blame the commenter from thinking it was bad. It does have appearances of being borderline even if it was clean all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holly shit I read about half of that guy's posts and had to stop. Definitely dense! Did he ever come to his senses? I'm not gonna read the rest, ha ha.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This was my understanding as well. I've also seen Efren make that shot in LA in the early 2000s during a quick exhibition.

I’m sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball...
...thicker cloth.
Dennis Taylor likes to jump a ball out of a triangle in exhibitions.

Here’s Dennis...you’ll notice at 14.00 how easily he jumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9ZU4ECrA

Listen to the whole show...Dennis is a talented showman...he’s funny

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I’m sure you are aware of this shot at snooker....much easier to do....smaller ball...
...thicker cloth.

Very cool! I have watched Dennis for years and had no idea he was so funny and talented at trick shots under pressure. :cool:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read about that shot when Kieth McCreedy wrote for Billiards Digest I believe he did a full ball jump ,
I practiced it many times and have done it but only once in actual play it's a sell out shot more times obviously than not ,
Corey Duel the mad magician hit a similar shot where he hits a object in and bounces the cue ball up in the air and drops It in the center of the rack busting the rack wide open

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...thicker cloth.

LOL.....

That is a great video, and exhibition!! Tap tap tap...

Td

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex the man

One of my all time favorite players. Never count him out, especially in an all around tournament.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the match that this shot was hit, it’s game 3 of Alex vs the Hansens, Lion vs the Lambs at the 2016 US Open 8-ball. These three stepped into the ring because one of the challenge matches got canceled.

When Alex played position on the 14-ball, Jay and I assumed it went since he played that position and never looked like there was an issue with it passing. That’s why I assumed he would slide the cueball and just tickle the 8-ball.

https://youtu.be/L1z0SofLnww

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would it even be possible to get that screwback with a scoop shot?

Nope, because the cueball would be really jumping up due to a miscue. It was just in interesting shot and I posted it mainly because I always though you did need to strike the cueball above the equator in a jump. After reading the rules again, none of them say that, but you wold need to hit the ball with a downward motion of the cue or you can't drive it into the slate for a legal jump. There is confusion about striking the ball into the slate and "must be hit from above", those are not the same thing.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched this vid from 1988 that someone posted with Rempe & LJJ...here is the section about jumping the ball and where contact has to be made for a legal shot. Maybe it was just an older rule/viewpoint from jumping back in those days?

https://youtu.be/4kpLvCVPLhU?t=2245