How to grip the cue.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Does anyone disagree with the following? If so, what modifications would you recommend?

Gripping the cue between the thumb and index finger, with the other three fingers held off the cue, does a couple of things:

1. It grips the cue at only two points on opposite sides of the handle (like having a horizontal hinge pin through the handle to form a “pivot point”) so the cue can pivot freely during the pendulum stroke without interference from the rest of the fingers on the grip hand.

2. It puts the hand in the proper “hanging straight and loose” position so the wrist joint pivots easily along the same line as the cue and shot line without “steering” the stroke offline.

But pointing the thumb and index finger down is only the starting position – the grip is used this way at first to illustrate the hand position and how the cue should pivot between the thumb and index finger, but it’s not the finished grip.

The next step is to allow the index finger to wrap lightly around to cradle the bottom of the cue so that less “pinching” pressure is used (unless needed for harder shots) – the thumb remains more or less straight down on its side of the cue, curling inward only enough to complete the loop with the index finger. The remaining three fingers are kept off the cue for some more time until the feeling of cradling the cue lightly with only the thumb and forefinger comes naturally.

Finally, the remaining three fingers are allowed to relax comfortably against the cue and even curl lightly around it, but without applying any grip pressure. All grip pressure comes only from the “pinching” of the thumb and forefinger against the sides of the cue. When done correctly, this grip develops calluses on the insides of the thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the cue where it pivots against them.

The “v” in this method is simply the inverted “v” formed between the thumb and forefinger, made more visible by the gap left between it and the top of the cue because of the loose grip.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this is probably the best description I've ever read on how to grip/hold the cue. :thumbup:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, no and no. That's not for me and I don't play or teach that way unless someone insists on playing that way.

I highly recommend the pressure being on the back part of the hand, not the front. When players start twisting the cue in a bad way, they always do it with the front two fingers.

The pinkie is the extension of the arm. It's your anchor. The thumb and index fingers tend to be too easily flexed.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
No, no and no. That's not for me and I don't play or teach that way unless someone insists on playing that way.

I highly recommend the pressure being on the back part of the hand, not the front. When players start twisting the cue in a bad way, they always do it with the front two fingers.

The pinkie is the extension of the arm. It's your anchor. The thumb and index fingers tend to be too easily flexed.

That's interesting. It seems, for as long as I can remember, every great player, instructor, book, etc...taught that the grip hand should primarily utilize the index finger and thumb, with the other fingers lightly touching the grip or not touching it at all, providing a cradle style support only.

Maybe it's not all that important, which fingers are used. Whatever feels right and doesn't apply unwanted torque or pressure might just be a good grip, depending on the player. In other words, could it be an individualized fundamental aspect of the stroke?

Last edited:

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

What do you think Randy?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Maybe it's not all that important, which fingers are used. Whatever feels right and doesn't apply unwanted torque or pressure
I use a kind of hybrid of the two: the thumb/index "pivoting" grip, but with my other fingers wrapped loosely around the grip to keep my palm flat against it to make it the extension of the arm Fran describes, preventing unwanted twisting.

pj
chgo

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I use a kind of hybrid of the two: the thumb/index "pivoting" grip, but with my other fingers wrapped loosely around the grip to keep my palm flat against it to make it the extension of the arm Fran describes, preventing unwanted twisting.

pj
chgo

Have you ever heard that the index finger should not be touching the cue? I have heard that. Something about the index finger causes slight cue movement.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Have you ever heard that the index finger should not be touching the cue? I have heard that. Something about the index finger causes slight cue movement.
My goal is to have my grip hand stay in line with my forearm (and therefore the shot line) throughout the stroke at all speeds. I think that can be achieved with different combinations of fingers gripping the cue, depending on the player, especially with the wrist's ability to flex a little in that same line.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I don't understand how the palm can possibly remain in contact with the cue during the back stroke. The wrist would have to be bent at an awkward angle to make that happen.

Max Eberly, Scott Lee, Jerry Briesath, etc... all teach a relaxed grip where the thumb and index finger are primarily used for gripping the cue while the other fingers simple act as a cradle, allowing the cue to swing back and forth, undisturbed by the palm or cradled fingers, just as the op described.

If the cue moves freely, smoothly, back and forth, and you don't increase the grip pressure on that final stroke through the cb, it probably doesn't matter exactly how you are gripping it, as long as it feels comfortable and natural to you.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't understand how the palm can possibly remain in contact with the cue during the back stroke. The wrist would have to be bent at an awkward angle to make that happen.
I mean the palm stays parallel with the cue, lightly touching it if at all - and the other fingers open and close a little as the cue moves. No gripping except for the index/thumb, and that’s as much a cradle as a grip.

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How to Grip the cue

I look at the grip as a side to side ''pinch'' of the cue butt.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

I've seen players use their middle finger and thumb instead of index finger and thumb. However, most of us actually have the best coordination and control when using the index finger and thumb together, whether we are picking up a pencil, tying our shoes, gripping a golf club or gripping a pool cue.

This doesn't mean a player can't grow accustomed to gripping the cue differently, using other fingers to actually control grip pressure. As long as the cue is moving freely, and its path isn't altered by the pressure of the palm or other fingers touching the cue, the exact grip configuration doesn't much matter.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's interesting. It seems, for as long as I can remember, every great player, instructor, book, etc...taught that the grip hand should primarily utilize the index finger and thumb, with the other fingers lightly touching the grip or not touching it at all, providing a cradle style support only.

Maybe it's not all that important, which fingers are used. Whatever feels right and doesn't apply unwanted torque or pressure might just be a good grip, depending on the player. In other words, could it be an individualized fundamental aspect of the stroke?

To me, how you grip the cue is important but I do understand how it may not be important to some. Many great players in the past have said things because others have said them before them, like for example, keeping the pinkie off the cue so it swings through properly. Do you know how that originated? It came from players years ago who stood taller at the table and needed to release the cue a bit to allow it to swing through. But because the origin wasn't known, it was passed down to later generations who stood low to the table and released their pinkie, not knowing that they no longer needed to. They also needed some wrist action because they couldn't swing their arms all the way through -- due to standing taller.

Most players today stand low to the table. The recommendation I wrote before is based on that type of stance. Snooker players are divided on grip placement. Some recommend gripping with the first three while others recommend more of a full-fisted grip. Those who grip with the first three tend to open and close their grip as the cue swings through. As of yet, I haven't seen the necessity of that motion unless there's something I'm missing.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Those who grip with the first three tend to open and close their grip as the cue swings through. As of yet, I haven't seen the necessity of that motion unless there's something I'm missing.
It does look like a complication. I suspect it is useful for maintaining timing on the stroke. For power shots it's nice to have the hand closed at the end. For most shots, having the hand closed on the back stroke requires the wrist to rotate more. Doing a consistent open/close might help with stroke consistency in general.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
To me, how you grip the cue is important but I do understand how it may not be important to some. Many great players in the past have said things because others have said them before them, like for example, keeping the pinkie off the cue so it swings through properly. Do you know how that originated? It came from players years ago who stood taller at the table and needed to release the cue a bit to allow it to swing through. But because the origin wasn't known, it was passed down to later generations who stood low to the table and released their pinkie, not knowing that they no longer needed to. They also needed some wrist action because they couldn't swing their arms all the way through -- due to standing taller.

Most players today stand low to the table. The recommendation I wrote before is based on that type of stance. Snooker players are divided on grip placement. Some recommend gripping with the first three while others recommend more of a full-fisted grip. Those who grip with the first three tend to open and close their grip as the cue swings through. As of yet, I haven't seen the necessity of that motion unless there's something I'm missing.

Makes sense. The reason I say the exact grip isn't as important as developing a comfortable and consistent grip is because all that matters is that the cue is able to move freely through the cb without any weird pressure exerted at the grip end that would cause inconsistencies or off hits on the tip end.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Doing a consistent open/close might help with stroke consistency in general.
I don't consciously open and close the middle/ring/pinky fingers; I just relax them so they curl around but don't grip the cue, letting the cue nudge them open on the backswing and allowing them to recurl naturally (without any gripping) on the forward stroke. It does help me with stroke consistency, mostly (as I said above) by keeping my palm parallel with the cue, preventing "tucking" or "rolling".

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does look like a complication. I suspect it is useful for maintaining timing on the stroke. For power shots it's nice to have the hand closed at the end. For most shots, having the hand closed on the back stroke requires the wrist to rotate more. Doing a consistent open/close might help with stroke consistency in general.

Those with a full-fisted grip certainly change their pressure points as the cue moves through the hand. A spectator wouldn't be able to see it but the player feels it as I'm sure you know. The pressure sort of rolls towards the back of the hand as the cue moves forward. This is naturally done by many players with the full grip without having to release and grab. They can also pick and choose when to release and grab on certain shots for additional power.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Does that mean you do not "cradle" your last 3 fingers underneath the butt? Only using your thumb and index finger?

NO....

You can hold it with two, three, four or five fingers.

There's something to be said about getting more mental/physical feed back from every shot, when your using more fingers.

Your cradle finger total, can be (2-5).

Does one of these choices feel comfortable and natural, or completely unnatural when you first picked up a cue?

Beginners that don't play I'd recommend 4.

First....you can hold it where it feels comfortable & swing it, and make this your choice.

Or....you can choose a pro's grip that you like, and Just ''do it''.

You'll not regret your decision if you copy a great player........Look at em all before your choose.

This girl will be with you for your remaining years above ground.

If you play 30-50 hrs a week and are in action, it will take around 3 months to ''perfect'' it.

That's a short time....because your getting better.

Your opponents that already have your speed figured out, don't bite a$ hard.

The pinch is related to the side pressure that the "chosen'' fingers exert.

Like Nicky said yrs ago in a Jerry Briesath Video.

Grip....
''It's like holding a can of soda'' you don't bend it, you just hold it so it won't slip.

Happy New years to all....