Roger Long "Pro cut Prockets"

izquik72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your article “Pro-Cut” Pockets: Does Tight Make Right? You devised a formula for rating pocketing abilities of different tables.

My Question is how do you measure the shelf?

They are radius cut and vary quite a bit.
I have a line from point to point and measure to back of pocket where slate drops off.
My personal table ranges from 2" on the sides to 1.2 in the center.
Would I just make that an average of 1.6?
Or just go with center pocket 1.2?

Thank you in advance

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
In your article “Pro-Cut” Pockets: Does Tight Make Right? You devised a formula for rating pocketing abilities of different tables.

My Question is how do you measure the shelf?

They are radius cut and vary quite a bit.
I have a line from point to point and measure to back of pocket where slate drops off.
My personal table ranges from 2" on the sides to 1.2 in the center.
Would I just make that an average of 1.6?
Or just go with center pocket 1.2?

Thank you in advance

All of the pocket shelves I measured were from the center.

Now here's a fun one: measuring from the center on your pockets, tell me what rating you come up with and let me try and guess what kind of table you have.:)

Roger

izquik72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair the table still has factory rails I only had the sides shimmed.

Pocket Opening is 5.00
Pocket throat is 4.125
Shelf is 1.210

Difficulty rating 17.045 Easy

I measured with a caliper.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
To be fair the table still has factory rails I only had the sides shimmed.

Pocket Opening is 5.00
Pocket throat is 4.125
Shelf is 1.210

Difficulty rating 17.045 Easy

I measured with a caliper.

Oh, if it's been shimmed, I wouldn't have the slightest chance of quessing the maker correctly.

Your pockets are right on the border between Easy and Tough, however. Many of the unshimmed Gold Crowns I've measured are not much tougher than. But like anything else, it's all relative. A typical bar table player would probably consider your pockets tough, and a professional would probably consider them easy.

Anyway, it's going to be fun from now on to maybe look at things from a little different perspective, i.e. whenever a person starts to brag about how many racks of 9-ball they ran, or how many 100's they ran in 14.1, we can ask them, "What was the pocket rating?" :wink:

Roger