Does a touch of outside...

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I had my reply open for hours while I came back to it here and there working on it and now I see that you ended up deleting the post I responded to so all of the stuff below that I was responding to is now gone. No need to respond if you were wanting to drop it, although I think you should still read my post, especially the last part with the article that I linked to.

Just because someone had the intellect to become a Dr. or a Physicist or a another type of scientists does not mean one would become one instead of whatever they became. Sometimes an individual has a passion or desire for other things that are perhaps more gratifying to them or maybe they just wanted something more simple or perhaps there were other obstacles that prevented them from going in those directions
Did you not see where I already acknowledged this by saying most instead of all? It doesn’t surprise me that you would try to argue anyway. It still doesn’t change the fact that most with that level of ability are going to become something along those lines and when people have those types of science abilities they most often have those types of science related interests as well. MOST aren’t going to become a farmer or even a low level office manager for example if they truly have the ability to become a doctor or a physicist. I capitalized “most” for you this time so you wouldn’t miss it again by the way.

It's statements like you made here & others that show you to be an arrogant individual that just THINKS that they know it all. I'd hazard a guess that you will deny that.
I definitely don’t know it all. I do know a lot but where we differ is that I can accurately differentiate between fact and theory. The other place where we differ is when I don’t know what I am talking about on science type things I either say “this is my guess based on nothing concrete…” or I just keep my mouth shut and say nothing at all. Another big difference between us is that I am always smart enough to know when I’m not smart enough.

My IQ & intelligence & ability to understand are just fine.
Not for the purposes of knowing and understanding the reality of what is happening on a pool table they aren’t. And again, this does not necessarily mean that a person is dumb. They could just be lazy, closed minded, or the material could just be above the the level of most people in general which appears to be the case with some of the physics behind what is actually happening on a pool table.

Maybe you can explain the science that you understand point by point & we can discuss it.
The science behind what? The science behind this thread topic is already in this thread, and the science behind almost everything else in pool is already on this site and usually on Dr. Dave’s site also.

In your opinion, just what makes something a scientific fact?
It depends on the context but most often it either means something can’t possibly be any other way, or the odds of it being any other way are so small that it would be silly not to fully believe it as opposed to something else that has almost no chance. Like for example the argument could be made that it is not 100% fact that you exist, but the chances are so astronomically small that you would be a fool not to believe that you are in fact alive and do actually exist.

What percentage of the scientific community do you think has ever heard of the tests & the conjecture drawn from them regarding pool?
Whichever ones have an interest in pool. I have no idea what percentage that would be, but it is relatively small. The better question is of those in the entire advanced scientific community, what percentage would disagree with Dr. Dave or Bob Jewett or Mike Page or Pat Johnson about any of the things they claim as facts about pool, or would disagree with their choice of theory as being the one that by far was the most likely based on the overwhelming evidence? The answer is zero percent would disagree because they also have the intellect and knowledge to be able to discern fact from fiction or theory as well as to be able to discern where the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence lies for the few things that are still theory and not yet conclusively proven fact.

I understand that your heroes may have made what seems to be logical conclusions base on the info available but new info has come from Russia & even Renfro/Chris a tip manufacturer here.
As has already been explained on here, that “new info” from Russia doesn’t really conflict with what Dr. Dave or the other “science guys” claim. And Renfro/Chris is in the same boat as you are, often doesn’t know what he is talking about but will be more vocal than anyone about it and completely closed minded and unwilling to learn from those who do. And another mistake you are making is that you are assuming that just because he knows how to punch some holes out of leather and assemble or otherwise form them into a tip shape that it must mean he knows something about the science of what is happening with tips and tip/ball contacts. It doesn’t. They have almost nothing to do with each other.

I'll keep from believing what I know is inconclusive conjecture until all of the info is in IF it ever does come in.
To not have 100% faith in something until it is 100% proven is not only justified but prudent. It would make sense to only have 99% conviction in something that was only 99% likely. But that isn’t what you do at all. You very often have 0% belief in things that are 100% proven and fact, and 0% belief in the theories that are 99.9% certain and for which the evidence overwhelmingly supports it and instead choose to believe in some nonsense. The level of belief should be relatively commensurate with the level of likelihood, and yours isn’t even close and in fact is often as backwards as it could possibly be.

Now how much science do you really know outside of what you have been told or read about 'pool science'?
It is hard to say for certain, but I think probably a pretty good amount because I was lucky that things just came pretty easily for me and I was able to learn stuff at this level of physics for example without having to be taught by anyone or anything for the most part. But I can guarantee you that I have also learned tons from others and books and other places and was lucky in that I always knew what I could rely on because I could almost always understand the proof that showed when something was factual and true. I would be a fool not to have learned from sources outside myself. Anybody that does that and relies only on their own senses and experiences to form their beliefs and knowledge will be more ignorant and wrong a lot more of the time than if they had been open to learning from people who were much smarter and had much more knowledge of a topic than they did.

Do you have any physics education at all. If so what stopped you from becoming a physicist & made you go into finance?
I have had a little bit of formal physics education but not enough to know jack crap compared to a physicist. I have no problem with the simple physics stuff like what is usually involved with most pool related things. I would definitely defer to someone with more physics knowledge on pretty much anything I wasn't 100% certain about, and there isn't anything I would be 100% certain about in physics than any physicist would ever disagree with. Being a physicist never interested me as a career.

Who do you think wants to have a discussion with anyone that has basically called them an idiot on multiple occasions?
I haven’t called you an idiot, and have been as ginger as possible in the topics of what people are capable of understanding. But the fact remains that not everyone has the intellect and knowledge to understand some of this physics stuff, and not understanding it is the only reason they could possibly disagree with it. Unfortunately there is no way of getting around having to mention this if one is needing to explain why someone is disagreeing with proven facts. That is the explanation.

I bet you pride yourself on being able to skirt site rules & then claim that you've been civil.
I haven’t skirted any rules and that is quite the opposite of what I would pride myself on.

As I have explained previously, these debates are a real catch 22 and will likely never go away entirely because a segment of the population simply isn’t capable of understanding the facts and proof. So instead they are going to rely on how things seem to them through their experience and things just often aren’t the way we sense them to be and so they will often be wrong and you have no way to prove it to them if they can't understand the proof. Just an absolute catch 22. All the “science guys” can do is to keep explaining, keep trying, and hope to make slow progress over time and that seems to be what is happening and has happened. The general pool public already doesn’t believe all the nonsense they believed just a few decades ago, and one day they won’t be believing all the nonsense they believe today.

On a related note, please read this article which addresses exactly what I have been talking about in some of my posts to you. It addresses how you can have a long held and very firm belief about something in pool but be dead wrong, which is why is pays to keep an open mind to learning, and why it never pays to believe the way things “seem” to be occurring to you over what can be scientifically proven. On lots of things you are in the same boat as the author was in, firm belief in things that are simply wrong and no way to know the difference (unless it comes from someone else a lot more intelligent and a lot more knowledgeable who does know because our experience often isn't enough and never would be enough to ever get it right by ourselves).
http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/ross_bd_april08.pdf

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
As has already been explained on here, that “new info” from Russia doesn’t really conflict with what Dr. Dave or the other “science guys” claim.
I think it was Renfro who first attempted to create this misinformation; and for some reason, others seem to feel a need to perpetuate it.

You are correct that the Russian high-speed video work directly supports everything Bob, others, and I have discovered in the past. The Russian cameras are much better, and some of their results are more detailed, but there is no disagreement. FYI, I have links to all of the Russian stuff throughout the pertinent resource pages on my website. For those interested, see:

cue tip contact time
cue deformation and vibration during and after a hit

Regards,
Dave

GoldenFlash

Banned
First TOI/golf and now CTE/throw? Can we keep the aiming system idiocy quarantined in the aiming forum?
pj
chgo
I guess I have made a post concerning what I thought was a discussion on throw and now see that it is about skid instead. I made a mistake.
As for you Mr. Johnson, it seems from observing the posts you place here, that you've taken the position of unelected 'high sheriff' around here. Therefore, you can claim "idiocy" about a method used to very precisely line up pool shots and hit them dead into the pockets.
I can tell you this, bud, I am no stranger around pool rooms. I've seen 'em all shoot from Buck Bozeman to these fellas from the Phillipines who're doing good work at ruling the roost nowadays.
When you can post a video of yourself drilling shots into pockets with the pockets blocked from view by a big black curtain like Stan Shuffett and his son have done, then you might get some credibility for being a "pool expert". Otherwise, in my opinion, you're just another pool room detective windbag.
Thus reinforcing the statement made long ago by champion Greenleaf........"The true facts concerning the game of pool will never be popular or even DESIRED by the masses of players".
No response is necessary, tyvm.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I guess I have made a post concerning what I thought was a discussion on throw and now see that it is about skid instead. I made a mistake.
As for you Mr. Johnson, it seems from observing the posts you place here, that you've taken the position of unelected 'high sheriff' around here. Therefore, you can claim "idiocy" about a method used to very precisely line up pool shots and hit them dead into the pockets.
I can tell you this, bud, I am no stranger around pool rooms. I've seen 'em all shoot from Buck Bozeman to these fellas from the Phillipines who're doing good work at ruling the roost nowadays.
When you can post a video of yourself drilling shots into pockets with the pockets blocked from view by a big black curtain like Stan Shuffett and his son have done, then you might get some credibility for being a "pool expert". Otherwise, in my opinion, you're just another pool room detective windbag.
Thus reinforcing the statement made long ago by champion Greenleaf........"The true facts concerning the game of pool will never be popular or even DESIRED by the masses of players".
No response is necessary, tyvm.
That's nice. Keep the aiming system idiocy in the aiming forum. Out here in the real world we like to deal with reality.

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This thread sure has diverged. Too KI...Simple here's a given, and I did NOT read all prior threads, I too would get a headache.

Cut a spot shot, cue ball dead center of table between the side pockets. Swing the cue with enough speed to take whitey four rails and use one tip of outside, then try the same shot with one tip of inside....let us know which shot was made more often and which shot felt easier after many tries.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I had my reply open for hours while I came back to it here and there working on it and now I see that you ended up deleting the post I responded to so all of the stuff below that I was responding to is now gone. No need to respond if you were wanting to drop it, although I think you should still read my post, especially the last part with the article that I linked to.

Did you not see where I already acknowledged this by saying most instead of all? It doesn’t surprise me that you would try to argue anyway. It still doesn’t change the fact that most with that level of ability are going to become something along those lines and when people have those types of science abilities they most often have those types of science related interests as well. MOST aren’t going to become a farmer or even a low level office manager for example if they truly have the ability to become a doctor or a physicist. I capitalized “most” for you this time so you wouldn’t miss it again by the way.

I definitely don’t know it all. I do know a lot but where we differ is that I can accurately differentiate between fact and theory. The other place where we differ is when I don’t know what I am talking about on science type things I either say “this is my guess based on nothing concrete…” or I just keep my mouth shut and say nothing at all. Another big difference between us is that I am always smart enough to know when I’m not smart enough.

Not for the purposes of knowing and understanding the reality of what is happening on a pool table they aren’t. And again, this does not necessarily mean that a person is dumb. They could just be lazy, closed minded, or the material could just be above the the level of most people in general which appears to be the case with some of the physics behind what is actually happening on a pool table.

The science behind what? The science behind this thread topic is already in this thread, and the science behind almost everything else in pool is already on this site and usually on Dr. Dave’s site also.

It depends on the context but most often it either means something can’t possibly be any other way, or the odds of it being any other way are so small that it would be silly not to fully believe it as opposed to something else that has almost no chance. Like for example the argument could be made that it is not 100% fact that you exist, but the chances are so astronomically small that you would be a fool not to believe that you are in fact alive and do actually exist.

Whichever ones have an interest in pool. I have no idea what percentage that would be, but it is relatively small. The better question is of those in the entire advanced scientific community, what percentage would disagree with Dr. Dave or Bob Jewett or Mike Page or Pat Johnson about any of the things they claim as facts about pool, or would disagree with their choice of theory as being the one that by far was the most likely based on the overwhelming evidence? The answer is zero percent would disagree because they also have the intellect and knowledge to be able to discern fact from fiction or theory as well as to be able to discern where the overwhelming preponderance of the evidence lies for the few things that are still theory and not yet conclusively proven fact.

As has already been explained on here, that “new info” from Russia doesn’t really conflict with what Dr. Dave or the other “science guys” claim. And Renfro/Chris is in the same boat as you are, often doesn’t know what he is talking about but will be more vocal than anyone about it and completely closed minded and unwilling to learn from those who do. And another mistake you are making is that you are assuming that just because he knows how to punch some holes out of leather and assemble or otherwise form them into a tip shape that it must mean he knows something about the science of what is happening with tips and tip/ball contacts. It doesn’t. They have almost nothing to do with each other.

To not have 100% faith in something until it is 100% proven is not only justified but prudent. It would make sense to only have 99% conviction in something that was only 99% likely. But that isn’t what you do at all. You very often have 0% belief in things that are 100% proven and fact, and 0% belief in the theories that are 99.9% certain and for which the evidence overwhelmingly supports it and instead choose to believe in some nonsense. The level of belief should be relatively commensurate with the level of likelihood, and yours isn’t even close and in fact is often as backwards as it could possibly be.

It is hard to say for certain, but I think probably a pretty good amount because I was lucky that things just came pretty easily for me and I was able to learn stuff at this level of physics for example without having to be taught by anyone or anything for the most part. But I can guarantee you that I have also learned tons from others and books and other places and was lucky in that I always knew what I could rely on because I could almost always understand the proof that showed when something was factual and true. I would be a fool not to have learned from sources outside myself. Anybody that does that and relies only on their own senses and experiences to form their beliefs and knowledge will be more ignorant and wrong a lot more of the time than if they had been open to learning from people who were much smarter and had much more knowledge of a topic than they did.

I have had a little bit of formal physics education but not enough to know jack crap compared to a physicist. I have no problem with the simple physics stuff like what is usually involved with most pool related things. I would definitely defer to someone with more physics knowledge on pretty much anything I wasn't 100% certain about, and there isn't anything I would be 100% certain about in physics than any physicist would ever disagree with. Being a physicist never interested me as a career.

I haven’t called you an idiot, and have been as ginger as possible in the topics of what people are capable of understanding. But the fact remains that not everyone has the intellect and knowledge to understand some of this physics stuff, and not understanding it is the only reason they could possibly disagree with it. Unfortunately there is no way of getting around having to mention this if one is needing to explain why someone is disagreeing with proven facts. That is the explanation.

I haven’t skirted any rules and that is quite the opposite of what I would pride myself on.

As I have explained previously, these debates are a real catch 22 and will likely never go away entirely because a segment of the population simply isn’t capable of understanding the facts and proof. So instead they are going to rely on how things seem to them through their experience and things just often aren’t the way we sense them to be and so they will often be wrong and you have no way to prove it to them if they can't understand the proof. Just an absolute catch 22. All the “science guys” can do is to keep explaining, keep trying, and hope to make slow progress over time and that seems to be what is happening and has happened. The general pool public already doesn’t believe all the nonsense they believed just a few decades ago, and one day they won’t be believing all the nonsense they believe today.

On a related note, please read this article which addresses exactly what I have been talking about in some of my posts to you. It addresses how you can have a long held and very firm belief about something in pool but be dead wrong, which is why is pays to keep an open mind to learning, and why it never pays to believe the way things “seem” to be occurring to you over what can be scientifically proven. On lots of things you are in the same boat as the author was in, firm belief in things that are simply wrong and no way to know the difference (unless it comes from someone else a lot more intelligent and a lot more knowledgeable who does know because our experience often isn't enough and never would be enough to ever get it right by ourselves).
http://billiards.colostate.edu/bd_articles/ross_bd_april08.pdf

I tired putting you on ignore last night but must have selected the wrong poolplaya.

I could very easily see where you might be an alter ego for another member. Your arguing style is very similar & just as faulty.

I might be able to agree with you about SOME of the general population if some qualifiers were attached regarding their intelligence but without those you are simply mistaken.

I am not like what you say that I am, at all. I am intelligent with a high IQ & because of my physics education I do know what is going on on the table unlike many & do not base my 'opinions' on what things SEEM to be to me.

Because of my physics education I know when something is NOT definitive.

I use the word SEEM at times intentionally instead of all of the long worded disclaimer stuff that you SEEM to want to suggest.

I find it interesting that it took you 'HOURS' to compose what you've written here.

Adios & enjoy your self inflated ego.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
This thread sure has diverged. Too KI...Simple here's a given, and I did NOT read all prior threads, I too would get a headache.

Cut a spot shot, cue ball dead center of table between the side pockets. Swing the cue with enough speed to take whitey four rails and use one tip of outside, then try the same shot with one tip of inside....let us know which shot was made more often and which shot felt easier after many tries.

The thing is to be able to do both when one 'needs' to do so.

I started with outside when I was 13 but quickly learned that one also 'needs' inside at times.

If one understands that inside spin combines with the collision throw & 'pushes' the OB & hence needs to be hit thinner & then also understands about squirt it makes the inside shot easier. If it has to be hit hard then TOI works well.

Best Wishes.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ is a Master Hustler and you are one of his biggest fish........continuing an almost daily promotion of TOI.

lol..........CJ's laughing, too, no doubt.

The Master Hustler ain't robbing too many. Tor Lowry has over 4 million views on his YT channel vs. CJ's 185K, and he has 22,796 subscribers vs. CJ's 780. CJ sure beats him in posts on AZB, though. CJ has over 11,000, Tor... a mere 7.

Maybe less is really more after all. :cool:

Attachments

• Tor Lowry vs. CJ Wiley.jpg
    Tor Lowry vs. CJ Wiley.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 124

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
22,796 vs 780................what happens when you have someone putting up good, well produced, sound, proven pool instruction (not hustling) vs vague language describing "advanced techniques" (not TOI) that nobody can actually take to the table (hammer stroke, pinning, etc).
You don't understand because those are techniques from another dimension that were never supposed to be.

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
22,796 vs 780................what happens when you have someone putting up good, well produced, sound, proven pool instruction (not hustling) vs vague language describing "advanced techniques" (not TOI) that nobody can actually take to the table (hammer stroke, pinning, etc).

I think if the cash were to be put up on a match between Tor and CJ, the money disparity may come out about the same way, except in reverse.

Give each of them $11788 (22,796 + 780 / 2) and my money says CJ will have $22,796 when Tor has $780 and then CJ will eventually have it all .

Everybody badmouths CJ, but CJ knows a bit about pool. :)

Banks

Banned
What's next, getting a lesson in physics from Lou Ferigno because he lifted more weights?

If CJ had the same skill level as Tor, the only views he'd have by now would be accidental. Those numbers are the testament to Tor's ability to put out quality instruction.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if the cash were to be put up on a match between Tor and CJ, the money disparity may come out about the same way, except in reverse.

So what? Angelo Dundee never fought in his life, but he trained 15 world champions, including the greatest of all time. Real world champions. Nobody ever said CJ can't play, just that he can't transmit his knowledge. Tor does it like few others, and without the swords, shot puts, lousy martial art moves, and bad piano playing. ;)

Besides, Tor still plays real sporty and probably would have done better as a pro if he dedicated his life to it instead of going on to make a career for himself in the film industry. The way CJ's been playing lately (check out You Tube if you don't believe me), Tor would stand a good chance. Heck, half the cast of "The Hustlers" could give CJ a run for the dough these days. :p

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry is the Nic Barrow of American pool.

Have you checked out his latest DVD? 3 discs, 5 hours of high-quality instruction primarily about CB control. $40. He has a whole hour preview of it on You Tube. I bought it a month ago and still haven't made it past the second disc, there's that much good info on them. Meanwhile, I put CJ's DVDs up on my bookshelf... as he often advised us to.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what? Angelo Dundee never fought in his life, but he trained 15 world champions, including the greatest of all time. Real world champions. Nobody ever said CJ can't play, just that he can't transmit his knowledge. Tor does it like few others, and without the swords, shot puts, lousy martial art moves, and bad piano playing. ;)

Besides, Tor still plays real sporty and probably would have done better as a pro if he dedicated his life to it instead of going on to make a career for himself in the film industry. The way CJ's been playing lately (check out You Tube if you don't believe me), Tor would stand a good chance. Heck, half the cast of "The Hustlers" could give CJ a run for the dough these days. :p

I'm not badmouthing Tor because I think he plays very well and has some of the best instructional material available...maybe THE BEST.

I don't badmouth CJ either, because he provides the time to instruct people on here. It is up to you whether you believe what he says or try to learn it. I don't have a sword, a shot put, or a piano, but I can understand what CJ is saying. I think people on here have trouble "reading between the lines".

There are lots of people, here and elsewhere, that provide good information....you just have to be able read through it until you get the "real message".

Aloha.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you checked out his latest DVD? 3 discs, 5 hours of high-quality instruction primarily about CB control. $40. He has a whole hour preview of it on You Tube. I bought it a month ago and still haven't made it past the second disc, there's that much good info on them. Meanwhile, I put CJ's DVDs up on my bookshelf... as he often advised us to.

I haven't, but I do have his kicking DVD and do plan on getting others in the future.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not badmouthing Tor because I think he plays very well and has some of the best instructional material available...maybe THE BEST.

I don't badmouth CJ either, because he provides the time to instruct people on here. It is up to you whether you believe what he says or try to learn it. I don't have a sword, a shot put, or a piano, but I can understand what CJ is saying. I think people on here have trouble "reading between the lines".

There are lots of people, here and elsewhere, that provide good information....you just have to be able read through it until you get the "real message".

Aloha.

Hey, I got a lot out of what CJ said here that others dismissed out of hand because of all his mysticism crap. I'm into a lot of that shit myself and have been since I was a youngster, so I feel I'm somewhat of a kindred spirit in that regard. It's just that he always wanted to play the part of Master Po, and insisted we were all just grasshoppers.

I'm sure he's a good guy to know in person, and I don't mean to bad mouth him, just telling it the way I see it as far as his instructional stuff. I really feel kind of sorry for him, because he seems to lack the social skills that would make him more successful. In spite of all his braggadocio, I feel he is insecure about himself and need to overcompensate by making his already incredible ability seem even greater. I have a few friends like that. I love them like brothers, but it gets old real fast.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This lame argument again. Put CJ's student up against Tor's and see who takes the cash - I'd empty out on Tor's.

pj
chgo