Long Straight In Draw Shot

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had to offer a guess, I would guess that he isnt hitting the cb where he wants to/thinks he is. ;)

That's probably true, especially on the longer draw shots where you have to hit them a little harder, put a little more oomph into the shot.

Or it could be that I am not aligned properly, or aiming properly. That pretty much narrows it down.

DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah. Then try the progressive draw practice 5C in this handout:
http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/progpract.pdf
It will force you to pay more attention to aiming and setup.

That's about what I do now Bob. But when I get to the point where there are four diamonds, or more, between the CB and OB I start to miss. I'm pretty good at 1-3 diamonds away, but the farther away is where the problem lies.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's about what I do now Bob. But when I get to the point where there are four diamonds, or more, between the CB and OB I start to miss. I'm pretty good at 1-3 diamonds away, but the farther away is where the problem lies.

r/DCP
Do you try to put the cue ball at a particular spot on the rail when it comes back? Working on that will force the aim to be exact.

But most people fall apart at some point in tough draw shots. Getting to 4 on the 5C drill is pretty good.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you try to put the cue ball at a particular spot on the rail when it comes back? Working on that will force the aim to be exact.

But most people fall apart at some point in tough draw shots. Getting to 4 on the 5C drill is pretty good.

Bob,
On your 5C drill, I want to be sure I am seeing the diagram right. It looks like there is a slight angle and when you draw it back the CB will come back and to the right a little to get onto the paper.

Or is it just a straight back draw drill?

Mike

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The CB of course. What else would one look at. That OB aint going anywhere.

r/DCP

It's obviously not going in the pocket :p
Not going to get into a long how and why I will just say the most accurate potters on the planet would not use your method and you are the one having an issue pocketing a ball at a relatively short distance so I will leave it up to you to decide if you want to improve your skills by doing it the proven way.
Good luck with your game.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter which ball you're looking at last if you're twisting your grip hand. Check your knuckles before and after you stroke. Are they in the same place? They should be.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are the one having an issue pocketing a ball at a relatively short distance. by doing it the proven way.

Who said I am having an issue pocketing the short draw shot? You obviously didn't read the thread.

And that 2nd part, about the proven way, really made me laugh. I guess you haven't seen the countless threads on here about what to look at last huh?

r/DCP

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who said I am having an issue pocketing the short draw shot? You obviously didn't read the thread.

And that 2nd part, about the proven way, really made me laugh. I guess you haven't seen the countless threads on here about what to look at last huh?

r/DCP

Your shot on a 9ft table is relatively short and yes I have seen many silly threads on here, not sure what that has to do with anything.

If you really want to improve and learn to play with a high degree of accuracy there is a better way if you stop taking the advice of B players.
Here is an eye pattern with some variations as to how may warm up strokes you choose but the basics are CB-OB-CB-OB-CB-pull back pause-OB-follow through, as done by the best potters in the world and multi world champions some even throw in an extra look at the pocket somewhere but always rest on the OB last, this is is a proven method so why you would laugh at it I have no idea. Here is Nic Barrow explaining a couple of patterns https://youtu.be/8A9MVtEAIOQ

I'll bow out of your thread now but hey I am just stating some facts you can use it or do whatever but it really stumps me as to why American pool players are so dismissive and unwilling to change when it comes to learning sound proven fundamental techniques, :confused:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,
On your 5C drill, I want to be sure I am seeing the diagram right. It looks like there is a slight angle and when you draw it back the CB will come back and to the right a little to get onto the paper.

Or is it just a straight back draw drill?

Mike
You have to pick exactly the right small angle to get to the square.

On old cloth or with dirty balls that don't draw well, the shot is very hard when the object ball gets past 3 or 4 diamonds from the cue ball.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter which ball you're looking at last if you're twisting your grip hand. Check your knuckles before and after you stroke. Are they in the same place? They should be.

I think a big issue for me is that I simply don't know if I am aiming straight/properly or not. I have no idea, when I address the CB, if I am aiming it straight at the OB. On shorter straight-in draw shots this isn't critical. On longer straight-in draw shots this is absolutely critical.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a big issue for me is that I simply don't know if I am aiming straight/properly or not. I have no idea, when I address the CB, if I am aiming it straight at the OB. On shorter straight-in draw shots this isn't critical. On longer straight-in draw shots this is absolutely critical.

r/DCP

It's a good idea to use a process of elimination when troubleshooting your game. Doing the test I recommended about checking your knuckles won't hurt anything. It will tell you if you're twisting or not. If you're not, then you can eliminate that as a possibility.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could the dominant eye issue be causing my problems here?

r/DCP

Sure. It's possible. You really need to get with someone who can troubleshoot your game --- I mean someone who really knows what they're doing.

You can do it yourself, but I warn you --- it's hard. I did it myself back when I was playing on the WPBA tour. I tore my game apart inch by inch and put it back together. There was a lot of trial and error and a lot of failures before I found what worked.