Aiming using one eye

EgoFreezer

Registered
As a weekly pool addict, over time ive noticed when i needed to thin a ball i would center the cue dead under my R eye ,chin low on cue and sight it quite accurately !
Of course aiming is important so marveling on my success i began a more concerted effort on it and ive improved!
I sight it normally till the final adjustment !

My question is why does this work for me insted of using both peepers like if been told! And is there a pitfall in this method? I aim down the cue like im sighting a weapon trying to hit a nat terd!

AM I IN TROUBLE AGAIN TEACHER????:smile:

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a teacher, but as someone who also sometimes uses one eye, I will point out the major pitfall.

When you use one eye, you lose depth perception, and this makes it more likely that you will foul by inadvertently hitting the cue ball during warm up strokes.

You may also want to think about why you use one eye. Is it because your head position is out of alignment? If so, it would be better to fix your head position.

Is it because you have dominant vision with your opposite eye? If so, then closing the opposite eye is one solution, but many players with cross-dominance will compensate by changing head position. You will see some top pros doing this.

So, closing one eye may end up being the solution for you, but there may be better alternatives that don't kill your depth perception.

Das928

Banned
I only have 1 eye so i may be some help with this topic. I have acciedntally touched the CB but in now way is it because of my eye. You set hand down the same distance from CB every time Depth perception has nothing to do with it for me. Where I do have trouble is using a bridge. Maybe I need to practice with it more.

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a weekly pool addict, over time ive noticed when i needed to thin a ball i would center the cue dead under my R eye ,chin low on cue and sight it quite accurately !
Of course aiming is important so marveling on my success i began a more concerted effort on it and ive improved!
I sight it normally till the final adjustment !

My question is why does this work for me insted of using both peepers like if been told! And is there a pitfall in this method? I aim down the cue like im sighting a weapon trying to hit a nat terd!

AM I IN TROUBLE AGAIN TEACHER????:smile:

Ok, I'm a nobody on this, but I also use one eye on ocasion. Only on a super, super thin shot, I use it to find the edge of the ball and then fall into my aligniment. Once in the shot I have already found my aim point and use my normal stroke and use both eyes to focus on where I have previously set up for. Hope this makes sense, good luck!

Swede59

You can call me SWEDE!
Silver Member
I have ALWAYS used one eye to shoot. I learned that way. I went even so far as using my less dominant hand to stroke the ball, so i could look down the barrel with my dominant eye(left eye). And never had any trouble with hitting the CB early or depth perception.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited:

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

I noticed myself doing this last night after I had a few drinks. I will use both eyes like normal, then use my right eye to narrow in. then back to normal when I shoot;)

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
When you use one eye, you lose depth perception, and this makes it more likely that you will foul by inadvertently hitting the cue ball during warm up strokes.

This is an old misconception. It's commonly repeated, I know, but it's not quite true. Depth perception is not an all or nothing deal.

When one eye is closed, depth perception is not "lost": you have simply eliminated one of the many cues by which depth is judged. Perception of depth depends not only on binocular, "fused" vision, but also on the apparent sizes of objects, occlusion (one object blocking part of another object behind it), foreshortening, shadows, and so on.

People with one eye, a lazy eye, a crossed eye, and/or amblyopia have impaired depth perception, but they do still have it. A person without an ability to perceive depth would have difficulty walking through a building.

When it comes to ball sports, impaired depth perception becomes more of a liability as the balls get smaller and/or move faster. Unless you're trying to make a wing shot this is less of an issue with pool since the balls are stationary and there are numerous cues to help judge the relative positions of balls.

Players with impaired depth perception may be more likely to touch object balls or accidentally hit the cue ball on a practice stroke, but this can be overcome with practice. It may be marginally harder for a depth-impaired player to reach the very highest level of play, but the existence of strong one-eyed players shows it's possible.

More info:
http://www.losteye.com/depthper.htm

You may also want to think about why you use one eye. Is it because your head position is out of alignment? If so, it would be better to fix your head position.

Hearty agreement there. Whatever the state of one's vision, a proper stance will help.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When one eye is closed, depth perception is not "lost": you have simply eliminated one of the many cues by which depth is judged. Perception of depth depends not only on binocular, "fused" vision, but also on the apparent sizes of objects, occlusion (one object blocking part of another object behind it), foreshortening, shadows, and so on.

Right, but "inferred" depth perception depends on cues from other objects, which may or may not be present. Such positional judgement is also learned skill.

Initially, my one-eyed attempts were associated with a lot of cue ball fouls. But, I learned to avoid them.

The arguments regarding definitions of depth perception vis a vis binocular vision abound and are unlikely to ever be settled. For pool, the justification for or against one eye aiming is largely determined by whether or not the ball is pocketed. If you want to drive a big rig or fly a plane, you better have binocular vision.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member

Right, but "inferred" depth perception depends on cues from other objects, which may or may not be present. Such positional judgement is also learned skill.

I believe I understand your point, but I think it's important to note that depth perception for one-eyed players (and others) is actually perceived, and not inferred, inference being a conscious process of deduction, and the ability to judge depth is not learned consciously.

If you want to drive a big rig or fly a plane, you better have binocular vision.

Yup. I have difficulties with even some U-Haul vans, and I don't plan to drive a forklift any time soon (again), but thankfully impaired depth is less of an issue at the pool table.