Kamui Chalk

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
With all the heated arguments on this, I'd decided to purchase one from Tony and determine for myself if it's worth the $25 Kamui is asking.

Adherence:
This thing is not a chalk. It's more like a clay that was designed to adhere onto any tip. Whether it's leather, phenolic, carbon fiber, etc, this chalk will adhere well. Or let me put it this way. I chalked up my Mezz DI pro shaft with Sonic tip with a smooth brushing motion, I broke, continued shooting the rest of the rack with the same cue, and I was able to draw back a few diamonds, stun, follow without much of any problems. For whatever it's worth, I can't get the same amount of draw with BD or Master on the Mezz break cue. I repeated the same experiment with a BK2/phenolic and the results were comparable.

Size:
As most have seen, the Kamui chalk is significantly smaller than BD and Master. However, I believe the Kamui chalk will last significantly longer than BD or Master, cube by cube comparison. By how much exactly? I'm not sure. This Kamui chalk is so thick that you really don't need much of it to apply onto the tip, and once it's on the tip, it stays there for many strokes to come. I broke 10 racks with one application on the DI pro shaft, and shot 30 straight shots with one application on my Z2 shaft. After 30 shots, I barely could see the leather because 90+% of the surface was still well covered by the chalk. Quite impressive, to be honest. Since the chalk arrived in an air-sealed envelop, I'm not sure if the chalk contains any material that may be oxidized over time and becomes unusable. If this isn't the case, one cube of Kamui chalk, despite its size, will definitely last you for a while.

Playability:
Other than the feel aspect of it, I don't experience any difference in terms of playability of this chalk. Does it induce more spin? I think so. For the third time I've had to mention the thickness of this chalk. It's so thick and it feels like you put some bubble gum on your tip so that the contact time is longer. However, I really don't like the playing feel. It's just so different. I'm sure if I took time time to learn, I'll eventually get used to it, but I'd rather spend time learning something else.

Does it worth $25? Yes or no. I believe Kamui definitely spent a tremendous amount of time in research to introduce this revolutionized product to the market. I'm not sure if the chalk is designed such that players no longer need to chalk their tip after every shot, but such idea appears strange to me. I've been so accustomed to chalking after every shot. It's so unconscious to me now I simply don't see the point to change part of my pre-shot routine in order to fit this chalk in. However, since it adheres so well to my Sonic tip, I'll be carrying this chalk everywhere I go and use it for breaking.

As far as the real purpose of using chalk, Kamui had done a very good job with their new line of products.

Last edited by a moderator:

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
Here's the good story ends...

It was officially stolen as of last night. #@#$#@! :angry::angry::angry:

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Here's the good story ends...

It was officially stolen as of last night. #@#$#@! :angry::angry::angry:

I thought you lived where they chop off hands when caught stealing? :thumbup:

P.S. I think Kamui Chalk is great. If nothing, it changes the chalking behavior. I now look at the tip and paint the chalk on (lie snooker player) rather tha absent-mindlyscrewing the tip with the chalk.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui Chalk Review - Buy it as soon as you can

First off I'd like to clearly state that I spent my own money to purchase a single cube of this wonderful product from Seyberts (the only company I could find with the product in stock). In no way shape or form am I being compensated for this review.

I received the cube today and it is a little smaller than a normal cube of chalk but extremely dense. The color is a light blue and the chalk has kind of a "greasy" texture to it, which is why I think it works so well. The paper wrapping and the chalk itself definitely has an air of quality.

if you don't want to read further I will summarize:

"Kamui Chalk can help a player at any level improve their game. Everybody that reads this message board should buy a piece for themselves or at least try it. This chalk allows you to be more careless with chalking and make shots without miscuing you cannot make consistently without miscuing otherwise. Nobody can possibly argue that this chalk is not the best chalk on the market by a landslide if you've actually used it"

I shot this shot for example about 20 times in a row without miscuing even once with extreme 3 o clock english.

http://pool.bz/P/?@4ADcn2BBlX4CdOt4...Ichq4PGEs4kGEs4kEqj4kbXj4kLYk3kbXG1kbHH1kIvJ@

I used this on my break cue with a break a rack (my break cue has a g-10 tip) and did not miscue either.

Also I feel like I can get more English on a ball with this chalk and everything feels gripper and more tightly controlled.

This chalk has made a significant difference in my game especially for extreme spin shots. I also shot several jump shots in a row without miscuing any.

I chalked up the first game on my shooting cue (moori medium) and played about 10 racks of ten ball. Shooting ridiculous stroke shots that I would never shoot in a real game I never miscued once. I tried even using extreme english and the ball just gripped and acted "like it should" without miscuing.

In playing an hour I chalked about 5 times and my break cue was chalked on every other break. I miscued zero times and this was all while trying to miscue by doing out of the ordinary maneuvers.

Positives

Less chalking - you can be a lot more careless with this chalk and not miscue.

More spin - I feel like I can get a little more jive on the ball. The hit definitely feels different when I use this product versus others.

Better shotmaking - There are shots I feel like I would miscue on normally with my normal shooting cue but I don't when I use this chalk. I have validated this through a few hours of playing. When I shoot shots jacked up over a ball I really felt like I had more control.

Negatives

The biggest negative - This is a $30 piece of chalk and there is nothing to protect it. I bought one of the kamui chalk holders and it does not hold the chalk tightly because its smaller. For $30 or even charge an extra $5 give us a plastic container with a lid to protect the chalk.

The chalk is slightly smaller than a regular cube but I think will last at least 10x longer than a normal cube.

This is a $30 piece of chalk and there is nothing to protect it. I bought one of the Kamui chalk holders and it does not hold the chalk tightly because its smaller. For $30 or even charge an extra $5 give us a plastic container with a lid to protect the chalk.

Its $30, that is a lot more than regular chalk. I still argue that even at 2x the price it is now I would still buy the product on the quality alone. The idea seems crazy but this really is a fantastic product.

The paper - It would be cool if the paper at least had a nifty design for $30.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I tried the Kamui chalk the other day because a friend had a cube with him.
My opinion after trying it is this: It works like any other good chalk, but for me it is not worth the price when Masters, Triangle or Blue Diamond is available. I believe it to be of better quality than Silver Cup chalk.

I did a test the other day and chalked up my tip once with Master's chalk. I played 4 racks of straight pool with out a miscue. MY PSR is so ingrained it was difficult not to chalk after every shot but for the test I did not re-chalk until the beginning of the 5th rack where I picked up the chalk and brushed it on my tip before the break shot, thus ending the experiment.

Kadillac

Registered
Personally, I love the Kamui chalk and tips. I have noticed increased draw, and I go two or more games without having to re-chalk.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I love the Kamui chalk and tips. I have noticed increased draw, and I go two or more games without having to re-chalk.

I only use kamui chalk and Kamui Black tips (SS & S). Really hooked on their stuff.

80P

Banned
Its the messiest and most overrated chalk on the market. Save the $30 and buy blue diamond. Kamui chalk is a gimmick and i think its ridiculous that people are praising it. I bought a cube, used it for two hours and gave it away to a local ball banger. I had to clean the table after just two hours. It was everywhere.

al-capool

Imagine all the people...
Silver Member
80P is absolutely right!

Its the messiest and most overrated chalk on the market. Save the $30 and buy blue diamond. Kamui chalk is a gimmick and i think its ridiculous that people are praising it. I bought a cube, used it for two hours and gave it away to a local ball banger. I had to clean the table after just two hours. It was everywhere.

Dear 80P,
I completely agree to you. You realy better make a gift of 30$ to a childrens help foundation, instead to buy for these nearly 30$ one single smaller sized cube of that Kamui chalk!

I just want to remind to all of you: Just remember what's the thing in your case, which you forget, gets lost or stolen the most oftly?
YES, it is the chalk!
So if you realy want to spend almost 30$ every time you forgot your chalk or somebody else tooked it up, of course you can!

But let me just add some last facts: I tried out enough time that super duper mega hypster KAMUI Chalk. They making publicity that one time chalked, it stays on your tip up to 50 strokes! This chalk is so soft and fat that it's even possible. Well even if that's true there is still another very big problem:
Like most other Poolplayers, for more than 32 years I'm chalking my cue after every or quit every stroke. To get sure of no misscue or scratch and YES, it is also a kind of ritual while I'm turning around the table. With that chalk my ritual is becoming a little expensive...LOL
IMO don't buy every bullsh.. just because it is has a very famous brand...btw I'm sorry but I'm thinking the same about PREDATORS octagonal chalks! Who the f... needs that for real?!

P.S. I'm also a fan of BLUE DIAMOND Chalks. They're just fat enough to cover the tip very nicely where and when you need it and these 5-6$ for 2 cubes in a little Box are realy a fair price for such a good product.

Last edited:

TheThaiger

Banned
For me, Kamui chalk is the best bang for your buck in pool. My miscues have dropped by at least 90%, and you can get more action on the ball, too.

There's not a thing on planet earth that doesn't have a drawback, and KC is no different. It plasters chalk all over the CB, so you need to clean it regularly, but this is my only complaint.

al-capool

Silver Member
WOW, it seems to me that KAMUI producing a wonder chalk!

Seriously, I really don't want to naming particular persons or pointing with my finger on somebody! But IMO this thread is taking a little wrong turn. Mainly because of statements like these:

...for me Kamui chalk is the best bang for your buck in pool. My miscues have droped by at least 90% and you can get more action on the ball too...

...since I'm using Kamui chalk I can play with much more english, without miscue...

...with Kamui chalk...More spin - I feel I can give a little more jive on the ball. The hit feels definitely different when I using this product versus others...

...with Kamui chalk can help a player at any level improve their game...

…with Kamui chalk...I have noticed increased draw...

...with Kamui chalk...I chalked up...I broke, continued shooting the rest of the rack with the same cue, and I was able to draw back a few diamonds, stun, follow without much of any problems. For whatever it's worth, I can't get the same amount of draw with BD or Master Chalk...

etc. … etc. … etc. …

QUESTION:
To you, who mentioned these many miscues you made before: Couldn't it be possible that another reason than the chalk was (or still is) the problem of your miscues?
Are you maybe just using a too hard tip? Or could it be, (please don't get offended) that you don't really have a very straight and smooth stroke?

Well, I'm just trying to say, that even a KAMUI Chalk remains not more than a chalk and there are other good and not expensive ones around (like Blue Diamond, Gold Star etc.) with which I will play for sure at 100% as good as with a KAMUI Chalk!

I'm sorry but it won't be only a chalk, which makes you play that much better! But that's only my opinion!

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE, WHO THINKS LIKE ME?!

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to think that the Kamui chalk was all hype. I have done some very extensive testing, and the kamui chalk is a better chalk over, master , blue diamond(made by tweeten I bellieve), Predator, slivercup, .
As for the price, I don't smoke, so that alone will pay for as much chalk as I could use in a year and still be in the black. My cube has lasted more than 2 years now. Although it is getting very low now.
I can't comment on miscues numbers, as when that happens, it is mostly due to me not having a stable bridge or just messing up big time.
I brought 6 cubes, still got 5 new in packet left.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
kamui chalk is garbage, all it does is turn the cue ball from white to blue. I dont know what its made of, but it stains everything. 100+ years with no problems, I don't think fixing something that isn't broken will do anything for ur mis-cues. sry.

TheThaiger

Banned
QUESTION:
To you, who mentioned these many miscues you made before: Couldn't it be possible that another reason than the chalk was (or still is) the problem of your miscues?
Are you maybe just using a too hard tip? Or could it be, (please don't get offended) that you don't really have a very straight and smooth stroke?

Wow, you're good. I'd never thought of any of that. Thanks!

:rolleyes:

al-capool

Silver Member
Please forgive me

Yeah, you stated the bleeding obvious. ;)

Hy Thaiger,
In that case please accept my honest excuses, to have been such a wise ass!
KR from Switzerland, Roberto

Attachments

• YQZ8CAQLK52TCAKEP3NMCAO4K3AQCA2S8IBLCAS0BZJECA6DHHQECAMBRT8MCAX2PE2RCARAF3D1CA0PCIPRCA62R4FRCAM3.jpg
    YQZ8CAQLK52TCAKEP3NMCAO4K3AQCA2S8IBLCAS0BZJECA6DHHQECAMBRT8MCAX2PE2RCARAF3D1CA0PCIPRCA62R4FRCAM3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

windKnott

Registered
I had to see for myself if Kamui was any good. Got a cube and after a week I'm impressed. For my style of shooting it really lives up to all the hype. I will now say good by to Masters Green after 40+ years. Masters did a good job but Kamui for me is better. As far as $30 bucks go, big deal, it's the price of a few beers and they won't last as long as the Kamui will.