Ask The Instructor?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it was a great idea that there was a place that players can go to ask instructors questions. That's not the case here anymore. Apparently anyone can answer questions, and they do.

What's up with that? What's the difference between this place and the main forum?

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Fran

Your right I will stop posting replies in this forum. I am kinda a loud mouth sometimes. :smile:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Don't despair!

Fran:

Everyone knows who the real instructors are...I think most non-instructor folks jump into the discussion (I'm guilty of it as much as anyone) having gotten into the link from the "New" posts page, not seeing which forum it's in. I love reading what you, Scott Lee, Randy and the other REAL instructors post (I learn something really valuable at least once a week); don't let us pretentious jacka$$es run you off!

Bill

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought it was a great idea that there was a place that players can go to ask instructors questions. That's not the case here anymore. Apparently anyone can answer questions, and they do.

What's up with that? What's the difference between this place and the main forum?

fran i will answer 2 implied questions to you post
the difference between here and the main forum
are people who realy care and probably have taken lessons and want to share thier expereince
i am guilty of responding here and i not an instructor...:eek:
what i post is what i understand to be true
if im wrong i expect the instructors to correct me
if they dont then i assume i got it right:)
it would be a good i dea that reponders i dentify themselves as instructors or not so the op can take each responce accordingly
do you feel threatened that non instructors reply??
just askin
or do you feel why have an "ask the instructor " section if non instructiors reply??

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
We are all instructors of some kind anyway. Who would make the big
decision on such a matter.

Just because I have a "shingle" doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about!

randyg

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

That's a darn good question Fran. I thought something similar a long time ago. I was thinking how many instructors are there for heavens sake??

Kinda like the main forum, if someone asks for legal advice folks are willing and ready to jump right into the mix. That doesn't mean there can't be good points from all, but the title of the thread is self explanatory. Maybe some folks should wait to see what the "answers" are and then join in the discusion based on if they agree, disagree or have something else to add.

Otherwise just change the name of the thread to "ask a rail bird"" ....only kidding...... but you get my drift.....

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

randyg

Great sentence-and so true :)

But i also hear Fran- had also someday this *feeling* but Steve Jennings *stopped me nicley but firm*, lol^^

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Fran:

Everyone knows who the real instructors are...I think most non-instructor folks jump into the discussion (I'm guilty of it as much as anyone) having gotten into the link from the "New" posts page, not seeing which forum it's in. I love reading what you, Scott Lee, Randy and the other REAL instructors post (I learn something really valuable at least once a week); don't let us pretentious jacka$$es run you off!

Bill

This applies to me. That and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

:cool:

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
fran i will answer 2 implied questions to you post
the difference between here and the main forum
are people who realy care and probably have taken lessons and want to share thier expereince
i am guilty of responding here and i not an instructor...:eek:
what i post is what i understand to be true
if im wrong i expect the instructors to correct me
if they dont then i assume i got it right:)

Ditto

:cool:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't.

What's the process for becoming an instructor? Are there assessments/qualifications etc?

It depends on what country you live in and what organization you are associated with. However, the name of this forum is not 'Ask the Credentialed Instructors.' There are lots of teachers who don't have the piece of paper to go along with it. But they teach.

Instructors have the unique perspective of having interacted with hundreds and in some cases, such as myself over 20-odd years, thousands of players. We've seen all different body types, heard all different types of questions and have worked through endless different types of problems with players. We not only study the game but we also study the best way to communicate information to players. We also take care to communicate information to a particular player in the order in which our experience tells us would benefit that particular player the most.

There is some great info out there provided by people who don't teach, but that's not what this forum is about --- At least to me it's not. I think people come here with their questions to get the benefit of the experience that teachers have from interacting with and helping other players who may have similar problems to theirs.

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member

randyg

An excellent point! I learn from anyone who is willing to share an opinion. However, there are very very few people I will blindly accept an opinion from. I recently had a fellow student of the game tell me, "it looks like you're trying to manipulate the stroke." I thought about it for a few days then found what he was referring to was the fact that I grab the cue from time to time. So, I have been working towards a consistent light grip pressure and have found my stroke to be improving because of it.

My point is that everyone has the ability to observe and communicate what they see. As recipients of their information, we just have to keep in mind that their communication and diagnosing skills may not be as good as a seasoned instructor and take it for what it is worth.

Fran please do not shut down on us. Your input has helped me on many occasions as I am sure it has helped others. When I see you have posted something, I make sure I get my eyes on it!

Hope this helps...

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An excellent point! I learn from anyone who is willing to share an opinion. However, there are very very few people I will blindly accept an opinion from. I recently had a fellow student of the game tell me, "it looks like you're trying to manipulate the stroke." I thought about it for a few days then found what he was referring to was the fact that I grab the cue from time to time. So, I have been working towards a consistent light grip pressure and have found my stroke to be improving because of it.

My point is that everyone has the ability to observe and communicate what they see. As recipients of their information, we just have to keep in mind that their communication and diagnosing skills may not be as good as a seasoned instructor and take it for what it is worth.

Fran please do not shut down on us. Your input has helped me on many occasions as I am sure it has helped others. When I see you have posted something, I make sure I get my eyes on it!

Hope this helps...

I'm very familliar with advice given by non instructors. Some of it is really good. Does it belong in the Ask the Instructor forum? I say no. Why not ask your questions twice, once in the main forum and once in Ask the Instructors forum? Some players already do that. Then everyone can jump in with an opinion, and people who aren't instructors can answer your questions there.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I'm very familliar with advice given by non instructors. Some of it is really good. Does it belong in the Ask the Instructor forum? I say no. Why not ask your questions twice, once in the main forum and once in Ask the Instructors forum? Some players already do that. Then everyone can jump in with an opinion, and people who aren't instructors can answer your questions there.

Why? Because I think folks that peruse this section are a little more honest with their intent to help.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? Because I think folks that peruse this section are a little more honest with their intent to help.

Aha! Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. Okie, I happen to agree with you, but it can change very quickly if things keep on the way they're going. More and more people are jumping in to express their opinion. Before you know it, it will be the same as the main forum. This is why I started this thread. I can see it coming.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha! I just replied to a post in this section, without realizing what section I'm in. Like others said, when you click on new posts it doesnt organize them by section, or even tell you what section you are in.

That said, this is the Internet. People both knowledgable and unknowledable have the same voice and audience here. It's up to the individual to distinguish between the two.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw, this exact same topic has come up numerous times over the years in the ask the cuemaker section....

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

randyg

Thank you.

For this response, and for all the help you give here.