buying a quality cue guide

jeremynandrew

hello all, my name is jeremy and im new to this forum. I really enjoy playing pool and ive had a stick for 12 years until recently when a friend dropped it on a hard surface and the graphite shaft broke( a large crack and a chunk missing and the screw in the joint is loose and wobbles when shooting now). ive decided to purchase a new cue and am looking for information on various brands. I plan on going to a local billiards store to try various brands before making a purchase online and am wondering about various pros/cons of major brands. what are the major brands known for quality and what should I avoid? Some friends of mine who play all swear by different brands, some mcdermott, some viking, some cuetec, some predator. one friend spouted off about predator shafts being the best in the world but not recommending buying a predator cue, just the shaft. Also looking at ozone billiards, I see a huge price difference on brands... example: viking( something ive shot with before and liked) started at 160 for the low and got as high as 1000, so where does quality/technology pricing stop and decorative pricing begin on various brands? Also brands online are confusing with various codenames and letters in names with varying prices so how does one decipher different cues in a brand? Are custom made cues worth it vs a brand name cue and if so does anyone have info/reviews on an individual/s in that field. My budget isnt of concern, I just dont want a decorative high price stick, just the best technology/quality money can buy as I really enjoy playing and want something I can shoot with a very long time. Thanks for reading my long post/hunt for info and any sort of guidance or wisdom or recommended reading would be much appreciated, thank you for your time and consideration Jeremy

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hello all, my name is jeremy and im new to this forum. I really enjoy playing pool and ive had a stick for 12 years until recently when a friend dropped it on a hard surface and the graphite shaft broke( a large crack and a chunk missing and the screw in the joint is loose and wobbles when shooting now). ive decided to purchase a new cue and am looking for information on various brands. I plan on going to a local billiards store to try various brands before making a purchase online and am wondering about various pros/cons of major brands. what are the major brands known for quality and what should I avoid? Some friends of mine who play all swear by different brands, some mcdermott, some viking, some cuetec, some predator. one friend spouted off about predator shafts being the best in the world but not recommending buying a predator cue, just the shaft. Also looking at ozone billiards, I see a huge price difference on brands... example: viking( something ive shot with before and liked) started at 160 for the low and got as high as 1000, so where does quality/technology pricing stop and decorative pricing begin on various brands? Also brands online are confusing with various codenames and letters in names with varying prices so how does one decipher different cues in a brand? Are custom made cues worth it vs a brand name cue and if so does anyone have info/reviews on an individual/s in that field. My budget isnt of concern, I just dont want a decorative high price stick, just the best technology/quality money can buy as I really enjoy playing and want something I can shoot with a very long time. Thanks for reading my long post/hunt for info and any sort of guidance or wisdom or recommended reading would be much appreciated, thank you for your time and consideration Jeremy

Why not just head on down to chinamart and replace the graphite cue? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get some more helpful responses...

jeremynandrew

thought about that, havent seen another carrier of the brand cue int. in a long time in my area. thank you for the informative post, though ive never heard of chinamart:confused:

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum!

Of the production brands you listed I've owned a McDermott and a Cuetec and played with a Viking. I'd rate my Pechauer above them all, you should give them a look. OB Cues look to be nice as well. Most of the time the cues in a given line will play the same, getting fancier as they go up in price.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thought about that, havent seen another carrier of the brand cue int. in a long time in my area. thank you for the informative post, though ive never heard of chinamart:confused:

Chinamart is Walmart and buy a real cue not a graphite fishing pole. If you go to a Billiards store ask them if they will sell a cue for internet pricing.Normally that would be 20% off suggested retail.
And most cues over $300 or so are just adding more eye candy rather then quality.

jeremynandrew

Thanks for the product info kaiserbob, wish there were more people interested in giving. constructive inputs here but unfortunately the majority of pool player are usually shady creepers. I guess ill just have to try different cues till i find something comfy

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Jeremy

First why do you have Jeremy n Andrew in your user name? Are there 2 of you using the signon?

You say the money of is no concern, but everyone has a budget for a new cue. What is the max you want to spend on a cue?

Production cues are okay, some are pretty good, but Schon is the only one I would ever buy near to a production cue. All Schons play about the same, and have good quality.

If you are in the $300-500 range for a cue, I would buy a good custom Sneaky Pete. A good Sneaky Pete will play like a $1200-1500 dollar cue.
A very good value for the dollar. A cuemaker like Jim Baxter, Bob Frey, Leon Sly, or several others could make you a good SP for a good price.

I would not worry about just a decorative cue, the decorations usually don't even start until you get to a $1,000 dollars and up.

If your budget is over $500, I would definately look into getting a cue made just the way you like it. A good cuemaker can tell you what you can get for your budget, and will steer you in the right direction. Since I have had a custom cue, I will never play with anything else. In fact, I am having another one made in February.

And please, no more than 4 or 5 sentences in one paragraph. It makes reading much easier. Thank you, and welcome to the board.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the product info kaiserbob, wish there were more people interested in giving. constructive inputs here but unfortunately the majority of pool player are usually shady creepers. I guess ill just have to try different cues till i find something comfy

I guess us "shady creepers" should just keep our opinions to ourselves.
So now why don't you just go away. :eek:uttahere:

Gogafem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are basically 2 type of Viking cues in terms of playability: Ones that come with the old V Pro shaft(Which cost below 200$) and ones that come with the new Vikore shaft(Which cost above 200$). You can also get a Viking Exactshot shaft, which is more expensive. I've never tried a Viking cue, but it was one of my top considerations when I wanted a new cue, as I've heard a lot of good things about them and they are not so expensive.
As for decorations, they can be pricey... very pricey! Wrap types can also cost more. So a more expensive Viking is usually a more decorated one.

I have a Poison AR5 cue. I really love it and made a review for it if you want to check it out.

I don't see why someone wouldn't recommend a Predator butt... P3 is amazing from what I've heard.

Also you may want to consider Mezz. The Mezz Mika Immonen - 1 cue is the best cue I've ever tried.

jgobigred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly recommend Jacoby. There is a guy on here (neilhin I think) selling Jacoby hustlers for $249. Can't go wrong with a Jacoby!

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
Custom all the way

Pick a custom cue maker and call them up. You will be surprised at how approachable most are. Tell them what you like and what you can afford and they will hook you up. I have owned every brand of production cue in the book and although most were fine shooters, they just don't compare to a hand crafted cue by a true American craftsman. One try and there will be no going back.
Chris

Texaspoolplayer

Wanna be hustler
a good production cue for the money is the j pechauer jp series, I'm also a fan of cuetec and players cues for the lower priced cues.

For a more expensive cue, Jacoby, McDermitt, Pechauer pro series, and Vikings are great cues.

I have found that most cues made by the same company play pretty much the same, a $500 viking will play the same as a $1,000 viking the difference is in the details of the cue.

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying a new pool cue

The decent quality pool ques ranges from 50$ to over 3000$.The price concern is always essential in buying them.Here are some helpful tips to buy a new pool:-
*Go to the nearest poolstore and check if the brands which are making cues play well and are backed by a warranty.You can also check it online.
*The stuff which are used to make the cues.The harder the materials used,the more power shot they would have.Softer materials provide a good control.
*Check the weight of the cues.For standard designs the weight of the cues ranges from 18-21 oz.
*See the parts of the cues which includes the butt,shaft or the joints.Most people consider joints as they provide a feel to the shot.Longer, wider joints generally are longer lasting.

Mar1t1me

Registered
Cut to the chase:

Brand matters little in the end as long as there's good support should something go wrong. Practice in a smart and dedicated manner with whatever cue you choose is what makes you better, not the cue. There is NO substitute for hours and hours at the table. If you can't make shots with the cheapest cue McDermott sells, then a fancier stick ain't gonna turn you into a master. You need talent and lots of practice for that. Now, once your stroke is grooved and you know how to get around the table, a nicer cue might offer some small advantages to player who know how to get the most out of a cue, but you still probably aren't gonna beat that guy over there in the corner running out with a house cue....:wink:

Needing weight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All Custom cues DO NOT play better than all production cues!

I have owned multiple high end custom cues and not one of em played as well as my production predator!

Unfortunately Predator products are made in China or something like that.

My advice to you would be… Either purchase an OB Cue/shaft(American) and get used to playing with that or buy a Predator cue/shaft(China) or go ahead and spend the money on your fancy custom cue but get an OB shaft or predator shaft custom fitted for it!

-Gospel

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can definitely unequivocally recommend a Pechauer cue. I've had a lot of cues over the years and got a Pechauer P11 about a year ago and I can honestly say I don't see the point in getting a custom cue after getting this thing. I'm using the shaft that came with it.

americanfighter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the forum!

Of the production brands you listed I've owned a McDermott and a Cuetec and played with a Viking. I'd rate my Pechauer above them all, you should give them a look. OB Cues look to be nice as well. Most of the time the cues in a given line will play the same, getting fancier as they go up in price.

I 2nd this motion. I have had a cuetec and have played with Viking and my pachauer po2 is head and shoulders above them all.

Last edited:

Enigmaticul

Banned
Just get a Predator Roadline with a 314 or z2 end end the conversation. You have been playing with a graphite fishing pole so you probabley don't know the capabilities of a full custom cue. If you want technology that will improve your game go with a predator. Later after you lean proper technique on that predator then you can go and appreciate a Jim buss or a Sly or south west. Until then the predator can't be beat for the price and the technology you get.

My 2 cents

Mar1t1me

Registered
Bottom line....

Just make sure you are playing with some kind of LD shaft!

I'm not even sure this is absolutely necessary...I would say that conscientious practice time with the cue of choice is more important. A player can learn to play with about anything given a good tip. I have played pool in all 50 states in my half century on the planet, and have seen guys playing on all manner of equipment who ruled the room. Warped shafts, curly shafts, crappy wood......didn't matter. They knew how to make it work. That said, I enjoy a beautiful cue. Find one that works with your style of play. Can you make shots and get the cue ball where you need it? You're done. Can't? Spend money on instruction.