Viking Cue and Shaft Reviews

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
If you're in the market for a new cue, your first cue or you are military. . Send me a pm or email and let's talk about your options!

I'm looking for players who are in the market for a new cue to be part of a test group. Viking has introduced ViKORE, a new LD shaft that now comes standard with all new cues starting at $289. Special pricing will be available for this test. Only available within the US. Send your inquiries to WebbsBilliards@gmail.com

Vikore_ad.jpg

Last edited:

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd be more interested in mating a ViKore shaft to an older viking for comparison with the original shaft

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a viking thats about 10 years old and plays sensational with
the original shaft which is over 4ounces, dark and stiff as hell.Its got the QR joint.Can I just get the shaft to fit on the butt?
Are you looking for 10 customers or 10 guinea pigs to try these shafts and give you an honest review?Thanks

prelude_paul

Registered
I will be the first to review. I volunteered to be one of the 10 guinea pigs for Webbs Billiards.

First, Mr Webb has been awesome to work with. knowledgeable, straight talking, and a very nice discount from retail. I recommend him fully. Second, I got a great discount, but there's no "arrangement" to give a good review or whatever.

Third, I was a Viking bigot before this, and I'm still a Viking bigot. This makes 4 that I now own. Prior to this new one, my primary playing cue was an F-74. Now, here's what I got. I got a Viking V123K-WH, in 20oz. Just a dang handsome cue. There was a discount, so I indulged.

Now preliminaries are out of the way. Here's my review.

Wrap - Like all/most Vikings, the grip is linen wrap. When I first got it, the linen wrap was slicker than I expected, a bit disconcertingly so. But after a couple of weeks of usage it seems to have tacked up nicely, or perhaps I just got used to it. I never had a brand new cue before, perhaps that is just the way it is with new linen wraps.

Balance - Second, this cue is very evenly balanced, as opposed to being a little bit butt-heavy. I hear that a knock on the Vikings is that they are butt-heavy. One might argue that my F-74 cue is a bit that way. This new one certainly is not.

Tip - Comes with a tip called Tiger Everest. Laminated, reminds me of a Moori. Works for me so far.

Shaft - this is the $2 question. This new Vikore low-deflection shaft is what they are putting out there to review. My opinion so far - it's a pretty good entry into the LD space.

I'm a fairly low-experience player, I've just been going hard at it for 2 years now. Starting to move up in the ranks, but I'm by no means a pool-hall stud. I'm a mid-high 4 in APA 8-ball. So calculate that into the worth of my opinion. I'm just now getting at a level with cue-ball control that my left and right english are pretty fair. Not good, but fair. I recently shot an afternoon with a 314 shaft, so until now that's been my only go-round with an LD shaft. That afternoon with the 314 was well-nigh life-altering. I realized at that point that I was doing some right things with English, but my stock shaft was giving up accuracy and consistency.

Which brings me to the Vikore shaft, the one that came on my new V123K. If it's any less good than the 314, I couldn't tell it. I suppose that a very high-skilled player might discern better. I can only tell what I see. It is very tight, very true, very sweet with the English. high, low, left, right. I get much better response on a draw than I did (I'm having to adjust for that.... good problem to have), and I'm notably more accurate with a full tip or more of English than with a stock shaft, and less prone to miscue. And by the way, maybe it's just my perception, but it feels more trustworthy on full-ball hits as well.

After playing with this offline (not in league play) for a week, I did the unthinkable. I switched main playing cues in the latter part of an APA session. The cue has been a little bit of an adjustment, but in my assessment I'm already playing better with it. So far with the new cue? I'm 1-0.

Right now, I heartily recommend the Vikore shaft.

Next review, because I think somebody up thread was asking - for fun, I'm going to mate the new Vikore shaft to the butt of my F-74, my previous main playing cue. Then I'll report that here.

Last edited:

bruno1871

Vikore Shaft!!!

I have to agree with prelude_paul working with Mr. Webb was great and very professional. My first Viking cues was stolen from me back around 2008, had the cue for about 4 year so in 2009 got a V120K a very nice cue. With the help from Mr. Webb I decided to go a step up from my current cue and get the V151K-18oz 12.5mm shaft and the Tiger Everst tip.
This is my first review of the this cue with the new shaft. So far the cue is awesome it feels firm, tight and my control so far seems much better then the the standard shaft I have from my other viking cue.
I highly recommend the new shaft. I will be back after a few week of playing. if you have any question please let me know and I will try to answer them the best I can

sjko

Testing vikore shaft cue

Are you still looking for testers of this cue? If so, I would be interested. Thanks

ballston

Registered
This is a review of one of the new Vikores. First, a little backgound. I've been playing in an APA 8 ball division for four years, most of the time gravitating between SL 5-6; I'm currently a 6. My old stick is a Viking F-69, which I got in 2005. There's nothing wrong with the old one; I just got the seven year itch I guess, and decided to take the plunge with the offer from Webb's Billiards, and opted for the V156K, 13" tip.

Review: I really like the new stick, which arrived about two weeks ago. The artwork is is really nice. The cue feels lighter than my old one, although how that could be I can't say since both are 19 oz. To be honest, I have had no experience with LD shafts, so I can't say how the 156K compares to a 314 or Lucasi. In practicing I did try a little test--hitting the cue ball with left and right English from the head spot to a far corner. Each time the OB held its line and landed in the pocket. (I'll leave it to experts out there to say what this proves.) On the first league night with the 156K, I played a series of practice games that really went well. (My captain didn't put me up in a real match.) I was very accurate with English and the CB went to position zones I might have had trouble reaching with my old stick (which is now my break cue). I also noticed greater draw for the buck with the 156K; I've all too often had trouble with draw previously. Now if anything, I've found myself over-drawing shots. But that's OK, it will just take time to adjust.

I finally played my first match this week with the 156K, and wish I could say I won, but alas, I lost--to an SL 7, so no discgrace there. Still, I was happy with the results with the new stick, as a I nailed a number of position plays I probably would've had trouble making with my old stick. All in all, this is a very good deal I think from Webb's and Viking. I'm glad I took them up on it.

Last edited:

theddy

cue rattles

I odrderd a viking cue last month at seyberts arrived in Nov.29. Just tried using it last weekend and there is a rattle in the shaft. it is very annoying eveytime i aim and bump it into my hand i hear the rattle. it's like inside the shaft there is something that is moving or not glued. Now 'im in the process of returning it for a pechauer jp-l series or a schon cx73. not sure which one is better but for sure that my first first viking cue impression is not very good.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I received this review via email today from Randy at Springer Machining, Inc.

I've had enough time to play with this new cue now to give it an accurate review.

First let me say thank you to "Webb's Billiards" for their service and a great deal on this cue.

Secondly, This new "VIKING" pool cue with the new "VIKORE" shaft is great!!!!

I purchased the "Viking" model V105K-SM, it comes with the new "Vikore" low deflection shaft and a "Tiger Everest" tip. This is the best set up I've ever used in a pool cue. The linen wrap give the cue a comfortable gripping area even when it gets really hot in the room. The "Vikore" shaft and "Everest" tip combination together give me better cue ball control than I've experienced before. I can now use some pretty extreme english and draw without the worry of a miscue. It's so improved over my last cue that I've had to get used to it in order to not over draw the ball. I am able better to place the cue ball where I want it more consistently after some practice. I've made a few great shots that I would never have been able to hit with my old cue. I've tried both cues side by side setting up difficult shots. There is no comparison. The "Viking" with the "Vikore" shaft rocks! This "Viking" cue has very nice solid "feel" as well when striking the ball. This allows for a better judgement of the force needed for a particular shot and following cue ball placement. Cue ball control and placement very much improved with this new "Viking" cue and it feels great in my hands too. My game is improving without question with my new cue. Overall very happy with the cue, I would recommend it to anyone.

Thank you "Viking" for a much improved shaft and a beautiful pool cue.

Thank you again "Webb's Billiards" for a great deal and good service. You've been great through this process as well.

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pry it from my cold dead hands

Background: I'm an APA player with 5 or so years under my belt. I've generally stuck with my Meucci but I've used a few other brands for league play and poked around with whatever my teammates had just for the feel. After trying my captains 314-2 and z I quickly wanted my own ld shaft.

I ordered a 11.75 with a kamui black soft tip and it is clearly superior to my black dot. I'm using it with my 9710 butt and that's where it'll stay.

English is improved: I'm getting more action with less effort. I've only used it on a 7ft diamond so far, but It deflects so little I can go the length of the table and still get action.

I can't see a difference between the Vikore and the 314-2. I'm going to give my captain the pepsi challenge and see what he says.

Speed: This may be more of an effect of the Kamui soft tip but it shoots very soft. Very soft. I happen to enjoy this but I suspect most players wouldn't. Then again I think the majority of players shoot entirely too hard the majority of the time. If I had to imagine a problem I could see it being an issue trying to play 2 or 3 rails for position on a 9ft table with slow cloth.

Overall: My accuracy is up. My english is up. My cue ball control is up. This was entirely worth what I paid and had I been given this shaft to play with first then told the retail price I have a feeling I would have paid full retail for it. I usually am very suspicious of "rave reviews" and I've read and heard from all the nay sayers about ld shafts, but in my case I couldn't be more satisfied with my Vikore.

prelude_paul

Registered
Time for my second review, as promised upthread. It's a V123K, 19 oz.

Now I've had the cue for 2-1/2 months now, played probably 15 APA matches, including 3 playoff and tri-cup matches. I'd estimate my practice time at 12-15 hours every week. So I'd say I have blood on my sword and can make a more thorough assessment.

Also, I played several matches with the Vikore shaft mated to my previous playing cue, a Viking F-74 from the previous generation (mid-late 00's as far as I can tell). Short version - that worked out extremely well, but I've switched back to using the new cue intact.

To recap my personal story, I'm a mid-to-high 4 in APA 8-ball, been playing league play for almost 2 years, and a guy who studies and practices and has high ambitions. Just now gaining some skills in cue ball movement around the table, and the proper execution of left/right english.

Here goes: the V123K (gorgeous, by the way, but that's what you get when you spend the bucks, all that ivory and stuff) is really nicely balanced, does not feel heavy. The linen wrap suits me, but that's a personal choice. The shaft is pro-taper, but it's a bit fatter than the very slender stock Viking shaft. It turns out that the slightly fatter shaft suits my fingers and bridging better. I'm going to go with the Vikore shaft being "partially" LD. Couple of my buddies shot with it - one has a Predator, one has an OB1 - and their assessment was that it's far more LD than stock but not LD to the level of these others.

Now to me, the difference between the Vikore and the stock shaft of my F-74 is dramatic. Nothing short of dramatic. I've been working on controlling my english. Any idiot can hit left or right of center, and top and bottom. Lots of amateur bangers can table-length draw. Using them effectively to get what you want is very much a matter of practice and study - and a cue that shoots true. The last year I have been working on it, but only when I got this LD shaft have fruits of my labor started to pay off tangibly.

I could regale you with tales of success in recent games, including high-pressure playoff matches. I have such tales. But that sort of thing is anecdotal. You know, well I tried Grecian Formula 16, and now I'm a babe magnet.......... Suffice it to say that I assassinated 2 playoff opponents considered nasty, nasty 4's (i.e., high end of my level) who came in fully confident they would beat me.

And I am going to give a fair amount of the credit to this cue.

Powdertrack

jdwilling
ViKore Shaft Review

I have been playing Predator Z2 shafts on my Joss cue for a few years. I've been very happy with them. I have been wanting a sneaky Pete. As you may or may not know, an actual plain Jane sneaky Pete is hard to come by these days. Most manufacturers decorate them so much that it defeats the purpose.
Anyway, the Viking V117 was perfect. Wood to wood joint and nothing fancy AND with a LD shaft. I received it today and I am impressed. I noticed this thread after I ordered and had to comment.
I could not notice a measurable difference in deflection between my Z2s. But the thing that is very noticeable is the solidness of hit. This shaft hits solid like my stock Joss cues or any other custom cue but without the mass amounts of deflection. So far, I love this stick. I am not getting quite the spin that I am getting with my Z2s but I believe that is due to the tips. I have Kamui black soft on the Z2s and I ordered this cue with a Kamui black medium. The slight decrease in level of spin is easily compensated for and I have no reservations about breaking with this shaft, solid.
Congrats to Viking, a very impressive shaft, love the solid hit without the deflection.