Tell me what you think

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I was inspired to post my own video to get some feedback.

As it should be easily seen, I have my own table, an 8' Olhausen with 860 HR cloth. I have time to practice about an hour a day in the evenings and probably 10 hours on the weekends.

I have hit a plateau and been there quite a while. I quit playing for about a year looking for the house and then "settling in". I started banging around balls at age 10, but became serious about 17 years ago. During those years I have had a few gaps, totaling about 8 years. 4 during college and 3 at a Tier 1 automotive supplier, and the recent year break already mentioned - I didn't have time to do much more than just hit balls from time to time during any of those breaks.

I feel I have hit a plateau. After watching myself, I feel I need to reduce PSR variation but am having trouble doing so. I also know I need to lose weight (big objective for 2013) in order to get down on the ball a bit better.

http://youtu.be/dB9Nj8jhBtU

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a strong player ---Very impressive, and you have the potential to be even stronger.

I can see how your interest comes and goes. When you start to lose interest, you don't focus and you miss. I didn't say that you lose focus. You just don't bother to focus. When you get interested again, you run out like a champion.

I think you're right in that your weight is bothering you. I believe if you get your health in order, you will find new interest in the game and you will shoot like a champion. It's all there, and I don't say stuff like that to many people.

You are a naturally fast player. Yes, you can slow down during certain situations that require more thought, but I believe you will do that naturally once you start to feel good about yourself.

I wouldn't get too clinical about your game if I were you. You have a nice rhythm around the table. It's natural. Many people wish they had that.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
Wow thank you for the compliments. I appreciate your feedback immensely!

I think the focus comment is very perceptive. This practice session occurred after a long day at work. I have friends who want me to teach them but until I have someone look at me, I didn't want to go down the road of teaching anyone (other than pointers, and strategy). Even when not fatigued I think I fight that inconsistent focus on each shot.

I have been somewhat self-conscious about the open bridge but I truly feel the open bridge feels natural and it doesn't obstruct my cue-ball view. Also my finger dexterity is not great so they actually hurt a bit when I try to get a stable closed bridge and this has been the case since I was 21 (17 yrs ago).

For some reason my break has become erradic. I have Charley Bonds break-rak that I practice with from time to time. I am probably over-breaking causing the sporatic hit and the cue ball flying, but even when I hit the rack solid I am not making balls as frequently as I have in the past.

To address the weight issue, I bought an elliptical for the family for Christmas. I will devote 30 minutes of my daily practice time to the elliptical and consider it "Billiards Conditioning". I can probably continue with the hour a day along with the 30 minute workout.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I have watched your vid.

How much cleaner would you like to make your game?
How much change are you willing to make?

Even from here I cam help if you want help.
randyg

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched your vid.

How much cleaner would you like to make your game?
How much change are you willing to make?

Even from here I cam help if you want help.
randyg

Wow you better jump on this bud. Hell I hardly know anything and can help you imagine what a guy like Randy can do for your game. Would be nice Randy if he wants the help if you could post on here so maybe some of us could pick up a thing or two. Great offer.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
Wow you better jump on this bud. Hell I hardly know anything and can help you imagine what a guy like Randy can do for your game. Would be nice Randy if he wants the help if you could post on here so maybe some of us could pick up a thing or two. Great offer.

I have exchanged private messages with Randy today. I intend to work with either him or Scott Lee. I initially reached out to Scott because he is much closer to me proximity wise. I have not yet received comment from Scott. I will update pertinent information with Randy or Scott's approval.

It is exciting to have some interest! Thank you for that :)

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Working with a good instructor closely will do you a world of good. I'm tempted to recommend a new product I just got hold of to smooth your stroke while NOT interfering with your natural loop in your stroke... you can always check in with me later. Thanks for sharing the video.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...Nice video, and you set up the camera so that we could get a good look, from an instructor's viewpoint. I would agree with much of what Fran said, but I can also see the same things Randy is seeing as well. I watched all three games, and it seems like on the shots you miss or scratch on, your cue is up in the air a lot. That is not necessarily because you use an open bridge. There's a lot of shoulder involvement in your swing, which doesn't necessarily contribute to missing. It just makes the timing more difficult. The elbow drop is a choice, not a necessity, as you showed on several nice shots...even some power strokes. I would agree with the "attitude" thing. You can see kind of a "laisse-faire" vibe coming from you...kind of like you're bored. I can see a few things that would make you a stronger player, as well as a superior teacher. I'd love to come see you.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
Scott,

Thank you for the feedback!

When I was starting to get better in my early 20s my dad would also notice the shoulder movement. I think I often forget to focus on that. I don't know why that movement is there, it is definitely not by choice.

I admit to not being as focused, prior to shooting this video I felt in a hurry to record it an upload it. I was more focused on getting it done, than what I was doing! Taking a while to get intoa "pool mood" has been an issue for me however, especially if I don't get a good break, which I did not get in any of the three (3) games posted.

I believe I need to record some more this weekend and post, it just takes so long for these to upload. Now that you have seen me, I am ready to call!

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
The pleasure was all mine! I practiced a couple hours tonight focusing on the finish without the shaft raising up on the table. I can already tell there will be a consistency improvement. This will certainly address the lack of focus issue.

For others following this thread, pay attention to the video, at 1:32 (kick shot) the cue really comes upward after contact. Contrast this to 2:16 where the shaft stays near the table. This is resultant of a shoulder drop that introduced unnecessary variables.

It is incredible the inconsistency that was there, I never noticed and you and Randy picked it up QUICK. very impressive indeed.

I too am looking forward to a lesson!

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The pleasure was all mine! I practiced a couple hours tonight focusing on the finish without the shaft raising up on the table. I can already tell there will be a consistency improvement. This will certainly address the lack of focus issue.

For others following this thread, pay attention to the video, at 1:32 (kick shot) the cue really comes upward after contact. Contrast this to 2:16 where the shaft stays near the table. This is resultant of a shoulder drop that introduced unnecessary variables.

It is incredible the inconsistency that was there, I never noticed and you and Randy picked it up QUICK. very impressive indeed.

I too am looking forward to a lesson!

Go back and watch your vid. Freeze yourself a 3:30-3:31, tell me what you see.

Merry Christmas,
randyg

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
Go back and watch your vid. Freeze yourself a 3:30-3:31, tell me what you see.

Merry Christmas,
randyg

hmmm, my elbow swings out. Interesting, I did that when I bowled in high school as well. I would tuck a towel in my arm pit and consciously keep it tucked until release.

I have worked on what I mentioned and have improvements. This one will be more difficult to control.

Thank you for the observation sir!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
One thing I came away with watching the video is that you are a big guy....

and I am not making jokes... I am 6'2" after a chiro visit these days....

The reason I point this out is that you are letting your straight bridge arm establish your setup which is great for consistency and ease of setup but pretty bad for sight and precision since it's also sight based....

The farther away you are from the cueball with your eyes the easier it is to lose your sight line or let your eyes cross you up.....

I'd try maybe a 45 degree angle to your bridge with your forearm and I think you will find yourself about a foot closer with your head positioning.... This will help in aiming long and it should get you off of the very end of the cue...

The eyes get tired like anything else in the body... Making them work less and being able to focus tighter are both going to be very beneficial to your game.... It will especially help with your break...

Chris

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I thought I would post an update. This coming weekend, I will be under the instruction of Mr Lee. I will post more observations. I am doubly excited because I will join the ranks of PBIA instructors at the conclusion of the weekend.

It has been very interesting getting responses from the experts in billiard instruction and I am very eager to begin promoting pool in such a manner. I have already begun paying closer attention to players and noticed very subtle issues that I previously would have overlooked.

As far as the bending of the arm, I can see the upswing, as I am closer to the ball. I feel unstable as a result so I think it will be something that will take a lot of time to incorporate, if I can. I definitely can see the value in compacting my stance.

Thank you for all the feedback thus far.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
I thought I would post an update. This coming weekend, I will be under the instruction of Mr Lee. I will post more observations. I am doubly excited because I will join the ranks of PBIA instructors at the conclusion of the weekend.

It has been very interesting getting responses from the experts in billiard instruction and I am very eager to begin promoting pool in such a manner. I have already begun paying closer attention to players and noticed very subtle issues that I previously would have overlooked.

As far as the bending of the arm, I can see the upswing, as I am closer to the ball. I feel unstable as a result so I think it will be something that will take a lot of time to incorporate, if I can. I definitely can see the value in compacting my stance.

Thank you for all the feedback thus far.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
That's interesting.

Mr. Lee invites you on 12-21-12 & you'll be a PBIA instructor by the end of the day on 1-6-13.

Do I have that right or did I misunderstand you?

Regards,

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's correct. It is a three day course to learn how to be an effective instructor. At the conclusion of the course there will be testing, which must be passed to become certified.

Scott Lee

That's interesting.

Mr. Lee invites you on 12-21-12 & you'll be a PBIA instructor by the end of the day on 1-6-13.

Do I have that right or did I misunderstand you?

Regards,

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is neither easy or simple. It's a lot of hard work...but the real work begins afterwards. That said, I suspect Steve will have no problems, from the conversations we have had, and will make a fine teacher. God knows we need folks like him (and lots more of them), with all the misinformation out there...not to mention 4 million avid poolplayers right here in the USA. Not all of them will pursue instruction, but given the opportunity, a significant percentage will (1% is still 40,000 active players...defined as people who play at least once a week).

Scott Lee

Thanks for the info.

I did not know that it was that easy, simple & quick to become a certified instructor.

Best Wishes,