LETS-Talk-Mezz- WX700

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I have done a search yes and have not found much on it, I just purchased one and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. This is the newest version of the WD700 I'm not talking about the wx900 or wd700.

So lets get to it how does this shaft preform with the stock kamui brown tip on it, and has anyone changed the setup on the shaft? Mine is a wavy joint shaft but I'm having it changed to my cue makers custom 3/8-10, so don't bother with info if you use a piloted shaft as the shaft would feel totally different.

Here is a little background on me and what aftermarket shafts I've tried. Classic 314, 314'2, Not really a fan of the feel. OB classic, and CP, both OB's only one I was OK with was the normal classic, I've also tried the tigerXpro It was an ok shaft but felt kind of cheap. I'm a huge fan of conventional shafts and I hear Mezz makes an amazing product that is not laminated therefor gives more feel but still have LD properties.

So let me know what your experience has been with the WX700.

-Drew

Update Oct, 3, 2014

Shaft is fantastic if anyone hasn't tried one I highly recommend it, nice stiff shaft density is great makes a awesome ping. Probably end up changing the tip soon to a Zan soft just cuz I want to try one out, nothings wrong with the medium kamui brown on it I actually like it a lot so far I just want to try the Zan like I said.

FWI: For anyone who plays with a Custom cue with a modified 3/8-10 pin It will fit nice and snug tight on the Mezz wavy joint I'm proof.

I thought because the Mezz wavy was closer to a radial pin and because it has a unique 2 thread pattern I was going to have my cue maker ( Darren Hill, of Hills cues ) re drill plug and retag his threads especially being he cuts his own custom 3/8-10 modified radial pitch thread, This was not the case as soon as I got the shaft I screwed it right on feels nice and tire with no loose space. I'm no expert but I believe this would not include original 3/8-10 pins the relieve area and threads pitch are slightly different such as (McDermott 3/8-10)

-Drew

Update Oct,6,2014

I got and installed my Zan premium soft tip and wow I have a new favorite tip, it dent feel to soft like most soft tips it plays like a dream. Keep you all posted on how if feel threw the break in time and in the next month.

-Drew

Nov,17,2014

Ok lets start with the shaft. I've been playing with it for over a month now and will say I'm much more comfortable and adjusted to the shaft than I originally was. I decided to use my glove consistantly for the first time in my pool life, the reason being the shaft direct from the factory is kind of rough and porous. With that being said it got fairly dirty with oils, dirt, grime, and chalk from extensive play. Brought it to my cue maker {Darren Hill (HillsCues)} today, and told him the issues I was having with the shaft becoming grimy and sticky and needing to use my glove all the time. He said no problem; cleaned it up and burnished the heck out of it, now its as smooth as any custom cue makers shaft. You see most custom cue makers or repair men take the time to properly smooth a shaft. I guess you can't realistically expect mass production to have the human touch. No disrespect intended. One more thing that started to bother me with the shaft was how thick the taper was at the butt end. When doing long strokes with either an open or closed bridge I found my hand getting stuck and it affected accuracy when following through. I had him sand down the clear further down the shaft and take some of the back (meat) off the shaft. Good news is he did it to perfection not sacrificing stiffness for comfortability. This is now my dream shaft. I am hooked.

So thats my update on the WX700, ask questions freely

ZAN tip update!

Ok it's been over a month since my last update on my Zan premium soft.... It's still great, it hits amazing and I even ordered another one off of Marc (our fellow AZ'r). Thanks Marc!

Problems? Not really, typical glazing after a week or so after extensive play but no biggy, I just bring some of the fibers up with a Gator grip. I have miscued, but I blame that on me not chalking as often as I should, and attempting to juice the ball with too much english when I don't need to. You see, I'm extremely used to a 13mm or 12.75mm tip; not the new 12.5 MEZZ WX700. So I'm still learning how to adjust, but I love the new shaft and tip either way :thumbup:.

Something new? Not for now Maybe try the new Zan Hybrid Max sometime in the future, but for now I'm happy with the Premium soft.

Any questions just ask Via PM or on the thread :thumbup:

-Drew

Last edited:

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feel would be a traditional one piece shaft, deflection would be close to an old 314 shaft.:)

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. I have wd700 and wx700. Wx700 has a harder hit feel because of the new ferrule.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best tip i have used for wd700 is 10 ton pressed brunswick. You can buy that tip in japan. Wx700 any medium tip would be fine. So far for all the mezz shafts i had the best for me is pressed brunswick. They are consistent and great for mezz cues. The original moori medium was quite nice too but hard to find nowadays. If you like layered go for g2 M or zan medium.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
The best tip i have used for wd700 is 10 ton pressed brunswick. You can buy that tip in japan. Wx700 any medium tip would be fine. So far for all the mezz shafts i had the best for me is pressed brunswick. They are consistent and great for mezz cues. The original moori medium was quite nice too but hard to find nowadays. If you like layered go for g2 M or zan medium.

Ok so the tip you play with is almost like a milk dud made from an elk master except no milk? Brunswick tips are chalk impregnated softer tips to start with right? I have some killer milk duds and happen to like non layered tips, Ive had a G2 but they seem to glaze pretty easy so I junked it never tried a Zan though I hear Mezz signed with them as a distributer and some other layered tip.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick blue Diamond is thicker. Will probably play closer with elk master 14mm. Try your milk dud if it's too hard switch it to blue diamond.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Brunswick blue Diamond is thicker. Will probably play closer with elk master 14mm. Try your milk dud if it's too hard switch it to blue diamond.

So what didn't you like or like about the Zan? Maintenance, sound, playability? I've been kind of wanting to try out a softer tip just to see how it feels.

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what didn't you like or like about the Zan? Maintenance, sound, playability? I've been kind of wanting to try out a softer tip just to see how it feels.
I like zan tip just got used to the feel and consistency of single layered tips. I can adjust quickly table to table.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Shaft is fantastic if anyone hasn't tried one I highly recommend it, nice stiff shaft density is great makes a awesome ping. Probably end up changing the tip soon to a Zan soft just cuz I want to try one out, nothings wrong with the medium kamui brown on it I actually like it a lot so far I just want to try the Zan like I said.

-Drew

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the WX700 as well now, and had the WD700 before. Agree with dgem, hit is slightly harder because of new ferrule/construction but still very similar.

Love the shaft, feels like a more traditional shaft than the other LD's, although for me the OB Classic is close, that was my previous shaft and my current backup, can switch back and forth with minimal effort.

As for tips, the Kamui brown wasn't bad, but replaced it with Kamui Black Clear Soft, which plays like a medium. I cut 2 layers off to eliminate some of the early spongy feel and plays great. Have also tried a Wizard, that's a little harder but still feels nice, may try that next. Standard Everest hits well on the shaft too. All based on personal preference of course.

Scott

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
FWI: For anyone who plays with a Custom cue with a modified 3/8-10 pin It will fit nice and snug tight on the Mezz wavy joint I'm proof.

I thought because the Mezz wavy was closer to a radial pin and because it has a unique 2 thread pattern I was going to have my cue maker ( Darren Hill, of Hills cues ) re drill plug and retag his threads especially being he cuts his own custom 3/8-10 modified radial pitch thread, This was not the case as soon as I got the shaft I screwed it right on feels nice and tire with no loose space. I'm no expert but I believe this would not include original 3/8-10 pins the relieve area and threads pitch are slightly different such as (McDermott 3/8-10)

-Drew

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear that you like the shaft :smile:
If you are considering smaller diameter shafts. I highly recomend the Mezz WX900.
The same great feel as WX700, but lower deflection and 12mm tip diameter.
Zan also have a new premium soft tip. I'm going to order some today.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Nice to hear that you like the shaft :smile:
If you are considering smaller diameter shafts. I highly recomend the Mezz WX900.
The same great feel as WX700, but lower deflection and 12mm tip diameter.
Zan also have a new premium soft tip. I'm going to order some today.

Yes I know thats the exact tip I ordered Im excited to get it on the shaft because it seems the kamui medium brown is a little hard for how easy this shaft already moves the cue ball.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I got and installed my Zan premium soft tip and wow I have a new favorite tip, it dent feel to soft like most soft tips it plays like a dream. Keep you all posted on how if feel threw the break in time and in the next month.

-Drew

Techstepper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the wx900 a good shaft for beginners? I heard Predators z2 is tough for cue ball control. I'm curious about the wx900, because I just ordered an Axi and can upgrade the shaft for a small fee. Thnx

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
I'm familiar with the WX900, But I hear it is close in feel to the WX700 as it is not carbon cored like the alfa and hybrid shaft's that Mezz offers. The 900 is 12mm and has a conical taper. The 700 is 12.5mm and has more of a pro taper.

The main thing that you will get out of a WX900 instead of the prdatorZ is better feel and better stiffness.

Hope this helps

-Drew

Techstepper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. I now think of keeping the Wx700 and not upgrading to a wx900, because it might spin a bit too much for my comfort. Im relatively new to the game and think the Wx700 suits my skills better.

ajie

Registered
I've been using WD700 for quite some time..just curious, what is the main different with WD700?