My thoughts on how Shane can improve.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key to improvement for Shane lies in not needing to win so badly.

Wanting to win is one thing but needing to win takes pressure to a whole other level. It is this "need" that effects your performance when it comes down to the wire, or when things dont go your way, etc.

It's time for another azb favorite... Satori's dating analogy to stress my point. Follow along closely and you will get what Im saying.

If you come at a girl with want then she loves that... if you come with need then you can forget it.

Just the mindset alone improves your game 1000%. Im going to tell you the trick on how to do this. You have to 100% value yourself no matter if you win or lose. If success becomes all that matters then your performance will suffer.

To understand this lets examine confidence and self esteem and the difference between them. If you are confident then you believe that success is automatic. It is easy to approach a girl who is giving you eye contact and smiling, etc., in pool it is also easy to play with confidence stay composed when you know the guy cant beat you. But what about playing a tight match against an opponent who also plays like a god and this match is being viewed around the world and will go down in history? Or for this lesson Ill continue with the analogy of dating... approaching a 10 who dates pro athletes, ceo's, powerful politicians... and she has shown you zero interest... how do you approach her and stay composed and work some magic? The secret lies in your self esteem. You have to value yourself no matter what happens and only then can you want instead of need. Its like this. If you had the task of giving away $1,000,000 to a beautiful girl... would you feel bad if she didnt take it? If she said that money was the root of all evil and she didnt want it... it would not phase you because you see the value in the money. You would simply walk over to the next beautiful girl and offer her the money. There is no need only want. Make sense?

It is the same thing with pool. If you feel as if you need to win. Then you are going to get tight when your confidence is not at an all time high. But if you feel 100% like you are going to be ok no matter what... win or lose... then you will relieve a lot of that stress that comes at the most inoppertune times. It aint easy, in fact its impossible to completely do this, but it becomes easier if your life has balance.

Everyones self esteem can fluctuate and Shane probably has great self esteem most of the time but sometimes I think his desire to be the best is not only what got him so good but also the thing that holds him back and keeps him slightly below Ko or Wu at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Yeah Shane played pretty badly. It was evident that he needed to win or he would have played much better. Or not so much.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• 777119085_orig.jpg
    777119085_orig.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,126

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe if we stop pressuring the guy so much then he could just relax and win "when it's his turn to win" and stop possibly feeling like the weight of the world is on his shoulder waiting to nit pick at when he lost "this time" although coming "SECOND" and shutting down two killers "BACK TO BACK" in the same even.

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
so if a man wants a woman to need him, then he lacks confidence?
as for the self-inflicted stress theory, does the "boxing sex rule" apply to pool?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except every single professional pool player NEEDS to win (or at least cash high enough).

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
There is nobody on this site that can or should be tweeking Shanes game. The man is in the top 5 in the world. Are top 1, 2, 3, and 4 on here, if so...who are they? This place is getting to be the biggest pool joke of all. Johnnyt

9ball101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's need for improvement.

I really hope this thread is a joke. Really. Who are you. Shane's life coach? Some people's children these days.

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this IS at the very least dumbest thread of the month if not longer...who the f... are you to bring up this kids psyche?and talking about picking up women? really...get outta your parents basement and go win a few us opens and derby cities and then come back and tell us whats wrong with someone else.is safe to assume youre jerging off to the poster of farah fawcett from 1975?
i know you will retort with "i get laid" or im married and of course you dont miss a trick but really..this was a thread that didnt need to get started

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Once again, some banger thinks he can enhance a pro's game with his knowledge. Are you a mind reader? I only ask because you seem to know if Shane wants to win or needs to win. How could you possibly know this?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really hope this thread is a joke. Really. Who are you. Shane's life coach? Some people's children these days.

I appreciate cerebral discourse, but I think the OP is reading too much into this whole
issue.

I believe that SVB is doing just fine. SVB didn't lose on account of talent. It's just that
Ko's mental game came thru when it needed to.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Satori,

I know what you mean.

One has to LOVE competition, not necessarily winning when it's rather easy, but REAL competition, & then one actually has to THRIVE on IT & 'WANT' IT.

Take wide receivers in football for the last play of a game & the Team needs that TD Catch. Some hope & pray that their number is not called while others are lobbying hard for their number to be called so that they can get the opportunity to accept the challenge & then deliver by making the catch.

Play the game not the situation. If one gives their best effort at ALL times then their is no difference when there is what other's perceive as pressure.

Jack Nicklaus & Tom Watson's Duel in the Sun at the British open... Jack says to Tom, 'This is what it's all about isn't it?' & Watson answers, ' You bet it is!'. Or was it the other way around? Doesn't matter as they both THRIVED on REAL competition.

Last edited: