Lou Butera vs Masaru Hanatani

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Lou Butera

I was offered some great advice from Lou in reference to me Straight Pool game, never forgot the words of wisdom either.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Wow, I'm watching this and enjoying it very much. I credit Mr. Butera with getting me into this game seriously, though through video only! I used to own a video game called Virtual Pool Hall, where he demonstrated several trick shots. He had one he called the "Canoga Park Curve" which was essentially a big masse. I became fascinated with pool and that kind of shot in particular and as soon as I was ready I practised my masses religiously. I even got help from a carom player to replicate that shot and similar ones .I'm still very good at them, from that early practise and intensive focus, I just loved that shot and wanted to be able to do it so badly. In that time I was watching video of Keith McReady and others as well, but I think the trickshots with Mr. Butera is what started me on the journey.

The video that started my pool journey:
https://youtu.be/k4awgTZ_hnw?t=76

Later I found some footage of Mr. Butera playing straight pool, but in all of those he was way past his prime, though still a force to be reconed with. This is the earliest footage I've seen, and wow is it ever good. I love how he plays, he thinks so quickly, yet correctly! He makes pool fun to watch!

Last edited: