Jump handle

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Should jump cue handles be tapered or straight? I am building my first for a customer
Thanks,
Dave

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Should jump cue handles be tapered or straight? I am building my first for a customer
Thanks,
Dave

I always make mine straight with 3 finger grooves, I think they are easier to handle and jump better than tapered IMO.

ldmitchell

Registered
Here is a picture of a jump handle I made. It is tapered with multiple finger indentations. The handle feels pretty good when using a dart stroke.

Attachments

• thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a taper that opens up quickly in the last 3" :)

Mario

Attachments

• IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 258

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Thanks guys, 3 responses, and 3 different approaches...LOL My customer just asked to have it 6" longer than the standard 12", so I am making it so it can break down into 2 pieces, mainly due to pool case restrictions. Going with a taper, and a .850 joint dia.
Hoping to finish it in the next couple days, when I do I will post pics.
Thanks again,
Dave

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's one from several years ago with a 6 inch ebony extension for longer jumps and a 12" handle for shorter jumps. The thumb grooves are made easily with a round bottom(round nose) bit.

wcXWOaH.jpg

BId56vg.jpg

Last edited:

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can you show some details about a round bottom bit and how its used to make those large thumb groves?

The bit is used in the router held on the cross slide. While the handle or piece is spinning you cut the grooves by running the bit straight into the piece to desired depth, width is a result of how wide a bit you use.

The smaller grooves were cut using a parting tool to desired depth.

Hope that makes sense.