Do You Have an Internal Monologue?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently read an article that was incredibly surprising to me -- that not every human being has the ability to conduct an internal monologue with themselves:

https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress...-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

IOWs, some people can't silently talk to themselves inside their brain.

How is this possible?!

So anyways, I was thinking about this as it pertains to pool and was wondering if, ferinstance, while I was playing Francisco Bustamonte at the DCC a few days ago, was I having an internal monologue during my runs during which I talked and debated with myself about what to do next on each shot.

And I came to the conclusion, that even though I can and do have internal monologues with myself, when I'm shooting pool, especially when running balls, I do not have an internal monologue going on and my thought process becomes unspoken and abstract. Crazy.

How about youz? Do you have or not have internal monologues, particularly when shooting pool?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?! Some people don’t have internal dialogues? How do they conduct themselves and think? How does a thought not internalize as a voice? My internal dialogue sounds the guy that narrated the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My daughter is a Speech Language Pathologist and she called me the other day and asked me if I had an internal monologue for which my response was "I don't know what you're talking about".

She then asked if I could hear words in my head when I'm talking to my self in my head and I said "of course not, can you"? and she said...."absolutely"

She then grilled me for about 10 mins asking questions about reading books (which I really enjoy) and I said that I move my lips but I don't hear words in my head and that I piece together plot lines that may change from time to time.

She was asking about me playing in pool tournaments and what I did for each night and it hit me that I mentioned in an earlier thread on AZ that I go to the bathroom after every match and wash my hands and look into the mirror and say out loud.."I'm going to beat my next opponent or I'm going to win the tournament" And then I remembered on one occasion that I walked out of the bathroom one evening and someone asked who I was talking to and I just said that I was on the phone.

It actually amazes me that people can have conversations in their head without actually talking out loud....crazy

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously?! Some people don’t have internal dialogues? How do they conduct themselves and think? How does a thought not internalize as a voice? My internal dialogue sounds the guy that narrated the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

This is amazing to me...(see above post) honestly, how do you get through the day with a voice in your head...albeit your voice with your accent, I assume.

Serious question....Does your voice ask yourself questions and then yourself answers?

That's a F----k-- up question so don't answer or just call me stupid I guess.

Edited to say...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or an ass by asking if you are talking to yourself with questions. Actually, I'm not sure what I'm asking at this point

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently read an article that was incredibly surprising to me -- that not every human being has the ability to conduct an internal monologue with themselves:

https://ryanandrewlangdon.wordpress...-internal-monologue-and-it-has-ruined-my-day/

How is this possible?!

So anyways, I was thinking about this as it pertains to pool and was wondering if, ferinstance, while I was playing Francisco Bustamonte at the DCC a few days ago, was I having an internal monologue during my runs during which I talked and debated with myself about what to do next on each shot.

And I came to the conclusion, that even though I can and do have internal monologues with myself, when I'm shooting pool, especially when running balls, I do not have an internal monologue going on and my thought process becomes unspoken and abstract. Crazy.

How about youz? Do you have or not have internal monologues, particularly when shooting pool?

Lou Figueroa

This really is crazy.

When I'm playing pool or just walking though life, I don't hear words in my head. But, pertaining to pool specifically. If I'm playing 9 ball for example and I break, I will take a look at the table and I see a picture of the table in my head.

If there are no problems, then I will see a picture of the first 3 or 4 balls that I need to run and which side of the ball I need to be on that 2nd or 3rd ball.

After the 2nd shot, I see a picture of the next 3 or 4 shots and repeat the process. In my head, I'm not hearing anything, but I'm seeing the ball come off the long rail drifting down for my next shot.

Does that make sense?

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is amazing to me...(see above post) honestly, how do you get through the day with a voice in your head...albeit your voice with your accent, I assume.

Serious question....Does your voice ask yourself questions and then yourself answers?

That's a F----k-- up question so don't answer or just call me stupid I guess.

Edited to say...

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or an ass by asking if you are talking to yourself with questions. Actually, I'm not sure what I'm asking at this point

No i actually don’t have an English narrators voice as my internal dialogue. But the sound of the voice in my head is how I would assume people would imagine their voice to sound. But I would say mine is almost more of a whisper of a voice, in my accent. Almost silently mouthing to words to myself, but not physically. I don’t need an internal voice to tell me how to use my hand to pick things up. But as I’m making decisions or debating on how to handle different situations or to accomplish goals or so on and so forth, it’s almost as if I’m listening to myself explain things in order to further explore and build on certain ideas. As I accumulate information on whatever subject it may be, my thoughts evolve through the results of self explanation and discovery of different “dialogues” or “conversations”. I may be crazy, but since I’ve been this way my whole life I assumed everyone else’s brain thought the same way. I always imagined schizophrenic people hear voices that arent theirs or their voluntary thoughts. Voices of a different dialogue telling them things they may not want to voluntarily think about.

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
My internal dialogue is in the same voice that I read with...it’s just me

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, zero, zip , nada.

When Im thinking of how to say something for instance, reading something etc, then yes, it is my own voice in my head "talking".

But when Im playing, I need to go as blank as I can. I typically sing whatever music is playing very quietly to myself.

Thinking while playing does not work for me, I need to just focus on my routine and execute. If I start thinking on purpose while playing, its almost as if there isnt enough concentration to do 2 things at once, and the thinking wins out.

When I can go blank, I run racks. Because the only things that are going on in my head is, "yep that looks good", and "yep that speed feels right", then I fire.

Threads like these go to show how different everybodys mind works. :thumbup:

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, zero, zip , nada.

When Im thinking of how to say something for instance, reading something etc, then yes, it is my own voice in my head "talking".

But when Im playing, I need to go as blank as I can. I typically sing whatever music is playing very quietly to myself.

Thinking while playing does not work for me, I need to just focus on my routine and execute. If I start thinking on purpose while playing, its almost as if there isnt enough concentration to do 2 things at once, and the thinking wins out.

When I can go blank, I run racks. Because the only things that are going on in my head is, "yep that looks good", and "yep that speed feels right", then I fire.

Threads like these go to show how different everybodys mind works. :thumbup:

This seems like a good strategy. I’m going to give it a shot, lol. My inner dialogue, like others have said is like their “reading voice”, keeps me up at night. Blocking out my thoughts seems like a tough endeavor

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, Lou has a better chance in psychology than he does in pool.

Lou, I thought I had to much time on my hands...

It's easy to see who is retired (to much time on hands) and who still works (not enough hours in the day).

At least it's not another thread about "which tip is best"...

Jeff

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How is this possible?!

Lou Figueroa

I wish my loud mouth brain would STFU and let me have peace in my life.

This is very interesting Lou, thanks very much.

Best regards,
Fatboy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, Lou has a better chance in psychology than he does in pool.

Lou, I thought I had to much time on my hands...

It's easy to see who is retired (to much time on hands) and who still works (not enough hours in the day).

At least it's not another thread about "which tip is best"...

Jeff

So Jeff, let me ask you one thing.

Which tip is best????

Lol

Fatboy <——-way too much idle time......

PS: Triangle Tips are best!!!! 15mm cut down to fit 5/32” tall. (Why is the diameter in metric and the height in imperial?)

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have or not have internal monologues, particularly when shooting pool?

Pretty sure if i could STFU in my brain on command, i could shoot better pool.

I think a big part of the appeal for some of us is the attempt to find & hold that zone where's it almost a religious experience, totally in the flow, no other thoughts but the task and execution. What i find amazing is that that is apparently easy for some (many?).

:)

smt

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Are we really just inventing a new term for being engaged in analytical thinking, asking ourselves questions, answering them, and then questioning the answers again? Does anyone actually hear voices or are you just understanding your silent thoughts? Can a mind really produce sound?

Yes, I do engage in dialogue with myself, constantly. But voices/sound? Not even when I'm thinking of a song...just words.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately many of my internal dialogues start with "you idiot".

Mine start with....and end with "you idiot"...

Ever now and again I'll be nice and just say "you moron"...

Then again, sometimes I'm in rare form and say "you idiot, your such a moron"...

We idiot's have to stick together..

Jeff

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear my inner dialogue tell me I’m not crazy for having an inner dialogue, lulz

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Jeff, let me ask you one thing.

Which tip is best????

Lol

Fatboy <——-way too much idle time......

PS: Triangle Tips are best!!!! 15mm cut down to fit 5/32” tall. (Why is the diameter in metric and the height in imperial?)

I see we have a lot in common. We both have to much time on our hands and we both believe Triangle tips are best.

Jeff >>>>>> I'm an idiot's idiot.